How can i beat those late night cravings?

Options
i do pretty darn well during the day but after 10pm i get these bad cravings.. what can i do to minimize them or get rid of them without using and weight loss drugs.. i'm attempting to go at this 100 percent natural.

Replies

• _thirtytwo
    _thirtytwo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I've started having hot tea in the late evening and that seems to really work for me, as well as lots and lots of water. If I get really bad cravings I go for something with protein but as little calories as I can manage - something like an apple with a TBSP of peanut butter or a slice of cheddar cheese to go along with the tea.

Hope this is some help!
  • _thirtytwo
    _thirtytwo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    One more thing, are you hitting your fiber goals for the day? Once I really started focusing on high fiber/high protein throughout the day my cravings have gone down dramatically.

Good luck!
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I go to bed early to avoid the cravings.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Try to cut down on 'white carbs' (sugar and starches like pasta and bread) as much as you can. I find that those will absolutely spike my cravings into orbit--basically we're talking vicious circle here: for me there's no such thing as 'a bite of cake' or 'a sip of soda' :grumble:
    The no-white-carbs thing may take a couple of days to gain traction, but it definitely helps cut the cravings right down to zero.
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    Yes to everything that has been said. Especially going to bed early (if you can) to avoid the cravings. Somehow I find that my ability to resist plummets in the middle of the night. Best thing, being asleep is avoidance at it's best.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    save calories for yourself for a late night snack...problem solved.
  • goombasmom
    goombasmom Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For dinner, I try to make sure I have either steamed broccoli or zucchini with a dash of olive oil, or a spinach salad. The veggies help trick my stomach into thinking it's full, and to not give into cravings.

If not, I'll have a tablespoon of peanut butter with a drizzle of chocolate syrup. Most of the time, that does the trick.
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was having cravings last night so I just put my retainer in.... can't eat then.
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Going to bed early works and you feel more energize the next day!

I often have cravings but I'm definitely not hungry... I just feel like eating something for the "enjoyable" part of eating. Usually when I'm watching TV.

So I have two tricks if I want to watch TV: I do it sitting on my stationary bike, spending extra calories or I do elaborate designs on my nails. I still suck, I just started but it keeps me busy, it's relaxing and helps to prevent me bitting my nails after all the hard work.

And if you still can't help it just change your habits: exercise an extra 10-20 minutes: you can eat a 100 calories popcorn bag or a mini haagen-dazs bar. You have to make long term changes and if you think snacking at night will always be part of your routine, just make room for it!
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options

THIS!

But also try drinking some water first then maybe 20 minutes after some milk as it'll fill your stomach so it doesn't feel Hungary before bed
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    many good suggestions here. I'd add a bubble bath. Make some tea, let in a hot bath, drink your tea during the bath, light a candle if you want, then go to bed. Chances are that what your body really is craving is relaxation, hydration and sleep, but we're so used to misinterpreting those three as hunger.

if you really feel that isn't true for you, pop an exercise DVD into the player for a half hour, and drink a bottle of water while you're working out. The workout will relax you and take you out of that miust-have-food-now drive, it will make you thirsty so you'll get some hydration, and usually it will tamp down both your appetite and your feeling of being out of control. and if after all that you're still hungry, at least you burned off some calories to have a little snack.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

This is what I do.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    That is for sure my biggest issue too... :frown:
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd, but sometimes brushing my teeth, even if I already had a couple hours before, eliminates or reduces the craving...have no idea why it works for me though!!
  • PGG19
    PGG19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with the tea, actually anytime during the day I think I'm craving too much, I grab a cup of green tea.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Working out is a great suggestion!! The endorphins released during a workout will definitely slam the door on the cravings :bigsmile:
  • scottcjackson
    scottcjackson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Something to sip on. Ice water, green tea, or sometimes a nice glass of scotch :)
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I brush, floss and go to bed early. That's kind of a dorky solution, but it works for me.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You should check out what it is you "need". If you feel a very specific craving, there is usually a healthier option. Try to find a compromise - like vegetables with a dip or an egg white omelet with a bit of cheese.
    The easiest answer is obviously to not munch when you're not hungry, but we all know that's not very constructive. I'm sure 99% of people trying to lose weight know how, but can't beat those cravings, or rather - don't want to. When you're dying for nachos, green tea is really not an alternative...
    I'm an evening snacker so I make room for it. I will eat very healthy for breakfast and dinner. Then I can make an omelet or a second small dinner later, and some low fat snacks from Boots with a gin tonic in the evening.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I go to bed and have sex.