Girls - how much does Aunt Flo affect your weight loss?

Options
Aunt Flo is visiting this week - if you know what I mean.... I've been eating really healthy and burning lots of calories everyday, but the scale has gone UP about 1/2 pound. Blah. I sure hope it comes back down next week. How does this time of the month affect your weight loss?

Replies

• myrtle_tia
    Options
    I gain between .5 to 1kg in the week, its due to fluid retenton
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it's water weight gain so don't stress. this thread explains it all really well: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1015849-dear-women-of-mfp
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Up 5 this week, but back down 4.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I gain nothing. I guess I'm lucky.
  • Alioops831
    Alioops831 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    it's water weight gain so don't stress. this thread explains it all really well: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1015849-dear-women-of-mfp

Shark Week. Hahaha. Thanks for the info.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've gained up to 3 lbs.. since I weigh everyday I tend to notice. Only up about 1.5#'s this time.. but ya, on the same page today. Heavy foods call my name.. I eat more the first 4 days of it.. when I'm feeling really bad.. then I shape back up. By the end of it I generally weigh the same as I didn't before her visit... then start watching what I eat again.
  • startheory
    startheory Posts: 63
    Options
    Anywhere from 2 to 3 lbs. I try to avoid the scale that time so I don't get mad haha
  • nm_353
    nm_353 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Aunt Flow just happens to be visiting here lol. Anyhow, I gained about 1.5 lbs the first 2 or 3 days, ( which is normal, sometimes I gain even 3 lbs more for just a couple of days), This time was different however, my diet must be paying off, because I'm now 1.5 lbs less than right before I started :) Ive gone from 155 to 139 total in the past 2 months. It's been HARD!!!
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i usually stall out a week before and then go up 2 lbs it drops normally on the first or second day
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ladies, please, do not see this as an abnormal or bad thing!

It's all water weight and the increased thickness of endometrial tissue in the uterus. This is not weight gain. This is a normal, physical event. Your body holds water so you don't dehydrate while losing fluids. Isn't our body smart?

What we REALLY need to worry about is not killing stupid people until our hormones settle down.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I can easily gain 5 pounds of water weight during that time but it's gone within a week.
  • EmerLiverpool
    Options
    I generally lose weight (a few lbs) given to the fact that i feel really sickly and lose all my appetite :( but afterwards i feel better (and starvingg!!!) then i make up for it by eating everything i see!! haha
  • vickilowell
    vickilowell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do NOT weigh myself on "that week".....and then there's no stress. It all comes right back off. The other people have explained it very well.
  • FauxBoho
    FauxBoho Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself in the lead up to my period. I definitely gain a couple of pounds.
  • Alioops831
    Alioops831 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

It's all water weight and the increased thickness of endometrial tissue in the uterus. This is not weight gain. This is a normal, physical event. Your body holds water so you don't dehydrate while losing fluids. Isn't our body smart?

What we REALLY need to worry about is not killing stupid people until our hormones settle down.

When they DO settle down, THEN kill them. Haha.
  • Hollyhobby22
    Hollyhobby22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i have gained up to 10lb and had it come right back off. its just water don't stress.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options

When they DO settle down, THEN kill them. Haha.

^^^^thanks for a good laugh.
    yeah. I agree BTW
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Expect some weight fluctuation during shark week. Generally speaking the significant other gains several pounds, but loses it during her next weigh in and her weight continues to drop normally, which is typically indicative of water weight gain (retaining water.)

Also, if you exercise or do a little something-something it'll make shark week end faster.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. As if the general irritability wasn't enough. Now i'm trying to not eat everything in sight and i"m still seeing the scale at a gain. I know there is no way I haven't lost this week. NO WAY. Water retention GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I don't use it as an excuse to eat chocolate and poutine and I do ok.

I also heard somewhere that the health of your liver effects the way you break down hormone overloads that cause PMS, and I do feel that the healthier I am, the less it gets to me