Help! -- I have to tell the boss

Options
Long story short when I came to work for my boss my beta fish died -- at the same time his son moved to CA to go to college and left his beta fish (Sparticus) at home. When my fish died my boss brought me his son's fish and gave him to me. Sparticus has been the unofficial mascot for our group. Unfortunately he passed this morning after I fed him. This fish was a good 5 years old. So how do I tell my boss that his sons fish that he gave me has passed?

I need to deal with this soon -- especially since there is a dead fish in my office -- needs to be dealt with today befre the smell starts getting bad.

Please help me I feel terrible...........

I know this isnt about weight but all the MFPers are so supportive I could use help with this too.

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    I would tell him. It's not your fault it died. lol.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    How about something like this?

"I'm really sorry to have to tell you this but I came in this morning and your sons fish died' = honesty

Not sure how many other ways you could say it. Once you tell him, it's over and done, and you can not have to worry about telling him anymore.

Good luck
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry :( Be strong and just tell him, I am sure he will understand, he sounds like a compassionate person. Good Luck!
  • JensLogin
    Options
    I think it is so sweet that you are so worried about how he might respond. So refreshing in a world where people are insensitive. So, thank you for being thoughtful.

That said, surely as a grown man your boss realizes that fish die. He should be thankful that the fish lived for as long as it did - five years is quite a long life for a fish! I would just tell him so you stop agonizing and the worst part is over. I bet you will find that he is okay and you've taken it hard then him!

Best Wishes!!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    5 years is an amazing age for a fish.....I don't think I have ever had one live past 3 before.
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm a fish geek.. and a 5 year old Betta is VERY old. Betta's do not live a long time... in the wild Betta's live for about 3 years.. .So that Betta had lived a good long life due to good care!
  • 29bubbles
    Options
    PS: my fish friends that breed Bettas can only keep them alive for two years... so no worries.. your fish lived a long life.
  • kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Boss is in a meeting right now -- hopefully as soon as he is done with that I can go tell him.

I cant believe I am so torn up about a fish?!?!?!?

Thanks for your support.
    Hugs to you all.
  • txtree50
    txtree50 Posts: 51
    Options
    Let us know how it turns out. My son just got a beta and the gal at the pet store said it only lives 3-5 years. It's not your fault and I'm sure your boss will understand.................................BTW is there a local pet sshop near you?
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Seriously?
    It's a fish.
    Flush it and replace it.
    LOL
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Seriously?
    It's a fish.
    Flush it and replace it.
    LOL

Diddo
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Five years is a really long time for a betta. Your boss should understand.
  • kk_stephens
    Options
    Yes there is one -- however -- it is not like I could replace the fish -- at 5 years he was quite large -- 6" long and 1" around. Big ble pretty boy. All new betas you are lucky to get one that is 3" long.
  • kk_stephens
    Options
    Thank you all. I finally cornered my boss and told him. All is well -- and he even insisted that we have a new pet for our group. Sounds like the boss wants to have a successor to Sparticus.

I fell much better.

Thanks for the supportive comments.
  • caroeden
    caroeden Posts: 31
    Options
    I'm glad it went well for you! Yay!
  • 29bubbles
    Options
    Cause I'm a fish geek I have to say... never flush a fish... burry it in the garden or toss it in the trash. A flushed fish can spread disease.

Yes.. I'm a geek :bigsmile: You'd be surpized how much a fish in your soiil will perk up your flower bed :smile:
  • kmulhollen
    Options
    Eulogy for Spartacus

Spartacus will be remembered as a special fish whom we all loved and admired.
    At 5 years he was quite large -- 6" long and 1" around.
    We will remember him with kindness and love... Rest in peace big blue pretty boy.
    :sad:
  • txtree50
    txtree50 Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm glad that all went well...............................so is the office getting a new fish as a replacement?
  • monkeyfood
    monkeyfood Posts: 106
    Options
    Eulogy for Spartacus

Spartacus will be remembered as a special fish whom we all loved and admired.
    At 5 years he was quite large -- 6" long and 1" around.
    We will remember him with kindness and love... Rest in peace big blue pretty boy.
    :sad:

I love this :)
    RIP Spartacus.

Glad your boss understood.