how to quit smoking and maintain it without gaining weight

Options
I'm in this tiring cycle of going off and on smoking. I'll quit smoking for 2 months then I'll be on it again, I'd start with one stick a day and gradually go by a pack a day again,,, then i'll stop for a month, and when work stress overloads, i'll be back on a pack a day again. And when I'm not smoking, my weight would blow up cause I'd just be munching on junk food just to make myself happier for a moment (but we all know that's just gonna kill me in the long run anyways). For those who's been off smoking and maintaining it while losing weight, how do ya'll do it?

Replies

• holdingon2faith793
    Options
    Bump!
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking three years ago, and started grad. school 2 years ago - between these two things, I gained 30 lbs. However, when I quit cold turkey and told myself I could eat whatever I wanted for 1 week to get past the "bad cravings," and then after that I had to go back to eating healthy and exercising. The 'going back to health eating and exercising' never really happened (until now, lol)... so I don't suggest taking this route. Honestly, I probably should've used the patch or gum...

Ultimately, my fiance was a huge support because he quit with me. Also, after quitting I started noticing a difference in my lung retention - I could hike with less shortness of breath, my cardio at the gym got better, etc... this was motivating for me. I started exercising when I was stressed (instead of smoking). I also got addicted to ginger candy chews (2 pieces for 40 cals) - you could use any candy really as long as you log it. Careful with too much sugar free candy or gum though because it'll give you the runs.

Good luck, you can do this!
  • Zewwy
    Zewwy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This is a great question, the fear of gaining weight while quitting keeps a lot of ppl smoking even if they would like to give it up.

When quitting any habit/addiction, it's important to understand what that thing does for you. You said you smoke in response to stress, so it clearly helps soothe you in some way. Do you also smoke when you're hungry? After eating? Happy? Sad? Angry? Self-hating? Uncomfortable? Do you smoke when you leave or arrive somewhere? In the car? When you're alone? With friends? Out of boredom? Do you smoke because it's the only way you can get a little 5-minute break?

Once you identify the reasons why you smoke (there could be dozens), you can start to conceive of other ways to meet those needs. If your concern is that you sometimes smoke in order to have something to occupy your hands & mouth, then healthy low-cal snacks are a good replacement. Or let's say you smoke because you need a break - try taking a bottle/glass of water, going to a space where you can be alone, and slowly drinking it, telling yourself that it's your time away from everything. Thinking about each situation, you can create plans for what to do OTHER than snack.

You also might find it helpful to ask yourself WHY you want to quit? What's wrong with continuing to smoke your whole life? You undoubtedly have some very real reasons why you don't want to continue smoking. Try writing all of them down and reflecting on it. This will give your motivation a stronger foundation. You can also tie in losing weight to this type of exercise: why do you want to lose weight? What will change for you if you do? How are your smoking & eating connected?

Since you've noticed that work stress triggers you to start smoking again, you need to do some work to prepare for that stress. What is another, healthier way you could cope? Could you make changes at work to reduce your stress? Is your stress predictable (ie. month end, certain clients, etc.)? Or is it unpredictable? Do you know how to recognize the signs in yourself that you're reaching that point where you'll have a smoke?

My personal coping skill was to do tons of yoga and breathwork. I joined YogaGlo so I could afford to do as many classes as I wanted, at any time. I gave myself the freedom to drop everything and go do a quick yoga practice. This helped when I was itching to have a smoke or cram junk food in my mouth (because you can't do those during yoga.) After the physical exercise, the time-out, and deep breathing of my practice, I usually felt like a new person. Over time, my obsessive yoga dropped off (after about 6 weeks) and by then I had developed healthier habits.

I know this is long, but I really believe quitting smoking is a very personal process and although it's great to hear tips from others, it's most important to get tuned in to what YOU need in order to be successful with your smoking and weight loss goals. :)
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking nine months ago when I switched to an e-cigarette and have now almost finished weaning myself from nicotine. Contrary to popular belief, nicotine is not what makes cigarettes so addicting (nicotine is mildly addictive much like caffeine). There is a tobacco alkaloid present in cigarettes that acts as an MAOI anti-depressant. Couple that with nicotine and you make for a very addictive substance that treats depression and anxiety. The e-cigarette allowed me to get myself off the tobacco alkaloid in a much less painful manner since I was able to maintain the hand-to-mouth and the nicotine. I have easily decreased my nicotine over time and my next step will be zero and I've lost 55 lbs during that time as well. I think it's a great option for people who struggle with cold-turkey and other quit methods (I always swore I would die with a cigarette in my hand! I never knew I was self-medicating my depression with cigarettes.). I wish you much luck with quitting, however you decide to achieve it!
  • lbs32724
    lbs32724 Posts: 23
    Options
    Bump...need all the help I can get with this!
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've stopped and started so many times I can't count it anymore. I tried this silly hypnosis app that I found for free and listened two times. I have now been smoke free for 3 months which is the longest ever. I don't feel like I'm missing a thing anymore. I haven't lost any weight but I have not gained a single pound either.

