Pre-packaged rice/pasta....

Options
Ok, this might be a strange question, but I was wondering something. I have several packages of Knorr Rice (and Pasta) sides. I know they are loaded with sodium, so i was thinking that maybe if I rinse the rice/pasta before I cook it, I could rinse out most of the pre-packaged seasoning and put my own. Is that something that would help? I don't want to up my sodium too high.

Replies

• ShadowsVale
    Options
    Anyone?
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    common sense tells me that rinsing seasoning off would cut some of the sodium. watch out for the MSG though
  • ShadowsVale
    Options
    I've heard of MSG, but I've never been sure of what it is.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It's a preservative that enhances the "savory" taste (more specifically known as umami) of your food. It's often found in Americanized Chinese food. People are wary of it because it preserves food to Twinkie-like standards (as in, a long, long time).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Twinkies get stale after a week or two.

Sodium isn't worth worrying about unless you have a medical issue.
  • ShadowsVale
    Options
    So, if I rinse the pre-packaged seasoning off the rice and add my own, will that reduce the MSG I'll be consuming?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    So, if I rinse the pre-packaged seasoning off the rice and add my own, will that reduce the MSG I'll be consuming?

Why are you concerned about MSG? Some people think they're "sensitive" to MSG, but scientific experiments don't support these claims. If you think you're sensitive to MSG, you should be eating foods without it, not trying to rinse some off.

If you're not "sensitive" to MSG, just eat the seasoning and don't worry about it. Some extra sodium won't negatively affect your weight loss.
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's a preservative that enhances the "savory" taste (more specifically known as umami) of your food. It's often found in Americanized Chinese food. People are wary of it because it preserves food to Twinkie-like standards (as in, a long, long time).

I'm fairly sure MSG isn't a preservative, just a flavor enhancer. A version of it is found naturally in some foods (parmesan, tomato paste, mushrooms...) - not that I think it needs to be added artificially, but I'm skeptical it's as scary as people make it out to be. If it causes you migraines or something, then by all means avoid it, but if not, eh.
  • ShadowsVale
    Options

I'm fairly sure MSG isn't a preservative, just a flavor enhancer. A version of it is found naturally in some foods (parmesan, tomato paste, mushrooms...) - not that I think it needs to be added artificially, but I'm skeptical it's as scary as people make it out to be. If it causes you migraines or something, then by all means avoid it, but if not, eh.

I've heard it's bad for your health even if you don't have symptoms which is why when it was mentioned, I was concerned.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I've heard it's bad for your health even if you don't have symptoms which is why when it was mentioned, I was concerned.

Yeah a lot of people have "heard" that but it's nonsense.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Why are you concerned about sodium?
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Low sodium eater here (High blood pressure). As the prepackaged sides go, Knorr is better than Rice-a-Roni for sodium. Some of the pastas are almost reasonable. I have never seen MSG listed on their ingredients, so don't go to all the fuss and just make it as directed. If you want to keep down the sodium, don't add any salt or seasoning salt to it.
  • ShadowsVale
    Options

My family has a history of high blood pressure so I'm trying to be careful.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What Johnny said on both accounts.

I eat Knorr Rice Sides regularly. It hasn't negatively impacted my weight. And I don't see monosodium glutamate (msg) as an ingredient on the handful of packages I just checked. Some might.

Truth be told, when I was obsessive about restricting sodium, the only difference it made was that I was more sensitive to sodium during those times I couldn't avoid it (restaurant food, other people's cooking). I don't get wild fluctuations in my water weight now that I'm less restrictive about it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ok, this might be a strange question, but I was wondering something. I have several packages of Knorr Rice (and Pasta) sides. I know they are loaded with sodium, so i was thinking that maybe if I rinse the rice/pasta before I cook it, I could rinse out most of the pre-packaged seasoning and put my own. Is that something that would help? I don't want to up my sodium too high.
    The sodium is in the flavoring.

It's around 600 or 700 grams, though, so if you keep your sodium low for other meals, it isn't that bad. Plus, going over sodium every once in a while isn't the end of the world.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

My family has a history of high blood pressure so I'm trying to be careful.
    Do YOU have a history of it? My mother has very high BP. Mine is never higher than 110/60 unless I'm very stressed. I don't deliberately eat low sodium.
  • meganrae09
    meganrae09 Posts: 10
    Options
    If you are going to buy rice/pasta with the seasoning already included, only to rinse off the seasoning and add your own, maybe consider just buying plain rice/pasta that comes without seasoning.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If you are going to buy rice/pasta with the seasoning already included, only to rinse off the seasoning and add your own, maybe consider just buying plain rice/pasta that comes without seasoning.

This. Give those packets to the food bank.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Twinkies get stale after a week or two.

Sodium isn't worth worrying about unless you have a medical issue.

That's not entirely true...I didn't worry about it and it caused my medical issue. It's a lot easier to prevent the medical problems then to try and treat them after the fact.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    If you have high blood pressure, sodium IS a huge problem. I have a dear friend who has high blood pressure and likes salty flavors, one of those people who likes to sprinkle on some extra salt. He also has a 12" dissecting aneurysm that could kill him at any moment.