How do you keep fruit from going bad .

Options
When I buy strawberries I clean what I m going to use and put the rest back in the fridge in the container. They seem to go bad on me...mouldy.

Is there a container that keeps them fresh or a special trick?

Replies

• Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Clean all of them in a vinegar water mix when you get them.
  • LovelyVeggies
    Options
    Strawberries go bad more quickly in humid conditions. Make sure the container is well-ventilated and put them in the low-humidity drawer of the fridge if possible. If your fridge is old, it may be more humid than it's supposed to be. A dry paper towel in the container might help too. You can also buy things to put in your fridge to absorb the ethylene gas given off by fruit. This keeps produce fresh longer. The brand I have is called Blue Apple. It seems to work relatively well for me.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I only buy fresh strawberries when I can eat them the same day. If you want to get some to eat later, I'd just get some that are frozen... but be careful with the frozen ones. Many times there is already extra sugar mixed in.
  • katiepeg46
    katiepeg46 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of cleaning them and then freezing them to put in my smoothies later. Has anyone done this?
  • lenamae23
    lenamae23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I started just freezing them. Id only get a week or twos worth to freeze. They get freezer burnt pretty easily.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I either a.) freeze them OR b.) put them in mason jars.
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat them.
  • DaveSkev
    DaveSkev Posts: 3
    Options
    Macerate them in lemon juice & a little brown sugar, they will last another day but as mentioned strawberries are to eat on the day or next at most.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    make banana strawberry smoothies with them all. I can eat several pounds of strawberries in a day like that.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of cleaning them and then freezing them to put in my smoothies later. Has anyone done this?

Yes. Make sure they are as dry as possible first. I have been able to keep them up to three weeks in freezer. Plus make sure as much of the air is out of the bag as possible, that helps too.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I eat them.

Isn't that the only thing TO do to stop them from going bad?
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Clean all of them in a vinegar water mix when you get them.

This.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    When I buy strawberries I clean what I m going to use and put the rest back in the fridge in the container. They seem to go bad on me...mouldy.

Is there a container that keeps them fresh or a special trick?

Clean all my strawberries, cut them up and freeze; freeze all my over-ripe bananas; peel and cut mangoes up into small pieces and freeze, wash my blackberries and freeze - all to put in my smoothies. By doing this I have fruit all year round. Also fresh pineapple.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    1. Eat them

2. Freeze them frozen bananas woo hoo

3. Dip them in chocolate for extra points.
  • xbrittney90
    xbrittney90 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My mom got me this container and it is AMAZING. It keeps strawberries fresh so much longer than just sticking them in the fridge. All I know is she called it a strawberry keeper. It's a normal container but it has this insert that allows air to be under them. I searched for it on amazon and I found 2 similar containers though not the same thing, so maybe try looking there!
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    As the first person said, you need to wash and dry them for storage. They still won't last forever, but when you get them they're covered in mold spores and who knows what all else - washing them will help a bit.
    I use an organic vegetable wash rather than vinegar, but I'm intrigued by the vinegar idea.

Also, check really carefully when you are actually buying them. I know the store I frequent is worse than most, but a lot of times they're already going bad on the shelf.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Eat them, or make fruit salad ( that helps them last a few days) or freeze. To freeze: wash , dry, and hull, then spread on a tray in the frexzer, single layer. Once frozen, transfer to container or ziploc and freeze. I freeze peeled bananas and peeled and cubed mango
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    Britney, is it like this one? http://www.lakeland.co.uk/17120/Large-Rubbermaid-Produce-Saver

They usually get eaten too fast in our house to need storing, sorry.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That is best idea. If you see they are starting to go soft, freeze for smoothies
  • ch3vynova72
    Options
    Like other people have said...freeze them.

There was a nice sale on strawberries at the grocery store. I bought four (4) packages of fresh strawberries. When I got home, I cleaned, dried, and hulled the strawberries. Once they were completely dried...I put them in freezer baggies and put them in the freezer. Now when I want a smoothie w/ strawberries in it, I just grab some from a baggie and throw them in the blender. :)