I can't say it will work for everyone but if you're willing to quit then give hypnosis a try.
  • ElliieMental
    ElliieMental Posts: 189
    Options
    I quit a heavy smoking habit 3 years ago using the medication champix eventually did it for me.

The problem i faced was that each unsuccessful attempt to quite i gained a stone (14lbs) and by the time i actually managed it i was 5 stone heavier.

The most important thing i can advise is that you can allow your self a certain gain, once you've quit you can focus on losing but don't beat yourself up over gaining because it WILL most likely happen. You can help to limit how much you gain with diet and exercise but you will no doubt feel like you're swimming against the tide (well i did). So MAKE THIS TIME COUNT!!

It's ok to gain 15 pounds if it means you manage to quit that's a small price to pay and easily fixable. Just don't make the same mistake I did and do it over and over until you're trying desperate to shed 80lbs and your health is as much at risk as it was when you smoked......
  • galooh
    galooh Posts: 10
    Options
    I quit smoking three years ago, and started grad. school 2 years ago - between these two things, I gained 30 lbs. However, when I quit cold turkey and told myself I could eat whatever I wanted for 1 week to get past the "bad cravings," and then after that I had to go back to eating healthy and exercising. The 'going back to health eating and exercising' never really happened (until now, lol)... so I don't suggest taking this route. Honestly, I probably should've used the patch or gum...

Ultimately, my fiance was a huge support because he quit with me. Also, after quitting I started noticing a difference in my lung retention - I could hike with less shortness of breath, my cardio at the gym got better, etc... this was motivating for me. I started exercising when I was stressed (instead of smoking). I also got addicted to ginger candy chews (2 pieces for 40 cals) - you could use any candy really as long as you log it. Careful with too much sugar free candy or gum though because it'll give you the runs.

Good luck, you can do this!

Candy is not working for me unfortunately. I'd finish 2 packs of tic tacs a day and I know its not good for my teeth, I can feel it already :(
    I just started joining the gym this week, been going there every day but in the end of the day I'd treat myself a ciggie (i know right like wth). So I guess exercising won't help me get through the stressful times. BUT I did realize that I'd be out of breath easily on the treadmill compared to others around me. Others would sprint, I'd just be power walking for an hour cause when I tried sprinting i just couldnt take it, I was just gasping for air. I always thought it's cause I'm trying to lift up my gigantic thighs constantly in a fast pace, but i didnt really consider smoking as another factor for me to not sprint. I guess if I quit smoking i could've burn more calories by sprinting. And probably it'll help me walk up the stairs to my office without crawling halfway. Well now I got one motivation for me to quit. Thanks for sharing and the support :D
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I had to quit due to asthma. A pack a day wasn't good. I did that D method. Deep breath,delay,drink water,distract yourself. Didn't work for me. Lol.
    I bought a packet of lollipops. Every time I wanted to smoke I had one. Needless to say I don't recommend this. I was hyper and I felt terrible for my teeth. I tried patches and pills. The patches made itch and the pills gave me seriously vivid dreams. Fortunately for me,the lollipops work.

Good luck!!! Quitting is so hard. Especially around other smokers( not to mention while having beers) figure out hat works for you. I wish you all the best :)
  • galooh
    Options
    Hi,

This is a great question, the fear of gaining weight while quitting keeps a lot of ppl smoking even if they would like to give it up.

When quitting any habit/addiction, it's important to understand what that thing does for you. You said you smoke in response to stress, so it clearly helps soothe you in some way. Do you also smoke when you're hungry? After eating? Happy? Sad? Angry? Self-hating? Uncomfortable? Do you smoke when you leave or arrive somewhere? In the car? When you're alone? With friends? Out of boredom? Do you smoke because it's the only way you can get a little 5-minute break?

Once you identify the reasons why you smoke (there could be dozens), you can start to conceive of other ways to meet those needs. If your concern is that you sometimes smoke in order to have something to occupy your hands & mouth, then healthy low-cal snacks are a good replacement. Or let's say you smoke because you need a break - try taking a bottle/glass of water, going to a space where you can be alone, and slowly drinking it, telling yourself that it's your time away from everything. Thinking about each situation, you can create plans for what to do OTHER than snack.

You also might find it helpful to ask yourself WHY you want to quit? What's wrong with continuing to smoke your whole life? You undoubtedly have some very real reasons why you don't want to continue smoking. Try writing all of them down and reflecting on it. This will give your motivation a stronger foundation. You can also tie in losing weight to this type of exercise: why do you want to lose weight? What will change for you if you do? How are your smoking & eating connected?

