Weight lifting for beginners

Options
Hi I've decided to listen to all the helpful advice given on another thread. Instead of starving myself, I'm going to start weight lifting tonight. What workout programs would you recommend for female beginners? I have a lot of stomach fat that I'd love to get rid of. Apart from that, I'm 25 years old and I weigh 47kg (103Ibs) and my height is I'm 5'2 (157cm) so I'm not overweight but like I said I have a lot of flab around the hips and stomach. Thank you :)

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Hi I've decided to listen to all the helpful advice given on another thread. Instead of starving myself, I'm going to start weight lifting tonight. What workout programs would you recommend for female beginners? I have a lot of stomach fat that I'd love to get rid of. Apart from that, I weigh 47kg (103Ibs) and I'm 5'2 so I'm not overweight but like I said I have a lot of flab around the hips and stomach. Thank you :)

Strength training won't get rid of the fat. You have to go on a diet that emphasizes fat loss while you train.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting first. Knowledge is power. The more you know about weight lifting, the safer and more confident you will be.

After you get some knowledge, you can do the Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts 5x5, 5/3/1, etc depending on what you choose.
  • VeganHippo
    VeganHippo Posts: 26
    Options
    Strength training won't get rid of the fat. You have to go on a diet that emphasizes fat loss while you train.

That's not what people in the other thread said. I'm confused now :( I'm on a 1000 calorie limit and I do cardio 5 days a week. But I was thinking to start weight lifting and increasing my limit to 1200 calories.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Hi I've decided to listen to all the helpful advice given on another thread. Instead of starving myself, I'm going to start weight lifting tonight. What workout programs would you recommend for female beginners? I have a lot of stomach fat that I'd love to get rid of. Apart from that, I weigh 47kg (103Ibs) and I'm 5'2 so I'm not overweight but like I said I have a lot of flab around the hips and stomach. Thank you :)

WHAT!!!!!!!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    Lift, start yesterday! You do not need to lose weight first at all! Keep eating at a deficit (although I think yours is way too low) and weight train.
  • whierd
    Options

That's not what people in the other thread said. I'm confused now :( I'm on a 1000 calorie limit and I do cardio 5 days a week. But I was thinking to start weight lifting and increasing my limit to 1200 calories.

Strength training helps to preserve your lean body mass (muscle) while eating a caloric deficit, and also burna a certain number of calories.

1,000 calories is far too low, and 1,200 may be low depending on your height, weight, and age. I suggest using a TDEE calculator to find how many calories you are burning per day, then eat a reasonable deficit based on that number.
  • VeganHippo
    Options
    WHAT!!!!!!! I really hope this is a joke! Do not listen to this!

Thank you :) I was actually worried for a second.
  • whierd
    Options

WHAT!!!!!!!

What part of it do you disagree with?
  • whierd
    Options
    WHAT!!!!!!! I really hope this is a joke! Do not listen to this!

Thank you :) I was actually worried for a second.

Weight training, by itself, doesn't cause you to lose fat. You also have to eat a caloric deficit.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    I disagree on weight training not helping with losing fat. I understand that you can't build on a deficit but i have lost fat from lifting, my diet has a little to do with it but I know what lifting has done for my body <
    see pic
  • VeganHippo
    Options
    Whierd, thank you for your helpful replies. It certainly makes sense that weight lifting alone doesn't burn fat. However because I'm already eating at a deficit, I thought it would help tone my body.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    If you are going to start lifting properly, and not just with barbie weights you are going to have to eat more. 1200 calories a day and weight lifting do not mix.
  • whierd
    Options
    I disagree on weight training not helping with losing fat. I understand that you can't build on a deficit but i have lost fat from lifting, my diet has a little to do with it but I know what lifting has done for my body <
    see pic

So you are claiming that you were not eating at a deficit while lifting?
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    Whierd, thank you for your helpful replies. It certainly makes sense that weight lifting alone doesn't burn fat. However because I'm already eating at a deficit, I thought it would help tone my body.

Your deficit is too low IMO
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    Lift weights and eat healthy. Its the combination that leads to overall health. 1000 calories is way to little for lifting or otherwise unless a doctor has advised that...Dear God, why are people intent to starve themselves skinny????
  • VeganHippo
    Options
    see pic

Oh wow I just noticed your picture. I'd love to have a stomach like yours.
  • whierd
    Options

It will help to improve your body composition, but you may be eating too harsh of a deficit. What is your height, weight, and age?
  • x58890
    x58890 Posts: 14
    Options
    My girlfriend always avoided strength training unless I was with her at the gym to tell her what exercises to do. To help her be more independent at the gym, I had her create a user profile on Jefit.com, download a strength program that looked good to her (I recommend the "Women's Body Toning" routine), and download the free smartphone app. Now, when she goes to the gym, she brings her smart phone with her and has the routine right in from of her along with animations for each exercise. She can also log her weight/repetitions on the smartphone app so she knows what weight/reps to use next time.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    see pic

So you are claiming that you were not eating at a deficit while lifting?

Not at all. I was and still am eating at a deficit but it's not that alone that has helped lose the fat lifting has had a HUGE part in it. I did this very same thing 2 years ago without the lifting and the results were very different.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I am also a beginner. I have been spending a lot of time reading at this site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/
    They have instruction videos, nutrition advice, etc. for strength training. It's sort of like MFP but with a lot more articles.