any other binge/compulsive eaters out there?

Options
I have overcome this battle before in life but it is again staring me right in the face today. Any advice/old tricks that help you relax and not binge? I'm slowly (but very surely) doing damage to my body, and I'm starting to really get scared.

Replies

• creamnshugar
    creamnshugar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I eat healthy all day and then BAM it hits me and i eat like a handful of this and a bowlfull of that and just eat and eat. i would love to hear what others have done to stay clear of this. I have tried lots of water and fruits and veggies and stuff. but still nothing!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am a binge/compulsive eater too. It really sucks, so I'm anxious to read the tips ppl reply with. I think we have to think extra hard before eating something so we don't overdo it. And I know I really beat myself up about a binge afterwards, so I think we have to watch that too. Together, we can band together and win!
  • Nancyjsp
    Nancyjsp Posts: 29
    Options
    Have you tried Overeaters anonymous? You can attend meetings on line or go in person to a face to face meeting. I find working the 12 steps really helps. Good luck!
  • lessofme24
    lessofme24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ditto....this is me totally and completely. I am a teacher and was off for the summer, and the lack of structure was killing me. Now that I'm back to school I'm trying really hard to avoid binging by having a VERY rigid diet plan for the day. I'm eating Lean Cuisines, snack packs, anything that has controlled portions. I'm afraid if I sat down in front of a "regular" meal, I would not be able to control my portions. I'm hoping to do the lean cuisines until I get a good start on my weight loss, and hopefully just knowing that I've got a start will keep me motivated and help me avoid binging.

Good luck to you!!!
    I am the same way. I eat healthy all day and then BAM it hits me and i eat like a handful of this and a bowlfull of that and just eat and eat. i would love to hear what others have done to stay clear of this. I have tried lots of water and fruits and veggies and stuff. but still nothing!
  • lessofme24
    lessofme24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have never attended a meeting, irl or online. I did, however order some books on the OA philosophy and the 12 steps. I also found a couple of good ones on binge eating and the addiction part of it. If anyone is interested I can share the titles/authors.

Have you tried Overeaters anonymous? You can attend meetings on line or go in person to a face to face meeting. I find working the 12 steps really helps. Good luck!
  • jessicajoy87
    Options

I bought the OA boom with the 12 steps in it. My husband is in AA and oes the 12 steps and has been sober for almost 8 months.
  • jenny2x
    jenny2x Posts: 7
    Options
    I do the same thing. I try to be more aware of how I feel when I do it. Usually I'm stressed or sad when this happens. This doesn't work every time, but it's helpful...I have a small business card sized piece of paper with 10 reasons I want to eat healthy and lose weight. When i get stressed I read it and focus on each thing on my list. If I pull it out and read it as soon as I get the urge to binge it helps. If I wait too long, then all hope is lost. I find that if I focus on other things then sometimes that urge to binge evenutallly subisides. Also, my husband and I have a "code" for when i start to over do it. He says "wow, that looks good." I become more aware of what I'm eating, and I don't get embarrassed or feel like I've been reprimanded. Just a couple of suggestions. Good luck, and I hope this helps!
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    I am a serious binder...especially when it comes to sweets. I have done well lately by consoling myself. When I get the urge to start binding I tell myself I can eat (if I still want to) after I do this one little thing first. Then I go for a walk or do some little project. There is no food when I'm out walking and by the time I get back my system is to worked up to eat. If I'm doing a little project like sewing or a little cleaning job I usually get so involved I lose interest in eating. When I'm done I let myself eat but I don't usually want to by then or it is time to eat anyway.

I think my binding usually starts with nervousness so calming myself down is my best chance of gaining control.
  • ashelton29
    Options
    Hello! i know how you are feeling... :flowerforyou:

I have binged/purged for over 10 years now... and even tho I am better, it is still a constant battle. I have had counseling, behavior therapy & medicines(anti anxiety & depression) but nothing has really helped long term. I just have to take it one day at a time. Things that work for me: I try to keep my mind super occupied so I dont sit & fantasize about eating & gorging until i barf (sorry so graphic) :sick: I also find that writing blogs & expressing my feelings in an online journal helps alot. If I am getting all my frustrations out, then I have no reason to feel ashamed & guilty & start the viscious cycle all over again! I am also very conscious about what I buy at the grocery store... i avoid anything i may find tempting to binge on. I try to stay very hydrated & drink lots & lots of fluids during the day... i find that drinking a gallon of water per day keeps me fairly full & running to the loo quite a bit & I feel detoxified. Also, to keep my hands busy I give myself little mini manicures 2x a week so when the urge to plow into a bag of chips hits, you wont be able to with wet fingernails. Also, use crest white strips at night (when my bingeing is the worst!!!) so i have them on my teeth for 30 + mins and usually my cravings subside after I put that gunk on my teeth. Another thing is to reward yourself... not by eating... but, treating yourself - say to a new pair of heels, a massage, or a pedi, or something as small as a new bottle of fingernail polish!!! :love:

Good luck to each of you who are struggling with this disorder... I truly know how awful it feels to feel out of control & worthless! Just remember you are WORTH it & you WILL overcome your struggles one day at a time!!!!!
  • bree5291
    bree5291 Posts: 50
    Options
    thank you SO much for all of your responses. like many of you, i have tried numerous things and haven't found permanent success in some of them, but it never hurts to try again. good luck to all of you, and thanks again!
  • mrsmommie08
    Options
    I'm a binge eater/emotional eater, if there is food I will eat. I am starting to look at food in a different light. I also suffer with depression and anxiety. What I hear is it takes 30 days to unlearn something. I look at what I am about to put in my mouth and think....is this really worth losing my life over? Is this worth not seeing my daughter get into prek or kindergarten? My health can't handle it anymore and I just cant imagine leaving my loved ones like that. I have found new things. If I'm mad, instead of stuffing my face with everything possible. I stop myself ( oh, the will power it takes!) and make a concious choice to turn around and take a shower, look at pictures, find math problems online, anything other than put that food in my mouth. I am worth more than that! Food is slowly becoming less important to me. When you finally put it, in its place....you feel a wonderful peace. I know this was long and I'm sorry its all rambles but hopefully this will help someone. Food just isn't worth anyones life. It is nothing but fuel for the body. Thats what I have to tell myself everyday. It shall be something I have to face for the rest of my life but I am sooooo going to beat it and stomp it into the ground!

Also if it is possible: planning every meal of the day from breakfeast to dinner and snacks helps. I know yall can beat this!
  • bree5291
    bree5291 Posts: 50
    Options
    you will beat this. use food as a tool, not as a weapon.