Since you've noticed that work stress triggers you to start smoking again, you need to do some work to prepare for that stress. What is another, healthier way you could cope? Could you make changes at work to reduce your stress? Is your stress predictable (ie. month end, certain clients, etc.)? Or is it unpredictable? Do you know how to recognize the signs in yourself that you're reaching that point where you'll have a smoke?

My personal coping skill was to do tons of yoga and breathwork. I joined YogaGlo so I could afford to do as many classes as I wanted, at any time. I gave myself the freedom to drop everything and go do a quick yoga practice. This helped when I was itching to have a smoke or cram junk food in my mouth (because you can't do those during yoga.) After the physical exercise, the time-out, and deep breathing of my practice, I usually felt like a new person. Over time, my obsessive yoga dropped off (after about 6 weeks) and by then I had developed healthier habits.

I know this is long, but I really believe quitting smoking is a very personal process and although it's great to hear tips from others, it's most important to get tuned in to what YOU need in order to be successful with your smoking and weight loss goals. :)

I used to smoke anytime, anywhere in many situations (happy, angry, before a meal, after meal, in the car, etc.) but I've cut that down already. So now I see myself smoking when work gets to my head, I'll also still smoke when I'm having a beer, and also when I'm ('scuse me) taking a crap. But I just feel that smoking is bad for me and I know it, but no amount of warning signs would stop me from smoking, not sure why. And when I try to stop smoking, I'd grab a chunky kitkat and stuff it in my mouth and that's still not good.

Well so far I got one motivation to get me going,which is to build up my stamina.
    But I feel that I need more reasons than that as well, especially when I'm stuck in the office late at night and my eyes has been staring at the computer screen for hours and a ciggie and my chunky kit kat bar would be my only best comfort mates. The work stress level in where I work is unpredictable and clearly I cannot change that cause some people are just egomaniacs here. And apparently I bloat like crazy, especially during pms, I'd eat a lot and smoke a lot.

I guess this quitting process can be different for every indivual, as in my case I guess it's something I just need to try harder to get through but eventually will be there (hopefully). I might pick up yoga tho. I've done it before when I was still studying my degree, but I had a lot of free time back then. But I guess I'll try to spare some extra time for yoga after the gym.

Thanks a lot for sharing your tips and directions. Really do appreciate it :)
  • galooh
    Options
    I quit smoking nine months ago when I switched to an e-cigarette and have now almost finished weaning myself from nicotine. Contrary to popular belief, nicotine is not what makes cigarettes so addicting (nicotine is mildly addictive much like caffeine). There is a tobacco alkaloid present in cigarettes that acts as an MAOI anti-depressant. Couple that with nicotine and you make for a very addictive substance that treats depression and anxiety. The e-cigarette allowed me to get myself off the tobacco alkaloid in a much less painful manner since I was able to maintain the hand-to-mouth and the nicotine. I have easily decreased my nicotine over time and my next step will be zero and I've lost 55 lbs during that time as well. I think it's a great option for people who struggle with cold-turkey and other quit methods (I always swore I would die with a cigarette in my hand! I never knew I was self-medicating my depression with cigarettes.). I wish you much luck with quitting, however you decide to achieve it!

So you've been on those e-cigarettes? is that the same as vapor cigs where you can change flavor and charge them to work? I've been quite skeptical towards those products, whether it'll be safe or not. Then again a real cigarette would also kill right. :P So I guess the e-cigs clearly worked for your case (which is great!). But how's your breathing? Cause your inhaling somthing that's generated electronically (am i saying this right?). Would like to know more. Thanks for the info and the support :D
  • galooh
    Options
    I've stopped and started so many times I can't count it anymore. I tried this silly hypnosis app that I found for free and listened two times. I have now been smoke free for 3 months which is the longest ever. I don't feel like I'm missing a thing anymore. I haven't lost any weight but I have not gained a single pound either.

I can't say it will work for everyone but if you're willing to quit then give hypnosis a try.

a hypnosis app to stop smoking? cool, I'd like to give it a try. what's the app called?
  • galooh
    Options
    I quit a heavy smoking habit 3 years ago using the medication champix eventually did it for me.

The problem i faced was that each unsuccessful attempt to quite i gained a stone (14lbs) and by the time i actually managed it i was 5 stone heavier.

The most important thing i can advise is that you can allow your self a certain gain, once you've quit you can focus on losing but don't beat yourself up over gaining because it WILL most likely happen. You can help to limit how much you gain with diet and exercise but you will no doubt feel like you're swimming against the tide (well i did). So MAKE THIS TIME COUNT!!

It's ok to gain 15 pounds if it means you manage to quit that's a small price to pay and easily fixable. Just don't make the same mistake I did and do it over and over until you're trying desperate to shed 80lbs and your health is as much at risk as it was when you smoked......

