"What's Your Secret?"

Options
JoelGMT
JoelGMT Posts: 4 Member
"What's Your Secret?"

I have lost 25 lbs and I am happy and proud of that, but I keep hearing the same question: "What's your secret?"... Now I am finally going to divulge my secret:

The secret is, that there is NO secret. A secret easy step to losing weight is like the Holy Grail. Those that search for it will never find it...it doesn't exist.

Losing weight is SIMPLE in PRINCIPLE but HARD to DO. The principle is easy math: Calories in must be less than calories out...or for the Algebraic amongst us: if A=calories eaten and B=calories burned, A<B=weight lost. That's it.

Of course, knowing the gas makes the car move and the brake pedal makes it stop doesn't make someone a good driver. Knowing that eating less makes you lose weight doesn't make it easy. So what am I supposed to eat?

Well that isn't a difficult question really...Remember how your mom told you to "eat your vegetables"? Well....EAT YOUR VEGETABLES! Eat less meat, use less fat when you cook and prepare food. Restaurants have ruined Americans sense of what a "portion" is. A real portion is much smaller than what you get at Olive Garden or Red Lobster. Also, your plate should be 75% vegetable and 25% (or less) meat. Not the other way around.

In short, we all know what to eat and do to lose weight...we just don't want to do it..

Replies

• krrs1980
    krrs1980 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This drives me nuts sometimes. I get that a lot; "what are you doing?" When I tell them "Calories in calories out and lots of exercise, I get a lot of hands up in the air and "pffft, I thought you had an easier way." People don't want to stop eating their large portions of Olive Garden :)
  • JoelGMT
    JoelGMT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    They want a magic pill...and congratulations to you on your loss.
  • krrs1980
    krrs1980 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    They want a magic pill...and congratulations to you on your loss.

Yes, I think that's what they're looking for. And thank you :)
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, must be an epidemic question/response. I get the same thing. People are so disappointed when they hear the truth, again.

Someday I am going to put in my purse:
    1. some kind of shirt that says, "wear this. get thin."
    2. A pill bottle full of jelly beans with a homemade label that says, "secret weight loss formula"

When I hear The Question, I will pull one out and say, "this." If I am feeling extra perturbed, I will say, "and for extra insurance, add this." Done.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I get asked how I lost weight a lot my self, having gone from a size 20 to a size 10 in about a year in a half time frame. Honestly I'm human and slip up, but I just get right back on it. MFP is my secret weapon, I tell people that I use MFP and keep a food exercise diary, I get looks of disappointment, like that's it? Yea, I try to eat right and I exercise. Simple, but no magic pill
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Nice job on your loss! I am down about that also. Here's my answer...

I'll tell you the secret but you're not gonna like it. A proper diet and exercise. With emphasis on the diet.

What do you eat?

Anything I want to as long as it's less than 2090 calories a day.

Oh (blank stare)
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    LOL this is the #1 question that everyone asks me.

Funny story, I had this guy at work argue with me, like I was telling a lie. He said he had some female friends that were trying to lose weight and wanted to know what my secret was (thought I took some pills or something). I told him that I work out and I'm eating differently.
    He said "I saw how big you were and you cannot tell me that you were just working out" - Needless to say I wanted to punch him in the mouth, but didn't the HR backlash lol.

I told him that it is all I did and he just walked away. People don't want to put in the work
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You are so right. I get that a lot, even after starting my weight loss years ago. I hear a lot of coworkers complaining about weight, yet we have cookies...donuts....cupcakes brought in and we are told to enjoy the 'treat'! When I pass I hear 'you are so dedicated' as they eat their cupcake or their bag of burger and fries from MickyDs.. I just figure it took me a while to catch on to how to live healthier and I'm STILL learning. Maybe they haven't reached that point yet. I just hope that they do.
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I'll tell you the secret but you're not gonna like it. A proper diet and exercise. With emphasis on the diet.

What do you eat?

Oh (blank stare)

LOL, nice. I'm going to use this
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    LOL this is the #1 question that everyone asks me.

Funny story, I had this guy at work argue with me, like I was telling a lie. He said he had some female friends that were trying to lose weight and wanted to know what my secret was (thought I took some pills or something). I told him that I work out and I'm eating differently.
    He said "I saw how big you were and you cannot tell me that you were just working out" - Needless to say I wanted to punch him in the mouth, but didn't the HR backlash lol.

