children and obesity

Options
I'm seeing so many overweight kids in my gym, it's such a problem, that we have specific classes for 6-10 yr old obese kids. And there is actually a waiting list to get into the program. The parents themselves are almost always very heavy, it's a scary, unhealthy trend that needs to stop. Kids learn poor eating habits from their parents. You can teach your kids about good nutrition early on and by example as well as setting a few house rules. Sweets shouldn't be an everyday go to snack, don't keep cookies and junk foods around all the time, they can quickly become a mainstay of your family's diet. Try to keep the sweets to a once a week treat, or for a special occasion, like a birthday or holiday. Kidswon't have the cravings if they don't become accustomed to having the junk around in the first place, so you're not depriving them of anything. You need to take time out and play with your kids, go for a family walk, play a game of tennis, attend a parent/child game, where you can become involved in the game. The fact is, the more active you are, the more active they will be.Don't try to soothe your children with food, talk about problems before you open up the bag of chips, or give him a pudding cup. Food doesn't heal. It won't help a 10 yr olds wounded ego, or cure the hurt that your teen has from a lost relationship. But talking to them may. You need to encourage kids to express themselves in a way that doesn't revolve around food. Playing an instrument, painting, any hobby can help your child through their troubles calorie-free.

Replies

• AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    AMEN!! That's what I'm trying to do for my kids. I NEVER want them to have an unhealthy relationship with food, like I did!!
  • futballuvr73
    futballuvr73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!
    OMG it bothers me soooo much. My own child is an itty-bitty scrawny skinny boy (crawled at 4mo and never sits down, now almost 11yrs old) but so many of his classmates are big. I see them come to school with crap in their lunchboxes and cringe. I admit, mine takes sometimes things that aren't perfect, but I'm the food nazi around these parts. No pop-tarts, really no candy- heck, his chocolate cheerios have less sugar than most 'healthy' cereals! Used to be it was hard to find husky sizes, now the only place I KNOW I can find slim is at Old Navy! (Yep, don't have one closer than an hour away...)
    I'm not perfect, none of us are. However, I feel that I should put my child's health first! His idea of a treat- the new granola squares from Nature Valley (8 sugars, I believe). Good boy!
    Sorry, rant over... :mad:
  • MusicalMe
    MusicalMe Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree with you! My daughter is one and she has had nothing unhealthy for her. Her snacks are plain Cheerios and organic graham crackers. I have members of my family that try to give her french fries from fast food restaurants and ice cream and it just frustrates me to no end! I want her to grow up being healthy and not have to battle the weight issues that I've dealt with for my entire life. I'm not naive enough to think she will never eat anything that isn't good for her, but if we can make those special treats and not everyday things, that would make me so happy.
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    Ugh, it breaks my heart to see an overweight child :(

It starts from the time they are born...what we choose to feed our babies, toddlers, young kids etc. its ALL so VERY important.
    and being a good example and always making choices that put your childs health and wellbeing above all else is our responsibility as parents...to drop the ball so badly that your young child is considered obese shouldnt be acceptable, ever.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options

It starts from the time they are born...what we choose to feed our babies, toddlers, young kids etc. its ALL so VERY important.
    and being a good example and always making choices that put your childs health and wellbeing above all else is our responsibility as parents...to drop the ball so badly that your young child is considered obese shouldnt be acceptable, ever.

You're right, and they're and there's a difference between a slightly chunky child, who really will lose the baby fat in time, to a seriously obese child, One little boy in particular is 9 and is about 4'9 and he weighs 190lbs, he can hardly breathe, he can't jump, run, and can barely do 3 minutes on the treadmill without feeling faint or sick, his mom, a sinlge mom is well over 300lbs, and sits in the hallway eating a donught from the Tim hortons and a large slushy...I feel there's almost no hope for him, and it saddens me, I want to take him home and help him...all the exercise in the world that I do with him, I feel is not going to help at all, not until mom shapes up and decides to do it with him. I actually overstepped the bounds on this one, and offered her free training for her and her son, no charge, she let me know politely that she is perfectly happy the size she is and is tired of self righteous b*itches like me trying to change the world! :noway: what can you do? :frown:
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I totally agree...that's how I got where I am. I was the last child, parents worked tons, gave me whatever food I wanted to keep me quiet. I Don't BLAME them, but I learned from them. I learned bad habits at an early age, and wondered why I was fat at age 7. Then they tried to put me on diets, made it so much worse.
  • jlizgar
    Options

