Indoor workout routine or dvd

Options
Hi! I'm new here and am looking for a good workout routine or dvd that is effective. I am a single full time mom. With my busy schedule I only have time after my two year old daughter goes to sleep so I cannot go to a gym or even leave the house. I desperately want to get into shape but am limited on time except late nights or early mornings. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've recently starting using my Netflix instant queue to try different work out videos... If you have Netflix, it's a great option.
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I love the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home dvds. I don't know where you are with your exercise routine right now but they are basic enough that a beginner can use them, but you can also work yourself into the higher intensity once you are more used to working out so you'll still get a good workout. I used them when I first started out doing ANY type of exercise and I still use them on days that I can't get to the gym and still get a really good workout. And if you get one with several miles on it (like the 5 mile Fat Burning Walk or the 5 Mile "A Mile Each Morning) then you can start out with just one mile and add another as you feel ready so that's a good thing too. Good luck!!
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I've recently starting using my Netflix instant queue to try different work out videos... If you have Netflix, it's a great option.

I agree about the Netflix too. . .I just discovered I could do that so that's pretty cool too!
  • afeinberg
    afeinberg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    welcome - i am in the exact same boat - single mom to a 6 yr and 3 yr, working full time - right now i use the beachbody products - ts chalean exterme and turbo jam and tubo fire - i have used jillian michales in the past with good success - if you are a comcast customer there are lots of workouts on demand
  • kimbertly
    kimbertly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use the wii. I can't afford wii fit right now, but wii sports works just as well, especially the boxing for cardio.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to do Leslie Sansone's DVD's. I have the 1-4 mile DVD and some days I do 2 miles and other days 3......its versatile and is a great workout.
  • ChasTnchick
    Options
    Thank you all!! These are great suggestions! I am giong to check into them immediately. I am a beginner as far as the work outs, plus I really need to stop smoking! I was afraid to stop because I feared I would put more weight on but it is going to affect my work out! I really appreciate all of your help!
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    My favorite is Yoga Meltdown by Jillian Michaels!!!

I don't have that netflix but my cable has fit-tv! I record those and then do them in the am so I can fast forward through the commercials lol
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I was a single Mom with a 2-year old and it IS really hard to find time to fit in workouts. I didn't have money for a gym and my daughter already spent 9 hours in day care while I worked, so I wasn't about to put her in for another hour or so of day care just to work out! When I first started, there weren't as many options and fitness tapes (only VHS tapes in those days!), so I got up at 5:00 a.m., put on the radio (iPods hadn't come out yet, either!) and ran laps in my kitchen! I did that every morning for years and my co-workers and family have laughed at me over it, but it kept me fit!

I'm now 47 and my daughter is 15 and works out with me, so it's a lot easier! There are so many great workouts on the market. I love the Beachbody products: TurboJam, ChaLean and Insanity are the current faves at my house. They seem expensive, but you get multiple different workouts on the DVDs, so it's a different workout every day, which I love and we mix them up and create our own program

You'll just have to keep trying new things until you find something that works for you and your child's schedule. I preferred the early mornings just because I knew that I could get in my workout without something else needing my attention - and I enjoyed spending the 30 or so minutes all to myself. If you wait until the end of the day, so many other things can come up that it always seemed harder trying to find time to fit in the exercise.

Best of luck!
  • Fiedems
    Fiedems Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The library is a cool place to get DVD's. I have the Biggest Loser Workout right now, but have a zumba one on reserve. That way I can switch it up every 14 days and know IF I buy something that I will already like it.

Plus your daughter will love going with you during the day.
  • ChasTnchick
    Options
    Thanks!! I have started doing my own thing from looking at different workouts on tv including the turbo jam until I have the extra cash to buy a new dvd. It really does help me by getting up earlier and working out. I'm so worn out by her bed time and have so many other things at home to do in the evenings. That 30 minutes to myself is very nice, turn on the pandora and kick butt!! lol, I appreciate everyone's wonderful input and ideas!!
  • ChasTnchick
    Options
    How well do you like the biggest loser work out so far?