Embarrassing topic

Options
Hi everyone. I have a question about a slightly embarrassing topic. Actually, I have a really good sense of humor so joke away.

So, I'm a man with some chest fat that forms in the shape of ... man boobs. Ok, so the problem is, when I'm on the treadmill, the "wobbly bits" begin to jiggle and there is a serious amount of chafing. Chafing from my shirt makes my nipples hard and very sensitive, which begins to hurt and distract me.

I was wondering if this is a common problem and whether there is a simple approach to deal with it. I don't want to wear a tight shirt. A man's version of a sport's bra is out of the question. I've thought about duct tape, but that is potentially more painful. Right now I'm just grabbing my chest a lot, which probably looks funny.

Ideas welcome all around!

Replies

• figbash
    figbash Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have a question about a slightly embarrassing topic. Actually, I have a really good sense of humor so joke away.

So, I'm a man with some chest fat that forms in the shape of ... man boobs. Ok, so the problem is, when I'm on the treadmill, the "wobbly bits" begin to jiggle and there is a serious amount of chafing. Chafing from my shirt makes my nipples hard and very sensitive, which begins to hurt and distract me.

I was wondering if this is a common problem and whether there is a simple approach to deal with it. I don't want to wear a tight shirt. A man's version of a sport's bra is out of the question. I've thought about duct tape, but that is potentially more painful. Right now I'm just grabbing my chest a lot, which probably looks funny.

Ideas welcome all around!
  • lynzz
    lynzz Posts: 45
    Options
    How about a 'compression' shirt with a looser shirt on top?
  • sweetlauri70
    Options
    That was going to be my suggestion...or one of those snug fitting ribbed tanks.
  • Johnsr1971
    Johnsr1971 Posts: 11
    Options
    Man I know how you feel. I just changed my shirt for a lighter softer fabric similar to the stuff they make soccer shirts out of. You could also try a rugby shirt, the fitting ones they are very thin and breathable.
    Failing that, you coud always try those small circular bandaids for the "sensitive bits".
    I was qutes self concious about it but now I just don't care, i'm losing weight steadily and will be rid of the rechid "man boob" in a few months time.

Best of luck

John
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have heard that tapes work.. yes, it is common. You could wear a tight fitted beater shirt underneat your workout shirt - kinda like a male version of the sports bra.
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    thats what I was going to suggest....putting bandaids over them, that way they'll be protected from the rubbing.
  • bettywannabe
    Options
    I agree with the snugger shirt. As for chafing, try baby powder. It will help.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Try rubbing some cornstarch or baby powder on those parts that tend to chafe. Helps to reduce the friction w/ your shirt.
  • bettywannabe
    Options
    oh and it may help to think about using an ace bandage to bind up. No need for a manly bra! Just take the ace and wrap it around like you have broken ribs
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    There's a product out there called Bodyglide that's specifically for chafing. I've never used it, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if it would help you! I saw it at a sporting goods store today right at the checkout counter.

Good luck!
  • nat8100
    nat8100 Posts: 17
    Options
    I would suggest some kind of lubricant.. many professional long-distance runners use on their inner thighs to prevent rubbing.
  • figbash
    figbash Posts: 6
    Options
    WOW - great ideas. You guys are super. Thanks a ton.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Im going to agree with the tighter fitting tank top underneath a normal shirt.
    it stops movement for the most part,
    they also sell ones specifically for guys with the man-boob condition.
    They are probably more expensive because they are elasticy on top like the sports bra and holds them back.
    Otherwise, you can go to walmart/target or whatever store you choose and pick up a pack of regular a-shirts/tanktops for 5-10 bucks.
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    :love: moobies! I have to agree with everyone here. A tighter (much tighter, spandex-ish maybe) under a larger shirt is the best thing. Trust me... I have pretty chunky thighs and I have to wear spandex underneath a looser short, works like a charm!
  • francis904
    francis904 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Vagisil also makes a Wonderful product for chaffing. I don't recall the name, but I use it all summer long. It is great for when I get out of the pool, wear a skirt without hose or wear shorter shorts. It just takes a dab and it works wonders!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Ok, first of all, if you watch the Office, I immediately got the image of Andy in his running shirt with bloody spots where his nipples were...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, as a mom that nursed two kids I would recommend you put some lanilosh breast cream on or some bag balm. If you are too embarrassed or dont have a woman to buy the lanilosh for you I would go the bag balm route.

Bag balm can be found in the pharmacy section of any store, typically near the lotion, foot items or vaseline. It is a very thick, vaseline like product that you can apply and it will create a barrier between your moobs and your shirt (hey you said you had a sense of humor!).

After your shower put some hydrocortizone cream and some gold bond powder on the affected area and that will also help soothe your pain. I hope this helps, these are things I do when I start to chaffe in the chest area and it really helps.

Good luck, hope it gets better, oh and thanks for having a sense of humor! :wink:
  • foshizzle
    foshizzle Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I would suggest doing other less impact exercises like the bike, elliptical etc. if those are available. DO NOT Get a man bra. That would be worse. Are you lifting weights as well to tone up? Good Luck and good for you getting your exercise in!
  • atticchair
    Options
    It's a pretty common problem with runners. The ones I used to know just used bandaids.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what you tried so far to help the chesticles out :laugh:

I run but I wear two bras to keep everything in place. LEt us know what you tried and what worked for you, I am sure there are a lot of people with the same question!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Perhaps some under armour my son plays tackle football and he wears it it snug but not too tight