5K or Not to 5K

Options
I'm debating on signing up for my first 5k. There is a 5K event being held in Nashville, TN in about 3 weeks (Miles for Hope http://www.milesforhope.org/ ). There will also be one held in Atlanta in November. Quick back story, I was diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma (a noncancerous brain tumor of the auditory/facial/balance nerve) on 8/14/2011. I first heard about Miles for Hope (they raise money for brain cancer research) last year. I started to train with my C25K app in hopes to do this 5k in July (jogging and no walking).

In the midst of training, I was told on Nov. 2012 I would have to have surgery to have my tumor removed. It was removed on Jan 22, 2013 and I've been very blessed with the outcome. I'm one of the rare few that to see me you would never know I had one of these tumors. I still have my hearing at pre-surgery levels, very little balance issues, and no facial droop/paralysis.

Ok, my point is I really would love to do this 5k even if I have to run/walk it. I want to raise awareness for brain cancer and also say 5.5 months after surgery, I did my first 5k. I tried a fun run on my app this morning for 3 miles. I slowed down more than I would have liked to at the end (still working on my pacing), but I completed in 48.5 minutes. The event allows an hour to complete.

So, with my long explanation, should I sign up (deadline is today) for the July 5k or just hold out for the November event or none of the above and wait until I'm back a pre-surgery level jogging?

Replies

• bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If you can do the distance then go for it no point waiting till November, this way you get to do both
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    DO EEEEETT! Heck, do both! This is clearly important to you and you don't have to run it to win it; just running it is fantastic. So I say, GO GIRL GO!
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sign up! Walk it, jog it, run it, whatever; just getting out there is the main thing, and it sounds like you could do that no problem. You don't have to be able to jog the whole thing to go for it! What a story you have, I'm so glad you're doing so well post-surgery.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Yes, on so many levels, YES! It's a fun challenge, a way to get your exercise AND helps highlight a great cause.
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do it! If you can make it under the time limit now, a couple more weeks of training will give you even more of a boost and race-day adrenaline will help as well! Make sure to taper off your training the last week or two - don't do a long run the weekend before or the week leading up, just a couple light jog/walk combinations to stay loose. Google race training and you'll find more tips, for longer races (10k +) they say your longest/hardest training run should be two weeks before the race. You'll finish fine, and with more time to train well next year you'll crush your time!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Do it now. While waiting would be understandable, you never know what might crop up between now and November and get between you and your goal. If you did 3 miles in 49 minutes today, you should be able to do 3.2 in 60 mins next month. Even if you don't run/jog any or all of the race, you could likely walk at a brisk pace and finish within the time limit! Get out there and have fun, celebrate your recovery.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think you should go for it!
    Then do the one in November and see how much you have improved!
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Go for it!! You can totally do it in July. Also, you'll have your first 5k happily under your belt and you will already know what to expect come November. Enjoy!!
  • tnbrown28
    tnbrown28 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the great replies! :happy: And the push I need to get off the fence. Going to sign up today for Nashville and Atlanta.
  • mrsappleblossom77
    mrsappleblossom77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!!!!!!!! I had surgery for an Acoustic Neuroma in September 2012 and I just ran my 1st 5k (Breakthrough for Brain tumors) on June 1st. I had never run before in my life prior to surgery. I ran and walked, but I finished! It is very empowering! I'll be doing the "virtual" Miles for Hope Atlanta race. Sending you a friend request.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Go for it!

So what if you have to go slower or walk some? You're getting it done. And once the race day endorphins kick in, you'll probably surprise yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Will you regret NOT doing it? If so, then you should absolutely do it. Plus, races are FUN! Such great energy with a very supportive group of people.
  • tnbrown28
    Options
    @mrsapplebloss HI fellow ANA survivor. Always great to meet others and hear their stories. And cool you're doing the "virtual" Miles for Hope!
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Haha, not only have you made up your mind, you decided to sign up for two.

I love it!
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    yes - do both. It will be great inspiration and motivation!
  • tnbrown28
    Options
    @Karrie262 I guess I just needed a big push. But yep, going to do both (& try to raise money for the one in Atlanta) I was just afraid I was still on the too slow side
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k in April. Trust me, there will be people walking the whole thing. I didn't sign up for one a year ago when a friend asked me to do it with her because I knew I couldn't jog the whole thing. I thought I would be embarassed if I had to walk. Stupid. Nobody cares, nobody even notices. Do it, so you don't regret it like I do.
  • Hollyhobby22
    Hollyhobby22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Do it even if you have to walk it will be fun. I walked the race for the cure Columbus a couple of years ago and had a blast doing it.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question when you said 'I would really love to do this 5k'. It's healthy, it's for a good cause, and you want to do it - I don't see any reason at all not to!

Even if you end up walking some/all/most of it, you won't be alone and it's still a fun experience. Go go go.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    do it do it DO IT....you can do this distance no problem.. I am a run walker, with bad knees ( and a brain issue) and I have done five halfs and several five KS.. go for it sweety.... it is a victory for you and others who have brain injuries.