feeling grateful to be at a weight you once cried about?

Options

Replies

• hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I remember little anorexic b*tch me thinking I was HUGE at 125.

Now, I would sell my soul for my postpartum body back! (Wouldn't give up my kid... Just, you know, would d*mn myself in Hell for it.)
  • sparkellet
    Options
    I can totally relate!!! I would give anything to go back to what used to be "my danger zone." I also wish I could go back in time and make myself appreciate my body more. I was NOT satisfied with myself in my profile pic, now I would give anything to go back to that!
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I hated being in the 150's years ago, but how I am ecstatic to be 159.
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yes! When I first passed into the 140s, I felt horrible about myself. I didn't admit my weight to anyone; I was ashamed. Now coming down from about 160, I am ecstatic to be where I am (143.5). I look at my body now and I'm so proud of it - the same shape roughly that I had back before when I was in the 140s and felt terrible.
  • knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    I don't recall my weight at the time, but I have a clear & distinct memory from the time I was 14 or 15. I was looking in a full length mirror, wearing only underwear and a bra, and I was looking at my teeny pooch of a tummy and thinking "god, I'm so fat."

Yeah.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking this -- when I was dating my now-husband, I had him look at the scale when I got on it, because he wanted to know how much I weigh (he was just curious), and I was terrified of the scale and "knew" that I was fat (yeah, I wasn't).

A few weeks later I asked him what that number was. 118 lbs (I'm 5'0"). I cried. I felt like I was spiraling out of control (dramatic much?). I had such an unrealistic view of my body!

After a few years of content married weight gain, inactivity and a pregnancy, I was 164 lbs at 5 months postpartum.

Now I'm about 120 lbs, and very happy with my body! I do still want to lose 10 lbs and focus on building some muscle, but that doesn't mean I'm unhappy with where I'm at.

I don't have any pics from when I was 118 lbs and 5 years younger, but on the right of this progress comparison pic was me a week or so ago. I wish I could go back and slap young me in the back of the head.

fdad89ec-8341-495b-bf5a-d4c08ebec15c_zps9da747b2.jpg
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think about this often. I'm 5'8" and I always felt fat even when I wasn't.

It started with my classmates being shorter and much lighter than I was at an early age and my mother always dieting and even when I was 108, I still thought I was fat. At 18 and 121, I was happy (briefly) and then I started gaining weight.

I sat at 127 and then 138 for a really long time (my body seemed to like both those set points) but I was always binging and then dieting and then binging again. I think if I could have been really happy (and seen myself realistically) at any of those weights, I would have stayed there.

Now my goal is to get back to 138 but having realized that I can work out and eat 2000 calories a day and not starve myself and still lose weight, I think I'd like to weigh as much as I can (within a normal weight range) while fitting into a clothing size that makes me happy (maybe around a 10) and while still enjoying a reasonable amount of healthy food, etc.
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am a lot less insecure at my current weight (highest) that when I was weighing 185 lbs. My goal right now is to get back to exactly that, 185! :drinker: :drinker: Now I am 20+ yrs older and want to lose weight to be fit, not because I don't love myself or care about what any random guy thinks about me. My husband loves me at all my weights/shapes.....good question.
  • wpbmommy1
    wpbmommy1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    kind of had the opposite problem. When I was 125 I cried because I was angry that couldn't GAIN weight and I was downing liquid meal supplements in addition to eating like it was going out of style. Yep, two kids and sixty pounds later I wanted to kick myself...repeatedly. I don't think I'll ever get to that weight again but if I do, I sure won't complain about it.
  • justneedmotivation
    Options
    lol yeah I'm 5'2.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    the stories show a few things; to want to be as skinny as one was in high school or college is funny to me.. i don't think people are really done growing..especially men until late 20's. yet we all pressure ourselves to get back to that.

also..shows how fat just creeps up over the years and we settle for being heavier and heavier.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    oh yes.

I remember passing the 150 mark and being very unhappy about it. i WISH i were there now, or close to there.

I mean - i am going to be happy when i get to the other side of 200! how pathetic does that sound? and yet, it will mean a 30 lb loss!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I always hated being 160 now I would be happy just to see the 170s again lol
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. When I was 15 and first got my drivers license I said I was 130lbs (total lie I was around 145) but I refused to change the weight ever since. I'm 33 now and it still says 130. I'm not at 129 and the last time I was really this size was in 5th grade many many many moons ago! I use to cry all the time because I was the biggest girl in my class but now if I could only reach the 115 mark (what I weighed in 4th grade) I would be happy. And before anyone says it...I'm not trying to be as small as an elementary student....I was just a VERY overweight kid!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Yep - when I hit 30 I thought I was letting myself go because I tipped the scale at 120 (I'd always been about 110) but now my goal weight isn't even as low as 120!

I have to agree with elisa123gal in that my body is completely different to what it was 15yrs ago so my weight goals *should* be different. When I started out in February I said something about not wanting to be a fat old lady, but I'd accept the old part. Equally, I don't want to be a scrawny old lady - I'm going to settle for fit old lady and if that means I'll weigh 10 or 15lb more than my 'nightmare' weight, then so be it :)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I remember being embarrassed when my driver's license said 175. Now I'm almost back down to that again and really happy about it.

...and also I thought I was fat in high school when I weighed around 120. That seems to have been a common experience for women.
  • silkcat
    silkcat Posts: 4
    Options
    There's a photograph of me, aged about 20, that makes me feel very sad. Now I look at it and see a slim, healthy looking young woman - then I felt fat and ugly just because I wasn't skinny and had boobs. I'm now 4 stone heavier!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Yes, I went to Weight Watchers when I was 157 lbs when I was in my early 30s. I thought I was huge! I am 5 ft 5 ins. I lost 28lbs, but later put it all back and much more. Another session at WW starting at 168. Getting down to 140. I felt ok then, but really had the 112 that I was married at when I was 20 in my head. That was my 'ought to be' weight for years until I realised that would be too light for me as I got older. More diets, more temporary success, settling around 153. Then a huge weight gain up to 197. Oh dear. - seriously bad health and mobility at that weight. Awful. Now, at 63, I know I should not be my 20 yr old weight. I have lost 45 lbs and have been working on my fitness. I feel so much better and look slimmer than I weigh. I am currently 152 lbs and want to lose a few more, but not too much. To think I once thought I was really fat at this weight!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I was furious when I hit 140. Now 140 is my GOAL.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! This weight loss journey has definitely made me think a lot about the meaning of the word "gratitude."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!