running

Options
Hi-

I was curious if anyone else has this issue, everytime I start to run (I ran my first 5K last month) I gain weight instead of lose weight. It frusterates me, I am hoping that I am at least making more muscle or losing inches but it seems like your more worried about the number on the scale :)

Thanks!!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You say "start to run" - do you not run on a regular basis? Or are you stopping and starting with long gaps in between? Any new exercise or workout will cause you to show a gain at first, generally just water due to sore muscles.

How much are you eating? Daily goal, do you meet it, do you eat back exercise cals?

As for the scale vs tape measure, the tape measure wins, hands down. The scale can go up and down throughout the week - totally normal for me to fluctuate 4-5lbs up and down all week long in just normal fluctuations. Or it can stick on the same number - I went six months last year bouncing between the same few pounds, but lost inches and dropped a full size during that time. The tape measure shows progress better, along with photos along the way.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Running with a heart rate monitor has helped me know actual calories burned. Because running does make me more hungry, but it doesn't justify four slices of pizza. Know how to eat back calories appropriately on running days has helped me a lot.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I've never found that running alone helps me lose weight. It makes you hungrier, and you have to eat more! I do find that when I do very high mileage it's not quite so bad, but you are a long way from that. You probably need to supplement with additional workouts, especially weight training. The primary benefit of running is the improvement in your cardiovascular system. I went from borderline high blood pressure to a very healthy, even somewhat low blood pressure.

Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If yu are just starting, particularly in the summer when it's hot, you can gain 3 to 6 pounds of extra blood volume due to heat adaptation. Additionally, your legs will begin to store additional glycogen and water for energy.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    any time I start an exercise program, I'll gain up to 6 pounds temporarily. It's glycogen plus fluid as muscle rebuilds.
  • tibmagnell
    Options
    I started running April and basically run a 5K every other day and I usually walk on the off days. I eat about 1200 calories a day so I dont feel that I am eating the calories that I burn.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You can't run if you don't eat. At least start eating half of your exercise calories back. Try drinking more water too. Both of those things will facilitate your recovery and reduce the amount of fluid in your muscles.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said about gains when you start a new exercise routine.

I was frustrated when I started running because I wasn't losing any weight. After a couple months I realized I enjoyed running, it was making me healthier but I probably wouldn't lose weight doing it. I was only running 12-15 miles a week at that time. That's when I switched it up to 20+ and in about 3 months with my new mileage I lost 9 pounds. This was with eating a moderate diet, not tracking calories, but making sure I ate a little more than normal on long run days.

I only had about 20 lbs to lose, was able to lose about 15 total with running alone but since then, I realized I needed an organized strength training program as well.

Keep at it! As far as I've figured it out, although you have to eat at a deficit to lose weight, the excercise bit of things seems to be a lot of trial and error without one size fits all solutions.
  • splashtree
    Options
    I run and i eat many calories with no problem no limit to fat well i mean meat cooked with oil whatelse sweets like cake sure not not an entire one but i have sure to fill it up my stomach, you want to burn the fat over the muscles i'm not a fanatic of the ripped plud when you're runner fat over the muscles is really little..like all the high cardio exerc usually is water..so i say that EAT a fair amount of calories when you also want to drop weight is fine you have to gain muscles.