Alloted Dessert Calories?

Options
In my attempt to try MFP again, and not make myself feel deprived, I am thinking about setting aside a certain amount of daily dessert calories. I have a massive sweet tooth, and love my end of the day sweet treat. But, I realize this end of the day treat can greatly hinder my progress. Has anyone had success with setting aside daily dessert type calories and still losing weight? I'm thinking 200 calories would be a good daily goal to stay under for this. Any thoughts?

Replies

• ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If that keeps u under calories for the day than go for it!
  • redtalent
    redtalent Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like a great idea! I love my desserts too and this way you can experiment with new healthier options for dessert. Check out http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/ for some awesome inspiration!
  • shellgirl144
    Options
    I have something sweet every day. I don't set aside any specific amount of calories each day because it may change. Some days I want cookies, some days its cake, ice cream, or chocolate. Some days, a bowl of cereal is enough to satisfy my sweet tooth. However, if I don't have enough colories left for what I want to have, then I don't have it...I have something else.

I did this through my weight loss and didn't have any problems losing. I lost 43 pounds in about 9 months, which got me to my goal weight, and have been maintaining ever since.

Eating a little of what you like to eat is realistic. Depriving yourself of these things is not sustainable. I don't see eating sweets as a problem, just make sure you stay within your calories for the day.
  • RescueMom59
    Options
    Thank you guys for the tips and sharing your experiences. It's helpful to know others have had success with this too :)
  • caitlinen
    caitlinen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's a good idea. Depending on how many calories you eat a day 200 can be a lot and you'll be missing out on the proper nutrition you need. Plus, I think it's best to fix the problem... not make special room for it.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My mother was never on MFP, but she lost quite a bit of weight on her won, and she would have a hershey kiss a day. She swore by it, said it kept her motivated. There are only around 25 calories in one, and it's just enough sweet to help a sweet tooth
  • Kellbellftw
    Kellbellftw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I keep a box of no sugar added ice cream pops and low cal fruit popsicles in my freezer for a quick dessert that is already portioned out for me! every once in a while I make low-cal cupcakes, zucchini brownies, fruit muffins too! If you have Pinterest try looking up some healthy/lowcal dessert recipes! I use it ALL-THE-TIME! (if you don't have it, I suggest joining just for that lol)
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I always crave something sweet after dinner. I found a great compromise of a tootsie roll caramel apple sucker. They are 60 cals of deliciousness and they take awhile to eat. I plan for one every day. On weekends I might have something more substantial like pie or chocolate. It is all about moderation and allowing pleasure in life while still losing. Deprivation leads to binges, at least for me :wink:
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Of course you can :)

But I'll tell you what -- there are better and not-so-better choices. When I first started I was really anxious to have sugar free treats in the house OMGZ because I might feel deprived. I made unappetizing mixtures of yogurt and other stuff. Then I realized I could have TCBY fat free frozen greek yogurt (with !!! real sugar) for even fewer calories and it was delicious....and even sometimes the Ben and Jerrys' version....
    but now the thing I am loving most is fresh pineapple or fresh raspberries.
    So you may find that your tastes change -- but there is a way to make it work regardless.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yeah...desert, beer, wine, whatever. Just stay in your calorie goal. desert doesn't hinder weight loss so long as you're not going over on you calorie goal. Hell...desert and beer are two reasons why I started working out in addition to dieting. My goals are completely independent now, but initially, I definitely got off the couch and got moving in order to be able to eat back some of those exercise calories...or drink them back.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I do like 200 calories. Usually ice cream sandwiches. Some days its 2 of the 100 calorie ones, and some days it is one of the 180 calorie extra yummy kind.