You're right, and they're and there's a difference between a slightly chunky child, who really will lose the baby fat in time, to a seriously obese child, One little boy in particular is 9 and is about 4'9 and he weighs 190lbs, he can hardly breathe, he can't jump, run, and can barely do 3 minutes on the treadmill without feeling faint or sick, his mom, a sinlge mom is well over 300lbs, and sits in the hallway eating a donught from the Tim hortons and a large slushy...I feel there's almost no hope for him, and it saddens me, I want to take him home and help him...all the exercise in the world that I do with him, I feel is not going to help at all, not until mom shapes up and decides to do it with him. I actually overstepped the bounds on this one, and offered her free training for her and her son, no charge, she let me know politely that she is perfectly happy the size she is and is tired of self righteous b*itches like me trying to change the world! :noway: what can you do? :frown:

Wow :( that is truly awful...awful for that woman and even more so for her child. I will NEVER understand folks who are content to stay overweight and make their kids overweight and not think anything of it, not want to change and that think anyone who wants to help them is being a b*tch.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!
    OMG it bothers me soooo much. My own child is an itty-bitty scrawny skinny boy (crawled at 4mo and never sits down, now almost 11yrs old) but so many of his classmates are big. I see them come to school with crap in their lunchboxes and cringe. I admit, mine takes sometimes things that aren't perfect, but I'm the food nazi around these parts. No pop-tarts, really no candy- heck, his chocolate cheerios have less sugar than most 'healthy' cereals! Used to be it was hard to find husky sizes, now the only place I KNOW I can find slim is at Old Navy! (Yep, don't have one closer than an hour away...)
    I'm not perfect, none of us are. However, I feel that I should put my child's health first! His idea of a treat- the new granola squares from Nature Valley (8 sugars, I believe). Good boy!
    Sorry, rant over... :mad:

And a kid just doesn't know any better. Like, my nephew. His mom didn't give him ANY junk food until he was about 3. Well, he had ONE "special treat" I beleive it was chocolate, and it was all over...he wanted special treats constantly! They don't undertstand what fat and sugar is. Sugar is addictive!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump to read later as all your articles are good ones! Thanks!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I've been noticing these commercials promoting it's ok to feed your kids unhealthy because you can give them ensure or apple juice with vegetables. My favorite is the kids saying all the stuff they don't like and then the plate of chicken nuggets is put in front of them and it's ok because that's what your kids like. I have a friend that gives in to her 3 year old and I swear he lives off mac and cheese and chicken nuggets. What ever happened to if you're hungry you'll eat whats in front of you. We have a whole generation growing up with no clue how to provide their bodies with the healthy nutrition they need. People think our health care problem is bad now wait til these children are in their 30's and 40's having major health issues due to a lifetime of a bad diet.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I totally agree...that's how I got where I am. I was the last child, parents worked tons, gave me whatever food I wanted to keep me quiet. I Don't BLAME them, but I learned from them. I learned bad habits at an early age, and wondered why I was fat at age 7. Then they tried to put me on diets, made it so much worse.

Lee, I feel ya on that one! My parents worked early in the AM, and so my grandmother took me to school in the next town over. I used to eat sweets every day after school at her house, and not just one treat of course! My father had terrible eating habits and was overweight, and what he wanted, he got, and that applied to what we had for dinner as well. There was always Coke in the house, and we'd have pizza or takeout on Fridays, sometimes more than once a week. One year at Thanksgiving when I was rather young I overheard my relatives talking about how I needed to lose weight and I just broke down, worst feeling ever! At least I always had dance lessons, and activities on and off like swimming lessons and gymnastics. However those things weren't everyday activities and couldn't totally compete with the bad eating I was doing every day. I know I also picked up my bad habits from what I was seeing.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have two daughters. I'm a little panicky on teaching them the word "fat" or "diet". My oldest daughter is 4 years old and very slender - but she is a junk food/chocoholic. It's a daily struggle to get her to eat her fruits and there are only two vegetables in her diet - corn niblets and petit pois. My almost 3 year old, is almost as tall, and weighs 3 pounds less than her old her sister... she eats fruit by the truck load. Offer her desert, and she will ask for pears or apples. She eats just about any vegetable we give her. She HATES ice-cream, is not too keen on chocolate either, but she loves hard candy.
    I used to think it was inconvenient to exercise with the girls around - but then I had a hard think about it - if they don't see this as my everyday, then they won't learn it as a habit for themselves. So now, when I go to CrossFit, they come with me, when I work out with my trainer at home, (if they are not at pre-school) they work out with me. They are both enrolled in gymnastics, cheerleading and swimming.

