How to go on a cleanse after eating massive amount of junk?

Options
If you look at my diary for the past week from June 8th till now, I've been eating 2000+ calories of junk food daily. I ate through a whole pack of Oreos and 3 boxes of Pop Tarts within a week among other similar things. I haven't gained a pound. In the past if I ever ate anything close to this amount, I would be heavily bloated. But this past week my metabolism's been running like a champ. I don't really exercise. The diary shows that I'm walking 3 hours burning like 500 calories a day. I'm not even sure if I'm burning that much since I don't have a heart rate monitor or measure my speed but I do time my walks. I also got my period last night so that must explain the crazy high metabolism. I think it's temporary and I hope so too because I just spent $30 on junk food that only lasted 6 days. Even though I'm not gaining weight as of now, I'm scared for my health eating 4000+ sodium and 180 grams of sugar a day. I'm ready to go back to clean eating except I never ate clean before. Monday is when I start a new semester at school so it should be a clean slate with eating too.

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    You have a functioning liver and kidneys, those do all the cleansing your body needs. Instead of trying to never eat junk food, learn how to eat it in moderation and work reasonable amounts of it into your eating habits. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You don't need to punish yourself or do anything drastic. Just write it off as a "lesson learned" and eat a healthy, balanced diet with a reasonable level of treats from now on.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Sit down, take a deep breath. It's only one week so it's not going to kill you. Buy in some decent fresh food and don't beat yourself up over it. Plan for the week ahead and if you fancy junk food then work it into your calories once a week. You'll be fine :smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You have a functioning liver and kidneys, those do all the cleansing your body needs. Instead of trying to never eat junk food, learn how to eat it in moderation and work reasonable amounts of it into your eating habits. :)

This.

Cleanses are completely unnecessary and sometimes dangerous. Just start eating well now.

I personally do an 80/20 approach. If I tried to "eat clean" I'd be very unpleasant to be around. Instead I eat nutrient dense foods that help me meet my macros 80% of the time, and then leave 20% of my calories for discretionary spending (I generally have ice cream every night and also enjoy a fair amount of chocolate).
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy foods and drink plenty of water. That's all you have to do.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean. after a bad weekend i'll feel like i need to do a cleanse. just drinking water and eating a few healthy meals and i start to feel better in a day or two.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Let's address the "800 pound gorilla" that's sitting in the middle of this room: WHY have you been eating this much garbage food? Nobody gets up every day for a week and says "I'm going to eat a whole bunch of really bad crap". There HAS to be a reason for this binge.

Find out the WHY and you can handle the WHAT.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    You do not need to cleanse yourself of the "junk" food you ate. Your body will naturally do that for you. The only cleanse you need is ridding yourself of the feelings of guilt with regard to your food intake. We all have seemingly "bad" days. Log it, figure out what you can do better next time, and move on. No laxatives or crazy cleanse recipes required.
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I just did the same but it was cause we had a party and had a lot of crap laying around the house still. I plan to drink tons of water and eat clean and stay out of the junk food pile! (hopefully hubby eats up the rest lol)
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Don't buy into this cleansing hype! And for Pete's sake, don't go buying any 'cleansing' products (unless you want to put an unholy mix of laxatives and diuretics in your body).
    The feeling that you somehow want to nix the bad stuff you've been eating is natural--I'm sure familiar with it, let me tell you!--but as someone else already mentioned, it'll go away PDQ once you start eating good stuff again. And you'll feel physically better too :smile:
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    you know the mix of stuff that comes out of your rear end? bodies have been using that particular 'cleanse' for a few billion years.

there are no quick rescue cheats. you pigged out. that's it.
    tomorrow is a new day!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    af9fU_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s320x240-181200-580.gif
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy foods and drink plenty of water. That's all you have to do.
    tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    And as your body is working hard to cleanse the junk... as stated above

Feel free to have a banana and a nut butter for breakfast and coffee if you like (black or with some milk maybe?)

any veggie you want and some hummus for a snack

a salad for lunch (some chicken or beans for protein) (watch the salad dressing... apple cider vinegar is a great addition for no calories!

an apple and some cheese for a snack

and a simple dinner of meat and veggies

and lets add an evening snack of any fruit you like. If you're hungry, add some low fat plain yogurt or a glass of low fat milk to keep you full til morning!

8 glasses of water spaced through the day

You'll feel better in no time ;)

I just did this after two weeks of eating at taco bell, in and out, del taco, sonic, the mall etc.....
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    No cleanse necessary. Drink water. Eat healthier foods.

But yes, I agree, I would be more concerned about what caused you to binge for a week. I don't think 7 pop tarts in a day is from PMS cravings!? Did you have a variety pack or did you go buy 5 different boxes of poptarts for the week? That would be the first thing I would change before the next time - if you don't bring it in the house, it's much harder to eat it! Were you craving sugar? Maybe add in more fruit instead of Twix, Oreos and Poptarts. Or maybe limit yourself to 3 treats a day or something. Just trying to offer up some suggestions.

Oreos are a weakness of mine. I could seriously sit there and eat an entire package in 2 days. So I don't buy full size packages of Oreos anymore. If I REALLY want them, I buy the snack size 6 pack. The most I can eat is 6 if that's all I have in the house. It's not great, but we have to learn our personal triggers, and how to work with them.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    eat a lot of fruits and veggies and plenty of water.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Focus on eating healthy. Have plenty of water, tea, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, meat, and dairy.

That's what I do if I eat junk food.