Weight lifting for beginners

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and eat healthy. Its the combination that leads to overall health. 1000 calories is way to little for lifting or otherwise unless a doctor has advised that...Dear God, why are people intent to starve themselves skinny????

Because they have been lead to believe that fatloss is linear to their calorie deficit.
  • VeganHippo
    VeganHippo Posts: 26
    Options
    Your deficit is too low IMO

Do you mean I need to increase my deficit by reducing my calorie intake? Or do you mean too low as in too high and I need to eat more? Sorry I'm confused as I seem to be getting mixed responses. Thank you for your help.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I disagree on weight training not helping with losing fat. I understand that you can't build on a deficit but i have lost fat from lifting, my diet has a little to do with it but I know what lifting has done for my body <
    see pic

Oh wow I just noticed your picture. I'd love to have a stomach like yours.

Eat more than 1200 calories and lift heavy regularly. Don't skip lifting day and don't eat below the healthy amount of calories for your hight, weight, and age.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options

Do you mean I need to increase my deficit by reducing my calorie intake? Or do you mean too low as in too high and I need to eat more? Sorry I'm confused as I seem to be getting mixed responses. Thank you for your help.

I don't know your age, hight or weight so i can't tell you what you should be eating. All I do know is you are not eating enough 1000 calories is too few calories go higher.
  • whierd
    Options
    I disagree on weight training not helping with losing fat. I understand that you can't build on a deficit but i have lost fat from lifting, my diet has a little to do with it but I know what lifting has done for my body <
    see pic

So you are claiming that you were not eating at a deficit while lifting?

Not at all. I was and still am eating at a deficit but it's not that alone that has helped lose the fat lifting has had a HUGE part in it. I did this very same thing 2 years ago without the lifting and the results were very different.

That is because without lifting, a calorie deficit will cause your body to also lose muscle mass. The weight lifting, other than the calorie burn, did not cause your fat to disappear, it only preserved your lean muscle mass and increased your fat:muscle loss ratio.
  • VeganHippo
    Options
    It will help to improve your body composition, but you may be eating too harsh of a deficit. What is your height, weight, and age?

I'm nearly 25 years old. I weigh 47kg which is around 103 pounds. Oh and my height is 5'2 (157cm)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    see pic

Not at all. I was and still am eating at a deficit but it's not that alone that has helped lose the fat lifting has had a HUGE part in it. I did this very same thing 2 years ago without the lifting and the results were very different.

That is because without lifting, a calorie deficit will cause your body to also lose muscle mass. The weight lifting, other than the calorie burn, did not cause your fat to disappear, it only preserved your lean muscle mass and increased your fat:muscle loss ratio.

I know all of this I am not new. You can't tell me that lifting has had no hand in decreasing my body fat.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

Yes far too low. I eat 2000+ calories a day and i'm still hungry. I do a 5 day split so I'm lifting every day though. Seriously 1200 cals a day is not suitable if you are serious about starting a lifting routine.
  • whierd
    Options
    see pic

I know all of this I am not new. You can't tell me that lifting has had no hand in decreasing my body fat.

Did you not read what I wrote? :huh:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    It will help to improve your body composition, but you may be eating too harsh of a deficit. What is your height, weight, and age?

I'm nearly 25 years old. I weigh 47kg which is around 103 pounds. Oh and my height is 5'2 (157cm)

According to a TDEE calculator with light activity it says you should be eating 2172 calories. This number will change with your activity level.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    see pic

I did. Sorry i lied I skimmed the last part
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    see pic

I'm kinda inclined to agree...fat loss is from your diet. Lifting will improve your shape, but fat loss comes from eating at a deficit.
  • whierd
    Options
    see pic

I did.

So by your claim, if you lift weights while eating at maintenance, you will lose fat mass?
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    I just want this girl to lift.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    see pic

I did.

So by your claim, if you lift weights while eating at maintenance, you will lose fat mass?

I see what your saying. I stand corrected.
  • whierd
    Options

The facts are more than convincing enough. :tongue:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    Fine then :)
  • VeganHippo
    Options
    According to a TDEE calculator with light activity it says you should be eating 2172 calories. This number will change with your activity level.

Oh thank you for working that out for me. That amount seems like a lot. I actually ate 1450 calories yesterday and I felt extremely full and bloated. I had to go to the gym twice yesterday and burned around 800 calories but I still felt full and generally awful.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting first. Knowledge is power. The more you know about weight lifting, the safer and more confident you will be.

After you get some knowledge, you can do the Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts 5x5, 5/3/1, etc depending on what you choose.

^^^ this
  • VeganHippo
    Options

Thank you :) you have certainly convinced me. Now if only I can find a program that's not too difficult for a complete beginner.