Zumba for the Flat-Footed

Options
Does anyone else here with flat feet do Zumba?

Replies

• fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Yes, just get a pair of good cross trainers. I love asics but find the brand that works best for your body. You might want to invest in custom orthotics.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    My feet aren't flat, but I do have a pronation issue. I either wear my running shoes to class, or stick in some arch support insoles, and I'm good to go!

My advice would be to go to a shoe store and try on a bunch of different pairs to feel which fit the best. Don't be scared to bust out some sweet moves in each pair, too, just to be sure!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Yes, just get a pair of good cross trainers. I love asics but find the brand that works best for your body. You might want to invest in custom orthotics.
    I'll look into that, thank you!
    My feet aren't flat, but I do have a pronation issue. I either wear my running shoes to class, or stick in some arch support insoles, and I'm good to go!

My advice would be to go to a shoe store and try on a bunch of different pairs to feel which fit the best. Don't be scared to bust out some sweet moves in each pair, too, just to be sure!
    Where'd you get the arch supports, if I may ask?
  • dancer1178
    dancer1178 Posts: 50
    Options
    I'm a Zumba instructor (and dance teacher) and always recommend anyone taking class to get a good pair of sneakers. Either a good pair of cross trainers, dance sneakers, or a pair made specifically for dance fitness. Nike has a great pair called Musique, they are the ones I am currently wearing. I would also recommend Capezio or Bloch. You want a comfortable sneaker with good shock absorbtion, that is lightweight, and offers good support. Running shoes are not appropriate (esp if you have a flat arch) because they are made for forward and backward movement; they grip the floor. You need a shoe that allows for twisting, pivoting and turning. Also, the shoes you wear outside are not the shoes you should wear into class. Outside shoes bring in debris that make dance floors unsafe. Hope this helped!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I'm a Zumba instructor (and dance teacher) and always recommend anyone taking class to get a good pair of sneakers. Either a good pair of cross trainers, dance sneakers, or a pair made specifically for dance fitness. Nike has a great pair called Musique, they are the ones I am currently wearing. I would also recommend Capezio or Bloch. You want a comfortable sneaker with good shock absorbtion, that is lightweight, and offers good support. Running shoes are not appropriate (esp if you have a flat arch) because they are made for forward and backward movement; they grip the floor. You need a shoe that allows for twisting, pivoting and turning. Also, the shoes you wear outside are not the shoes you should wear into class. Outside shoes bring in debris that make dance floors unsafe. Hope this helped!
    Wow, this helped a lot, thank you! I've been doing Zumba for home rather than in a studio because I need to drop out of almost every song. I'm currently using a Sketchers running shoe (can't remember the name) because that's the only pair of sneakers I own (I bought these specifically when I began running again). Don't know if I'll be able to afford another pair of shoes for Zumba, but I'll see. Thanks again!
  • dancer1178
    dancer1178 Posts: 50
    Options
    Glad I could help! I don't know why you have to drop out of every song, I wouldn't pry, but I hope that you know that you can take your time and don't have to "mimic" your instructor's every move. Zumba is about feeling the music and is made for all levels. If your class is too intense, find another in the area that's more your speed. I also hope I am not overstepping! Just don't want anyone discouraged :) Awesome that you've continued it at home! I always get lazy at home lol.
  • JankaLee
    JankaLee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used to do Zumba three times a week until my instructor changed her schedule and then said she would be quitting. My feet are as flat as a pancake but I get fitted for shoes at a local shoe store in town. You have to find a shoe that is appropriate for your feet. Where you are flat footed and are likely to have your ankles cave in you need a high stability shoe. I love my Saucony Guide 6s.
  • coachlashawnb
    coachlashawnb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this post! Thanks to everyone for the advice and especially the instructor for the encouragement. I've gotten 2 pairs of shoes last week but haven't been able to try them yet: Nike Flex and a pair of Skechers Flex. Not sure if either of those will work for my weight and these EXTRA flat feet, but I'm willing to give them a try. My fave running shoes (Adidas Marathon 10) don't hurt my feet during class, but I can't pivot easily or keep up my pace like I want.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks again for sharing/asking.
  • katdakiwi
    Options
    YAY! this is just what I needed to find. I've started doing the zumba DVD's at home, and have flat feet. I have a lot of feet trouble but haven't been able to afford to get them fixed (other medical bills were priority). I find if i don't wear shoes my ankles are killing me the next day, but that my current sneakers aren't right - i don't get ease of movement (turning etc) in them - my legs and knees end up jerking around and it gets frustrating. So thanks for this thread, its great to know i'm not the only one out there who has flat feet but loves zumba, and thanks for the shoe suggestions.

Re: having to drop out of the songs. I find there's only one routine on the dvd i'm doing that if I do try and do it it upsets an ankle injury, so I skip it, and do one of the other songs twice :) that way I don't lose out on anything, and my poor ankle doesn't end up screaming for the next day or two.
  • CammyIAmmy
    Options
    Such a cool msg board! Right up my alley. I, too, have flat feet but I've been okay thus far. It also could be because I invested in some new shoes (Nike RLBX Trainer 2) a few weeks ago which has helped my workouts improve all together.

I agree with everyone, shoes are the trick! And like the instructor said, dance at your pace. Like the quote says, "Dance like nobody's watching."

Good luck :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips on shoes that work best. I just got the Zumba Exhilerate at Costco and after the first DVD I think I am hooked. My running shoes were not doing too well on the pivots. It was fun and I almost lost it when I saw the cal burn that MFP says it does!