I have to say, I'm seriously frustrated with my eldest daughter. She's one of those kids whose diet consists of mac n cheese , grilled cheese, or scrambled eggs n cheese. Recently I told her she was not getting a cookie in her snack box at school unless she ate her fruit. Last week she didn't get any cookies, I assume she ate her fruit (unless she threw it away). I didn't do anything different with my second daughter, but she likes all foods and is not too picky. I have to say growing up I was seriously finicky as well, and only ate spaghetti.

I've talked about this many times with my pediatrician, and I can't say he's had any clear advise on it. He did say I was lucky if I got them to sit down to eat 1 meal, let alone three!
  • jlizgar
    Options
    One of the best cookbooks I own is called Deceptively Delicious and its written by Jessica Seinfield, Jerrys wife :) and its all recipes where the veggies are hidden within the food to where your kids have NO clue its even there! Its a fantastic way to get those much needed veggies into your kids without the fuss and fight and the "I dont like its".
    Also, as parents, we just have to be stronger...sure,we can give our kids treats and there is nothing wrong with our kids liking and enjoying those treats, but its up to US to make sure thats not all they eat and that they only get it occasionally....we are the ones that go grocery shopping and if we simply dont buy it, or buy healthy alternatives, then that is what our kids will eat!
    Also, making simple changes in the ingrediants of things we already make can make a huge difference too....use natural unbleached minimally processed cane sugar instead of white sugar, use whole wheat flour instead of white, use a more healthy cooking oil, dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, organic fruits and veggies instead of regular....there is SO much we can do, we have a lot more control than we think we do!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    ummm what happened to the "If you don't eat this you don't get to leave the table" rule....I somewhat agree with hiding foods, if you have already instilled those bad habits in your kids and its super hard to break...but thats not what I will do with my kids. I want them to know what realy broccolli tastes like and what real veggies and fruits tastes like. I will let my children have sweets, but I will bake them myself(there are tons of healthy desserts out there) I watch kids right now, and everyday they want a pb&j on white bread. Yesterday at my house they had PB2 and homemade strwberry jam on whole wheat and the oldest said"how come this bread is brown and tastes funny"...so I told him it was healthy bread that spiderman eats haha. I think parents let kids rule their lives. If they dont like what's for dinner than i guess you can either starve or eat what's for dinner. And I remember doing the "plug your nose and scarf it down" thing cause I hated green beans. Guess what? I looooove green beans now. Be the parent, don't let your kids whining and temper tantrums make you give in. Stay firm, they will thank you for it later.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    One of the best cookbooks I own is called Deceptively Delicious and its written by Jessica Seinfield, Jerrys wife :) and its all recipes where the veggies are hidden within the food to where your kids have NO clue its even there! Its a fantastic way to get those much needed veggies into your kids without the fuss and fight and the "I dont like its".
    Also, as parents, we just have to be stronger...sure,we can give our kids treats and there is nothing wrong with our kids liking and enjoying those treats, but its up to US to make sure thats not all they eat and that they only get it occasionally....we are the ones that go grocery shopping and if we simply dont buy it, or buy healthy alternatives, then that is what our kids will eat!
    Also, making simple changes in the ingrediants of things we already make can make a huge difference too....use natural unbleached minimally processed cane sugar instead of white sugar, use whole wheat flour instead of white, use a more healthy cooking oil, dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, organic fruits and veggies instead of regular....there is SO much we can do, we have a lot more control than we think we do!
    you are so right with the grocery shopping. think most mothers use their children ans crutches and say "oh my kid loves these cookies, even though i eat all of them but 2"Or their children whine and cry for something at the store and then they give up and throw it n the basket. If you don't want to deal with your children, then either teach them not to do that or don't take them shopping with you.
    I grew up in a house where I was told no, a LOT. There were desserts that we could have, but some were just for the parents. My mom did a ton of baking back in the day(when she was on her "good mom trip") and we got to eat some of those, but the "expensive" icecreams or chocolates, those were for the parents. They never bought a whole bunch of snacks and treats(we were poor) and then gave us 4 of them a day. We got to have ONE of something for dessert if we ate all our veggies for dinner, and that something was usually homemade.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have two daughters, 2 and 4. My 4 year old is a skinny minnie and EATS. In fact, she prefers fruit over sweet treats - I think she's like her Mamma and is a salty snacker over sugar. My 2 year old will eat ANYTHING put in front of her. She's only 3 lbs lighter than her sister :)

