Blood work: Low Carb, High Fat?

Options
Has anyone had their blood work completed after being on Low Carb, High Fat? I don't care if it's a week or 3 months, I just want to know if there is a negative difference at any point in time AFTER being on this diet. I'm seriously considering and like trying new things, but I have excellent blood work. I'd hate to risk losing that.

*If you don't agree with this diet, know nothing about it or have not had actual blood work taken, then don't post. I'm just curious on blood work results please. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Not just "low carb", but "low carb AND high fat". Thanks.
    Last week, I started Low Carb, but my fat isn't high. I was considering switching it this week.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I've been doing LCHF since January 2012. My macros are ideally 10C/70F/20P, although I sometimes increase protein to 30% and lower fat to 60% (not for any particular reason....just how it works out)

Starting --> 6 months -->1 year

A1c - 7.3 -->5.5 --> 5.2

Total Cholesterol - 207 --->172 -->161

HDL - 37 --> 40 --> 53

LDL - 136 --> 109 --> 89

Triglycerides - 169 --> 116 --> 86

BP - 106/71 --> 108/67 --> 104/62

Next lipid panel will be in August 2013
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Very nice job. I'm sure the loss in weight had beneficial factors too! :)

I was just about to post another post/question. I wonder why milk has carbs, but cheese, cream cheese, sour cream and butter have very low carbs. I'm not a BIG carb eater, so doing low carbs is "easy" for me.. but I do love my skim milk!! :(
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    The simple rule of thumb is that the higher the fat content, the lower the amount of lactose (a sugar). Whole milk has fewer carbs than skim milk. Cream, cheese and butter have an even higher fat content, so there are even fewer carbs.

Luckily, I have never been a milk fan and gladly switched to unsweetened almond milk :-)
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I had a lipid panel done after about 1 year (and 60 lb. weight loss) on lower carb (<100 g/day), higher fat, moderate protein, that showed improvement in HDL and triglycerides to the "normal" range. Total cholesterol was still in the higher range ( I think its genetic, since it's been that way since my 30's). After about 2 years (this past spring), HDL was almost doubled from a year ago (into the desirable range) and triglycerides were lower, too. Cholesterol still "high". Lipid ratios were in the good range. All other blood chemistries were in the normal ranges. This is after eating crustless quiche made with eggs, cream, cheese, and bacon or sausage for breakfast almost EVERY day, butter, and full-fat dairy (don't drink milk) for those two years. My macros are set at 15% carbs (about 75g/day), 25% protein, and 60% fat.

For what it's worth, my elderly mother was told to eat a low-fat diet at some point when her cholesterol was high, and it just went higher! She takes statins--I have never been told to go on them, and I would refuse anyway.