If this doesn't motivate...

Options
So, with the idea that kids say the darndest things, we were driving through downtown yesterday and passed a mall with a huge theater in it, we're talking 6 floors kind of deal, stretched out quite a ways, parking garage, the whole shebang. My 3 year old daughter says, "Look daddy, it's a humongous building!" He agrees with her, and she repeats her statement, adding a lovely observation, "Daddy, that building is humongous.... just like Mommy!" Ouch!

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    You gotta love them!
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old caused my aha moment, we were in San Francisco heading towards the boat for Alcatraz. He said "Mommy, I'm scared, I dont want to go" so I asked why? He replied " Youre so big what if you sink the boat?" I was heart broken and hurt but kids are not censored so what can we do. I joined myfitnesspal right after we got back from San Francisco and so far so good,.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Before I lost weight my 4-year old told me, "Mommy, you're a giant!". I'm 5'2, so I know she wasn't referring to my height!!
    Just like you...I was hurt but couldn't say anything because kids do say the darndest things......it hurts because they ARE SO HONEST!
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, kids are too darn cute...the old saying is true, they say the darndest things. When she was a toddler, my daughter used to ask random strangers at stores if they were pregnant when they were just overweight, talk about find the closest rock to hide under!!! Lucky for them they're so cute and little, they can get away with it! I have the opposite occuring for me in my house. My kids all know I've been dieting & exercising for years and how disappointed I've been. They all say I don't need it and that I'm not big. My older boy actually gets upset when he sees me eating my "diet foods", asks why, and says I don't need them because I'm not fat. I smile & hug him. Tell him thank you & that it means so much to me. Eventhough, inside, I know he is just saying it because he wants me to be happy and he wants to be supportive. What more could I possibly ask for?? Love my kiddos! :)

I do, unfortunately, have an interesting incident that happened a couple of years ago with an adult. My family & I went to the racetrack in Santa Anna when we were stationed in California. A food vendor commented "Your life is about to change soon isn't it?" I was confused as to what she meant, so I guessed she meant if we won on a horse we bid on. So I replied "I sure hope so". Her next question was like a dagger to my chest "When are you due?" :ohwell:
    OUCH!
    My youngest at the time was about 6 years old. Needless to say I kicked my diet & exercise routine up a few dozen notches!
    Motivation INDEED!!!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    When my youngest daugter was 3, that everytime she saw a weight loss commerial on T.V she would look at me and say " Mom you should try that"!
  • metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    Kids are brutally honest, but they're also great motivators!! I can't recall my kids ever saying anything like that when they were little, but if my 19 yr old son hears me saying how fat I am, he disagrees and tells me I don't need to lose any weight. I used to wish I could go on "The Biggest Loser" show and he'd tell me all the time that I was crazy and that I don't need to. All this talk about my weight HAS affected my 16 yr old daughter and she threw it right back in my face when she complained that she was fat and I told her she wasn't...she really isn't...she's a size 2! Anyway..I asked her why she complains all the time when she really isn't fat and she said "I hear it from you and YOU'RE not fat"!!!! She caught me off guard with that one. I know I shouldn't have complained out loud about my body. I have learned my lesson.
    Sorry I'm rambling. :laugh:
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When my now 9 year old was about 5, I had joined weight watchers and took her to meetings with me and she would quietly color. I guess one time she went to her grandma's house and told her that she should join weight watchers. Yikes, I wasn't there, but felt bad just the same when I heard about it. It's hard to try and get kids to understand weight is a sensitive issue. I teach them not to use the f word (fat) but there's not much else you can do. I just hope that when people hear little kids make comments on weight, they know that it's not an insult coming from them, just an observation. After all, they are really small, so all adults are big to them, some are just a little bigger that's all.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Aw!

My son, almost 4 years old, has said some whammys, but POST-weight loss! lol A month ago, he followed me into the bathroom and said, "Mommy the toilet is little, little for my butt. Your butt is too big, it hangs over!". Then another time shortly after that, he asked why daddy doesn't have boobs, so I told him mommys make milk in them when they have babies, & he replied with a hilarious face, "Well, you need more milk!" Haaaaahaaaa! That one will never leave me! Then today, I'm putting on my bra...a pushup...and he says "Is that to give you more milk?", so sweet & innocently! Makes me want implants!!!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    it's much more forgiveable when they are little, but my 9 year old was not little enough to get away with this one. we were going for a boat ride and I was wearing my new bikini under a big t-shirt. the sun was shining and I was starting to sweat. I said, "I think I'm hot enough, I'm going to take off this shirt!" and my daughter just glared at me and said, "no, you're not."