Well i dunno if I can get this medication champix here where I'm at but still, thanks for the advice. I'll keep your words in mind.
    Cheers :)
  • Kguide
    Kguide Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a month ago and I'm not looking back. I read a book called easy way by Allen Carr. Remember that nicotine leaves the body after just 2-4 days. After that it's all in your head. After my third week of quitting I stopped having urges. Gaining weight when quitting is a myth. The fact of the matter is you should be more healthy and active, now that you quit. Get out and exercise. Celebrate the fact that you quit and test your new found lung power.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    gaining when quitting is not a myth - stopping smoking can drop your TDEE.

you will need to watch the scale and drop your calories accordingly.

your TDEE will drop due to your heart rate being lower, as after your smoke you heart rate kick off big time, which is how smoking gives you heart disease cause u wear it out.
  • galooh
    Options
    I had to quit due to asthma. A pack a day wasn't good. I did that D method. Deep breath,delay,drink water,distract yourself. Didn't work for me. Lol.
    I bought a packet of lollipops. Every time I wanted to smoke I had one. Needless to say I don't recommend this. I was hyper and I felt terrible for my teeth. I tried patches and pills. The patches made itch and the pills gave me seriously vivid dreams. Fortunately for me,the lollipops work.

Good luck!!! Quitting is so hard. Especially around other smokers( not to mention while having beers) figure out hat works for you. I wish you all the best :)

Lollipops ey? the only time I take lollipops are when I'm at a rave :P But I guess I can try it out. And for the pills, what pills were you taking cause I've been trying to lucid dream this whole month, haha.

Yea quitting smoking is difficult especially when you're surrounded by other smokers. but hey thanks for sharing and thanks for the support. Take care of yourself yea..
  • galooh
    Options
    I quit smoking a month ago and I'm not looking back. I read a book called easy way by Allen Carr. Remember that nicotine leaves the body after just 2-4 days. After that it's all in your head. After my third week of quitting I stopped having urges. Gaining weight when quitting is a myth. The fact of the matter is you should be more healthy and active, now that you quit. Get out and exercise. Celebrate the fact that you quit and test your new found lung power.

Nicotine leaves the body after 2-4days? never knew that. but ok I'll try to check out the book you've mentioned. Thanks for the info :)
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So you've been on those e-cigarettes? is that the same as vapor cigs where you can change flavor and charge them to work? I've been quite skeptical towards those products, whether it'll be safe or not. Then again a real cigarette would also kill right. :P So I guess the e-cigs clearly worked for your case (which is great!). But how's your breathing? Cause your inhaling somthing that's generated electronically (am i saying this right?). Would like to know more. Thanks for the info and the support :D

My smoker's cough was gone within three weeks of switching, my breathing and oxygen level is normal again, and I didn't get bronchitis for the first winter in ten years (I smoked a pack a day plus for 13 years). The ingredients in e-cig liquid are Propylene Glycol (used in asthma inhalers, medical breathing treatments, and hospital ventilation systems because of its antibacterial properties), vegetable glycerine (which is safe to consume), nicotine, and food grade flavorings. You're basically inhaling a vaporized mixture of these ingredients. There's a battery which heats a coil and creates the vapor. If you want to read more about e-cigs, their safety and use (as well as a ton of success stories), google "e cigarette forum." It's a huge forum with many helpful people and a ton of info and updates on the latest studies and safety.
  • babybs
    babybs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking in June of last year after smoking for 35 years. I shared the same fears of gaining weight that you do and those fears had sabotaged every other effort to quit prior.

What was different this time is I found My Fitness Pal and about 6 weeks prior to quitting smoking I recorded everything I put in my mouth and kept my calorie intake to 1200. I also started exercising, which for me was a joke. My stamina was nil but I continued to push forward a bit at a time. I wallowed the first time I walked a 1/4 mile and back :) When I finally chose my quit date I was about 12 pounds down. At first I did not limit my calorie intake but I continued to record everything I ate and I pushed ahead with exercising.

Today, nearly a year later, I am still 10 pounds down from my starting weight when I quit. I exercise 4 or 5 times a week and I still use My Fitness Pal. AND...I feel a thousand times better! LOL You can do it too with desire and determination.

Good luck to you!
  • Lauren4974
    Lauren4974 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I switched to the ego-t electronic cigarette and haven't had a real cigarette in 2 years. My main thing was just to get away from all the harmful carcinogens in the real cigarettes more than actually quitting. However they have levels of the juice you put in the ecigs that you can use to ween yourself off of the nicotine much like the gum or the patch (with out the side effects - i got extremely sick on both of those when i tried to quit). You may want to give that a try and see if it works for you. I was an avid 2 pack a day smoker for 10+ years and switched to this like it was nothing. My husband finally switched over this year in January and hasn't had a cigarette since either.