Weight vs Dress size???

Hi guys! I'm new to weight loss and myfitnesspal so I should probably give you some stats about me.
My HW was 100kg or 220lbs.
My CW is 94kg or 206lbs.
My GW is 60kg or 132lbs.
I'm 5ft8 :)

Anyway, my big question is... April 2012 I weighed 96kg and was a UK size 14. I got up to 98kg and became a UK size 16.
I now weigh 94kg which is less than I did to begin with but I still can't fit into a 14?
Does anyone have any suggestions why?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Was it the same dress you fit into before?
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Dont sweat it. I wear a size 14 in one brand and a 10 in another. Different designers cut "their" way.
  • It was the same dress! I feel a bit cheated as if this lifestyle change isn't working? :(
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Body composition. Work on lowering your body fat - strength training and plenty of protein will help with that, as well as maintaining a moderate (not extreme) caloric deficit - and the inches will go down.
    I'm 5'10" and a little under 170 pounds and I wear a size 8 in pants, a 6 in dresses, and a small in shirts.
    There are women who weigh considerably less that are considerably larger because of the difference in body composition (Body Fat %, lean muscle mass).
    Muscle doesn't weight more than fat, but it does take up less space per pound.
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Weight vs dress size can be a very odd thing. Your shape may have changed. Where and how you store your weight could be different than it was before. Perhaps before your weight was even over your whole body and now its mainly in one area.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    I prefer to emphasis more on size than wieght, because you can loose or gain about 10 pounds and wear the same size. Then you won't be stressed to much! Your weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds in a day! In the lone run isn't abbout the size clothes you will be buying?
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Body composition. Work on lowering your body fat - strength training and plenty of protein will help with that, as well as maintaining a moderate (not extreme) caloric deficit - and the inches will go down.
    I'm 5'10" and a little under 170 pounds and I wear a size 8 in pants, a 6 in dresses, and a small in shirts.
    There are women who weigh considerably less that are considerably larger because of the difference in body composition (Body Fat %, lean muscle mass).

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

Fat takes up more space than muscle!

Best thing I did was to buy some withings scales which show me body composition. If I hadn't I would be extremely frustrated because I would purely be focusing on weight and that is absolutely incorrect.

I lost a lot of fat very quickly (under six months) but I didnt gain a lot of muscle over that time. In the last 2 months my overall weight loss has slowed but because my scales show body composition I can see that I am now gaining muscle but my fat continues to decline, hence my overall weight doesnt change a lot.

As fat takes up more space than muscle, my clothing sizes are changing but my weight isnt.

Hope that helps :)
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member

this
    looks like you have more fat this time. Fat is taking up more space so you are bigger at the same weight. You have gained mostly fat and now you are losing fat AND muscles. To prevent muscle loss eat 1g of protein per 1 lbs of lean body mass (if you don't know your lean body mass, 120 g for a women 5'8 should be ok) and do some resistance training: lifting weight, body weight resistance like push ups, pull ups or machine training.
  • Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    I prefer to emphasis more on size than wieght, because you can loose or gain about 10 pounds and wear the same size. Then you won't be stressed to much! Your weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds in a day! In the lone run isn't abbout the size clothes you will be buying?

Not at all! It's way to difficult in the U.S. to go by size. It varies so much from store to store and brand to brand. I tried on 2 size 12's the other day at Sears. One pair was a little loose and the other pair I couldn't even get over my hips! It's better to go by how you feel and how you look in your clothes regardless of what the tag says.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Muscle is more compact then fat. Here's a great picture (hope this works):

fat-v-muscle.jpg
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    I had this same problem. I got back down to 60 kg after gaining some weight, but found that I couldn't fit into my old pants that I wore at that weight. It's definitely body composition. You have to work on fat burn. I lost the weight quickly so I imagine a lot of it was muscle rather than fat which leaves me a bit larger than if I had lost it in fat. I've been doing strength training for two weeks so far and I haven't seen much progress yet but hopefully will soon. I just want to wear my old clothes again.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    c356769fb7b22815a3a6f47cc8bdbcec.jpg

Demonstrating how muscle is alot more compact than fat

lift those weights
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    I've gotten down to what I weighed 7-8yrs. ago..........the clothes I saved fit differently in different places, some not at all......"stuff" has shifted and I'm wearing everything from size 4 (!!!!!) to 10 (much more realistic).
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102

Agreed.
  • A difference of 2 kg (4.4 lbs) isn't usually enough to drop a dress size.
  • I weigh 275lbs and I pretty consistantly wear a size 16. I actually have such a funny body that I can't wear plus sizes. Size means nothing! I would rather clothing fit and look good than brag I got into a size 2. Every store has differe int sizing. Working retail for 15 years I can tell you even the stores sizing varies on fabrics and their quality. Sizing is a myth.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    We are about the same stats...add me if you'd like.

SW: 221 lb
    CW: 208
    GW: 150

I currently still wear a US size 16 (even that is sometimes a little snug). I would love to be a size 8 but will settle for a size 10.
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Hi guys! I'm new to weight loss and myfitnesspal so I should probably give you some stats about me.
    My HW was 100kg or 220lbs.
    My CW is 94kg or 206lbs.
    My GW is 60kg or 132lbs.
    I'm 5ft8 :)

Anyway, my big question is... April 2012 I weighed 96kg and was a UK size 14. I got up to 98kg and became a UK size 16.
    I now weigh 94kg which is less than I did to begin with but I still can't fit into a 14?
    Does anyone have any suggestions why?

Don't worry about it I when shopping last week fit into a size 8 *us then in another size 12 *us all depends on the style of the clothing but lets just say I went with the 8 lol
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    also fabrics when washed over n over can shrink ect.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    A difference of 2 kg (4.4 lbs) isn't usually enough to drop a dress size.

Actually this is not true. It depends on the body composition.

I have lost an overall of 5lbs in the last month but my body composition has changed dramatically.

People tell me I lost a lot of "weight" in that time but I really didnt.

Sure I lost about 11lbs of fat but I also gained 6lbs of muscle so the overall scale weight is a 5lb loss, however the change in body composition was enough for me to go from a Levi's 32 to a Levi's 30. (UK 14 to UK12)