Best Sneakers to wear while working out...

Options
nave002
nave002 Posts: 211 Member
Is it an individual preference or are special sneakers required for whatever you are doing? I enjoy walking outside but I cannot enjoy it as after about five minutes, I get tremendous pain in the front of my legs below my knee and it feels like a big throbbing knot! I kid you not, walking on the paved trails are killer; not so bad if I use the shoulder but still painful.... I do not experience this pain while walking on treadmill and can even manage to sneak in one minute of light jogging every five minutes... building it up....

Currently wearing Adidas and yes they are old as I rarely wear them.... maybe once a month or less, that is, until I started on here in May. Any helpful comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Most people will recommend getting fitted at a running store. As for me, I wear nikes
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You want dedicated running shoes for running/jogging. They'll have support front to back. They're good for walking too. But for rugged hiking (like in the hills) you'll probably want a dedicated hiking shoe. That'll reduce the chances of turning an ankle.

You do not want to use running shoes for sports/activities with lateral movement. eg tennis, basketball, workout dvd's, etc. They have no lateral support. You'll want something like a cross-trainer, a tennis shoe or a basketball shoe for this. They'll support your foot side-to-side and prevent injury.

Finally, for weight lifting you need a shoe with a hard sole. Speciality lifting shoes are (really) expensive. You can use a pair of converse Chuck Taylor's or go barefoot as an alternative. Once weight starts to get heavier you don't want to use a regular pair of trainers because they are soft and deform under load.

I think that covers shoes for most types of activities. Pain in your leg can come from rolling your feet as you walk, a problem with your knee or your hip that you're compensating for in some way. Google foam rolling and mobility work to reduce tightness and hotspots and release knots. As I get older, foam rolling is more and more of a lifesaver to keep me training at the level I like.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Is it an individual preference or are special sneakers required for whatever you are doing? I enjoy walking outside but I cannot enjoy it as after about five minutes, I get tremendous pain in the front of my legs below my knee and it feels like a big throbbing knot! I kid you not, walking on the paved trails are killer; not so bad if I use the shoulder but still painful.... I do not experience this pain while walking on treadmill and can even manage to sneak in one minute of light jogging every five minutes... building it up....

Currently wearing Adidas and yes they are old as I rarely wear them.... maybe once a month or less, that is, until I started on here in May. Any helpful comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I went to a specialty store and got my running shoes fitted. Best $110 I spent. Maybe invest in some shoes where you get them fitted. You may be glad that you did!!
  • JankaLee
    JankaLee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Most people will recommend getting fitted at a running store. As for me, I wear nikes

I agree get fitted. But for me, I am always in Saucony. It just so happened that was the brand I was always fitted for. Been loyally wearing the brand for 5 years now.
  • dancer1178
    dancer1178 Posts: 50
    Options
    If you are doing any sort of dance fitness (Zumba, Hip Hop Fitness, etc.) a comfortable sneaker with good shock absorbtion, that is lightweight, and offers good support. Crosstrainers and dance sneakers are appropriate. Running shoes are made for forward and backward movement; they grip the floor. You need a shoe that allows for twisting, pivoting and turning. Also, please be sure that the shoes you wear outside are not the shoes you wear into class. Outside shoes bring in debris that make dance floors unsafe. I am currently wearing Nike Musiques but also recommend Capezio brand.

I agree, get fitted :) and be sure to stretch properly regardless of what your workout is.
  • andybendy
    andybendy Posts: 4
    Options
    i got fitted at a shop for my running shoes, luckily i have a normal forefoot running gait, so i had a huge choice to choose, i also have vibram fivefingers, which id like to run in but ill have to build up to that, at the moment i use them for weight training, my gym wont allow you to go barefoot, so this is the best option for me
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that there were so many things to consider! Yes, the novice in me.... thank you all for your input; greatly appreciated:happy: