How can i beat those late night cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• annyfanny53
    Options
    I used to fight it and I would fail...beat myself up and well you know the cycle. Now I plan four 25-30 cal snacks for just that purpose!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too! Tea or soup broth or some sort of low cal snack helps. I also find it easier to avoid it if I eat dinner around 7:30...I know that's a bit late for some, but if I eat at 6 then I'm usually hungry again right around the time that I'm trying to go to bed...usually 10-ish.
  • Kangax5
    Kangax5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, what I started doing was getting a glass of water them going to bed!
    Not an attractive solution but it is working for me.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to figure that out for 40 years, and I was not even 100 pounds when it started. Its a curse for me now, and I've gotten so up in years that I guess I'll never be able to beat it. Hope you have success.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd, but sometimes brushing my teeth, even if I already had a couple hours before, eliminates or reduces the craving...have no idea why it works for me though!!

^^^ THIS!!!!

Odd as it seems, it also works for me! But I will also admit that I have cut out my heaviest starches/carbs in the evening. I no longer eat heavy at night. I eat high protein/high fiber for dinner now. I noticed a huge difference in my cravings at night. It worked for me, maybe it will for you also? No white bread, baked potato, rice, pasta for dinner... for some reason you get wildly hungry before bed. Hope you find something that works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • trured72
    trured72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for re-reminding me to watch my carbs. I only do brown rice and wheat bread, but I love potatoes, french fries, etc. :smile:
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have been buying fudgesickle popsicles that are 40 calories each and have two of them for a total of 80 calories in the evening. It works for me.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I go to bed. Sleep cures almost everything.
  • shruti90
    shruti90 Posts: 8
    Options
    I have a cup of green tea with organic coconut oil ( 2 tbs). The taste of coconut takes toll on my taste buds ! DON'T reach out for carbs at any cost or else you will start a vicious cycle . Go for healthy FATs (MCT'S) or a protein snack !
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I do not allow myself to eat after 8 pm, usually by 11 pm is when my late night binge wants to start, so for me I go to bed so my mind isn't focused on that. I don't get those late night cravings all the time anymore, but they use to be bad.

I find that it's usually caused by being bored.
  • joshplus
    joshplus Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of good ideas here: brush your teeth, go to bed early, save calories and exercise are all things that work for me. One other thing I've done is found something that's relatively healthy and low calorie that can eat later in the night if I want something sweet. My cravings are usually for sweet things.

My main go-to item is a FiberOne brownie and a glass of unsweetened almond milk. With a total of 120 calories, it's pretty light and it make me feel like I've had a nice treat. The fiber in it helps me keep full which is also nice.

Honestly, I'd prefer regular milk but I can't really have much dairy so after some trial and error, I've switched to unsweetened almond milk which is the closest thing I've found.
  • LadyAsrai
    LadyAsrai Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I second (or third, or fourth) the idea of tea, which I drink pretty much constantly. Another thing I use is those teeth-whitening-strip-things, which I put on a bit after I've brushed my teeth. They actually prevent you from putting anything in your mouth for about an hour, so that's helpful.
  • HeatSeeker61
    HeatSeeker61 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Divide your Daily Calories into Five meals and space them to work with your schedule.
  • carasnewlife
    carasnewlife Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I go to bed. And if I want to stay up, I brush my teeth. It helps somehow.
  • Sagitta13
    Sagitta13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    save calories for yourself for a late night snack...problem solved.

^^
    I always crave something sweet, and used to have a bad habit of pigging out on snacks late at night lol. Since I usually stay up pretty late every night, I save room for a small meal. Cottage cheese, strawberry jam, and sunflower seeds has been the trick for me. Fills me up and I don't go to bed feeling hungry.
  • kjm123079
    kjm123079 Posts: 43
    Options
    I drink a lot of water in the evening. Also you can put all sorts of things such as fruit in water in the fridge and when the cravings hit, there is the water with a little sweet taste. My favorite is fresh strawberry/kiwi.

You can look online for dozens of recipes of things to add to water to give in great taste with barely any calories.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I go to bed. Sleep cures almost everything.

Yeah, I do this as well. I also drink a lot of water throughout the day.
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If I have calorie room, I try to eat a protein-rich snack before bed. Cottage cheese comes to mind. Or celery and peanut butter.

If I don't have calorie room, I drink tea or coffee. The hot beverage makes me sip it slowly.