Increase carbs for weight loss in women?

Options
HI everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone else is having a similar experience to me.

I have been low carb for many years, with very slow success. I managed to lose about 10kgs (22lbs) over 4 years but have noticed recently that no matter what I do I cant lose any more or keep the weight off. I was eating about 1200 - 1300cals & under 50 carbs with the rest coming from fat & protein.

Recently after much frustration & my wedding creeping up I visited a weight loss focused Naturopath who told me being a Pear shaped woman (no belly fat, just hip & bottom fat) this low carb diet was not the best way for me to lose weight. She was not surprised at my struggles and suggested I up my calories to around 1400 - 1500 calories, up my carb intake to around 180 per day & eat moderate protein & fat. Well I have lost 5 kgs (11lbs) in about 4 weeks!

Have any other women (or men) lost weight by adding carbs? This goes against everything I have been told over the past few years. I'm so happy it's working for me as I love healthy carbs :)

Thanks!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I did read one paper where people where segregated according to their "insulin resistance" and when matched to the appropriate diet achieved better weight loss. I can't remember which way round it was, but low carb was better for one group and high carb the other.

I noticed you're actually quite low on protein now - what were you eating before (grams) ?
  • FitnessMind_SS
    FitnessMind_SS Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's possible that increased carbohydrate increases energy expenditure. It would seem plausible to me that some hormonal upregulation could also occur from increasing carbohydrates after a prolonged period of low carb dieting (some sort of refeed effect).

But it does not seem even remotely possible that this is occurring due to your "pear shape" or anything your naturopath told you.
  • FauxBoho
    FauxBoho Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was eating protein (and salad) as my main source of calories. 1 gram of protein per pound I weigh. So approx 150 - 170
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    We started a weight loss group in my town.. they passed out the Mayo Clinic diet and the pyramid food plan has you eating more carbs too. I prefer more protein. Not sure if it works but I may try it.
  • FauxBoho
    Options
    "But it does not seem even remotely possible that this is occurring due to your "pear shape" or anything your naturopath told you."
    [/quote]

Would you care to elaborate? Why is it not 'even remotely possible'? Please explain the weight loss if she is wrong. I would love to hear your thoughts.
  • BeeRodMul
    BeeRodMul Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've tried low-carb diets in the past and it made me crave for carbs. I decided that a balance between carbs, good fats, and protein works for me. Eating too much carbs is just as bad as eating too little.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped and have lost the majority of my weight on low carb. I can't see how being pear shaped would have anything to do with how your body loses weight.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I was eating protein (and salad) as my main source of calories. 1 gram of protein per pound I weigh. So approx 150 - 170

Wow, you've gone from a large excess to a probable protein deficiency. Hmm.
  • FauxBoho
    Options
    I'm currently trying to eat between 50 - 70 grams so it is definitely a decrease. My food diary over the past few days isn't a good indicator as I have been home sick in bed & eating simple carbs.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it simply has to do with how your system works. I've made the exact same experience (even eating just under 100 g carbs a day, which some people wouldn't even consider low carb). It doesn't work for my body.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Personally, I suspect the improvement is from increasing your calorie intake. You were probably eating too few calories on that 1200-1300 plan. Now that you are eating more, you're eating at the best deficit for your needs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This has little or nothing to do with gender or shape, and everything to do with proper nutrition and energy balance.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    carbs are my highest macro.. but I keep my focus on pro as well. My macros are 45% carbs, 35% pro, 20% fat. Food combination comes into play as well. I never eat carbs by themselves.. always with a pro source. It slows the digestion of the carbs down and helps the body use them as an energy source. High glycemic carbs if not burned will store as body fat.. so focus on high glycemic veggies, fruits, and root veggies (sweet potatoes). Bread and pasta will not help your cause in anyway. I don't suggest eating less than 100 grams of pro when eating in a deficit. You have to feed your lean muscle mass.
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    My roommate and I tried a few different things. We would do the same thing at the same time. At first we tried low carb, I LOVED it. Lost weight, felt great, enjoyed all the meat. Roommate HATED it. It was a struggle for her to get enough protein and she just wanted bread all the time. Then we tried something else that involved carbs and lots of veggies with minimal protein. She loved it and lost weight, I hated it and gained weight.

So there really is something to different ways of eating are better for different people. The key is to find out which one works for you. Good luck now that you've found one that works!
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    As a celiac, vegetarian who doesn't eat milk dairy (but does eat eggs) my carb intake is very high. Lots of rice, potatoes, fruit etc. I also have a thyroid disorder and expected to lose 0.5 lbs a week, at the most.

Three weeks in and I'm losing 3 lbs a week, eating a high (complex) carb diet, calories are 1800-2200 a day, and exercise is walking and low impact 30 min workouts.

I'm stunned at this. I've had Hashimoto's thyroiditis since the age of 24 (I'm 30 now) and have not been able to previously shift the weight that I gained when I got ill with my thyroid. High carb and plenty of calories is definitely working for me.

Had some blood tests last week and all came back with improvements. So I am thrilled :)
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body reacts differently. I was low calorie/low fat forever. The minute I went low carb, I dropped 30 lbs in 4 months and my bad cholesterol cut nearly in half. I can eat eggs cooked in olive oil with cheese all day long and have a good cholesterol level, but if I stick to a diet of whole grain pasta and bread and so forth, it jumps (and so does my weight).
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    No doctor here, but my thoughts are...

The protein drop more than the carb going up. If you dont use the protein, your body turns it into sugar and stores it as fat!

I am also pear shaped (and I dont think this has anything to do with it either) but I could not lose on low carb either, too much protein... but when I upped the fat, lowered the protein and kept the carbs low, like under 50... I finally started losing, like 12 lbs in 3 weeks....

Its called Low carb, high fat (LCHF) or the Swedish diet... or the Scandanavian Diet or nutritional Ketosis (incase you like to read up like I do) those are the google searches!

Whatever way, glad this one is working for you!!
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Personally, I suspect the improvement is from increasing your calorie intake. You were probably eating too few calories on that 1200-1300 plan. Now that you are eating more, you're eating at the best deficit for your needs.

^^^word^^^
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    IMHO I think for a person who just wants to lose weight (largely body fat), for most we need to focus more on the calorie counting side than specific macro counting - a person who may eat below a certain carb count but still eats a surplus in calories will gain weight period. But a must is keeping protein count high just as an insurance for minimal muscle loss ????
  • FauxBoho
    Options
    I have always counted calories, I have just increased them which I agree is probably part of the reason I am losing. I believe my body does not do well on low carb high protein. I have been militant in my charting & measuring so I dont eat too much fat + too high carbs and still lost nothing. I tested and was in ketosis so this was really disappointing. I'm happy I have finally found something that works for me. I'm happy to hear some people have similar experiences :)

I should add that I am 5'9 (179cm) and weigh 159 lbs (72.5kgs)
    My goal weight is 135lbs (62kgs)