I told him that it is all I did and he just walked away. People don't want to put in the work

Oh I know, I told a female friend of mine, I count calories and exercise. She went off in a rant about how you can't lose weight that way, blah blah blah. I wanted to punch her. I'm 52 pounds lighter and 8 sizes smaller so what now B*tch! lol
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yep. I tell people "It's just math." I count my calories and I work out to burn more calories than I eat. Like, all those years where the doctor said, "You can lose weight and improve your health with diet and exercise," . . . . ? Well, turns out you can lose weight and improve your health . . . with diet and exercise. Go figure.

I've also had people ask, "Are you . . . all right?" And I laugh and say, "Oh yes. I don't have cancer or some wasting disease. I'm just eating less and exercising more, that's all. Everything is fine."

And everything IS fine, pretty much. I'm now off my blood-pressure meds, for instance. My clothes fit better. I feel much more energetic. I deal with stress better. I'm not tired all the time. You know?

Congrats on your continuing work and your weight loss!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I had an aunt ask me this, I told her about MFP and the workouts I was doing, that the key to weight loss is portion control, she put her nose in the air and said "I can't do that." I asked her if she couldn't do it or she wouldn't do it? You can do anything you set your mind to do but it can't be a matter of interest, it has to be a commitment, it has to be something you desire and as some have called me "Obsess" over. Which I don't call it obsessive, I call it determined to see my body where I desire it.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    My secret is......keep going...
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I get that question a lot.

I answer truthfully and get the blank stare.

One of these days I'm going to tell people I had my jaw wired shut for 2 years. Hmmm, wonder if that would start a new weight loss craze?
  • croooz
    croooz Posts: 48 Member
    Options

What do you eat?

Oh (blank stare)

This! There is no correct ratio of this or that. Just eat less, move more. If you want to lose fat eat less. If you want to transform your muscles, then lift heavy weights. It's not sexy but it works....and it'll have you looking sexy. :)
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Amazing concept, that diet and exercise....
  • HereCOMESErika
    HereCOMESErika Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "What's Your Secret?"

I have lost 25 lbs and I am happy and proud of that, but I keep hearing the same question: "What's your secret?"... Now I am finally going to divulge my secret:

The secret is, that there is NO secret. A secret easy step to losing weight is like the Holy Grail. Those that search for it will never find it...it doesn't exist.

Losing weight is SIMPLE in PRINCIPLE but HARD to DO. The principle is easy math: Calories in must be less than calories out...or for the Algebraic amongst us: if A=calories eaten and B=calories burned, A<B=weight lost. That's it.

Of course, knowing the gas makes the car move and the brake pedal makes it stop doesn't make someone a good driver. Knowing that eating less makes you lose weight doesn't make it easy. So what am I supposed to eat?

Well that isn't a difficult question really...Remember how your mom told you to "eat your vegetables"? Well....EAT YOUR VEGETABLES! Eat less meat, use less fat when you cook and prepare food. Restaurants have ruined Americans sense of what a "portion" is. A real portion is much smaller than what you get at Olive Garden or Red Lobster. Also, your plate should be 75% vegetable and 25% (or less) meat. Not the other way around.

In short, we all know what to eat and do to lose weight...we just don't want to do it..

BAM!!!!
  • Harlequinndancer
    Harlequinndancer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This drives me nuts sometimes. I get that a lot; "what are you doing?" When I tell them "Calories in calories out and lots of exercise, I get a lot of hands up in the air and "pffft, I thought you had an easier way." People don't want to stop eating their large portions of Olive Garden :)

I am constantly getting strange looks when I ask for my order with a take away box so that I can box up what I won't eat that meal straight away. Got the most interesting reaction at a pub in Devon, England....'uh,...we don't have any boxes...' I asked her for a piece of aluminum foil instead lol My friends husband thought I was the strangest person for doing it as he'd never heard of it before :laugh:
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I had one of those conversations with a guy at work. I finally got frustrated and told him he obviously didn't want it bad enough.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been getting similar questions too. I like to say a simple "eat less, move more." It's amazing how people seem to think anyone who has lost noticeable weight (intentionally) has done it any other way.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!