The approach I'm taking is to teach them exactly what I'm now learning - foods are good energy and foods are also bad energy. I tell them both that they need good energy for learning, playing and being healthy. Bad energy foods are treats and must be limited. They know desert is usually "bad energy" (even though it's often fruit) and that they MUST eat their good energy first or their bodies won't like it and will feel bad.

I'm telling you, this approach is really working! I've taken the big concept and simplified it for my kids and their ages. I'm even encorporating the sleep and exercise as "good energy" makers.

I find that people just don't TALK to their kids anymore. I don't know what it is, if they feel like maybe the kids don't understand? It's key though, to building a good foundation.

Oh and I apply the "good energy/bad energy" to drinks too - LIMIT JUICE! So important!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this topic!!!

I am horrified when I see fat youngsters going down the same path of destruction as their fat parents. What is wrong with these people? In the supermarket I see these very same people with soda, chips, ice cream, hot dogs etc...BUT is there chicken or fish or fresh veg???? Noooooo. Makes me very sad to see people in this sorry state.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options

Slightly off topic, but I think one of the other major things parents are responsible for is their childs self esteem, and despite the fact that she says she is happy with her size, her attitude says something different. Not only is she teaching her child poor health habits, but she is teaching low self esteem and bitterness. :noway:

For some time now I have struggled with the "big is beautiful" concept that seems to be gaining steam. I certainly think that models set unrealistic expectations, but someone saying that they love being 300 pounds I think is ignoring all of the great health risks. We know the Biggest Loser also sets unrealistic expectations, but you don't see the contestants saying "great, I can now look hot" they are talking about dropping medications, being able to walk, not feeling in pain non-stop.

I think that we should embrace all body types, but I don't think blatantly unhealthy lifestyles should be encouraged in that. Especially (to get back to topic) to children who don't even have a choice!!! There is a woman in my office who talks about her overweight daughter (at 5 :sad: ) who then in the next sentance mentions the latest fad diet she is on (also quite overweight). It is so sad, but I don't feel it is my place to say anything so I just have to pray it gets better for them.

Thank you so much for this topic and for making your point in such a clear manner.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have two daughters, 2 and 4. My 4 year old is a skinny minnie and EATS. In fact, she prefers fruit over sweet treats - I think she's like her Mamma and is a salty snacker over sugar. My 2 year old will eat ANYTHING put in front of her. She's only 3 lbs lighter than her sister :)

The approach I'm taking is to teach them exactly what I'm now learning - foods are good energy and foods are also bad energy. I tell them both that they need good energy for learning, playing and being healthy. Bad energy foods are treats and must be limited. They know desert is usually "bad energy" (even though it's often fruit) and that they MUST eat their good energy first or their bodies won't like it and will feel bad.

I'm telling you, this approach is really working! I've taken the big concept and simplified it for my kids and their ages. I'm even encorporating the sleep and exercise as "good energy" makers.

I find that people just don't TALK to their kids anymore. I don't know what it is, if they feel like maybe the kids don't understand? It's key though, to building a good foundation.

Oh and I apply the "good energy/bad energy" to drinks too - LIMIT JUICE! So important!

Yeah - I told my 4 year old daughter that if her diet consist mostly of ice cream and chocolate - SHE WILL DIE! :noway: OH YES I DID! :laugh: Got the point through to her. It may be mean, but she is stubborn and would rather starve herself than eat a carrot!
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    One of the best cookbooks I own is called Deceptively Delicious and its written by Jessica Seinfield, Jerrys wife :) and its all recipes where the veggies are hidden within the food to where your kids have NO clue its even there! Its a fantastic way to get those much needed veggies into your kids without the fuss and fight and the "I dont like its".(quote)
    ]

That is a great book and the recipes work for spouses as well as kids!