How many pushups can you do

Options

Replies

• overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    100 per day, 4 sets, 25 reps. It's exercise like pushups that make me thank God for being a genius and creating our bodies to exercise on the go, with no gym in sight.

If I get into a frustrating situation at work, I'll disappear into the inventory room and squeeze out 20 pushups.
  • paul82682
    paul82682 Posts: 48
    Options
    before BMT i could barely do 25 before giving out. when i graduated BMT i could do 60 in a minute. i think that number's dropped a tad though...
  • mlck2323
    mlck2323 Posts: 87
    Options
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm at 15 pushups with a metronome. I like to use a metronome/click tape because it keeps you consistant, and the slower you go, the harder the pushups become.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Alright - I just did my PT test too.. so I can do 42 in a minute!!
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I think I can do one, three the most.. very sad I know hahah
  • laureneva
    laureneva Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    :noway:
    none nada zilch zero :explode:

i can barely get a good one in before my weak wrists cave out:sick:
    its getting worked on though... i've started doing those dips the guy was talking about where you use a bench and do it that way
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I don't do push-ups--bad shoulder and it would kill it--but has anyone seen that Japanese game show, "Unbeatable Bansuke"? They have people doing impossible challenges and one is where they will have 2 people face off doing push-ups. I've seen people do over 200 plus push-ups! Granted, they weren't great form but still!!
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    48 in 2 minutes for the academy. I did dips to get my # up, it worked well, I doubles my max in 4 weeks.

push ups are my weakness. I just dont have a strong chest. I have been working with an Army guy though. His advice to me was pump out as many as I can and then go to knee pushups. He said it isnt giving up because you are still working the muscles and eventually you will get up to where you want to be. He said the same with pullups, do as many as you can and then have someone hold your ankles (thankfully pullups are not part of my pt test...:wink: )

I was in the Army and that was the way everyone increased their pushups quickly. Pushups were my weakness as well and I was in an Army school learning a foreign language. We had a 10 minute break every hour and my sergeant would make me do as many "normal" pushups as I could and then do as many knee push ups as I could- during every break. I did that for about 3 weeks and increased my pushups 3 fold. So it does work. Good Luck :):wink:
  • sundaygirl85
    Options
    0!

But I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! My excuse is that I'm pear-shaped and have strong and naturally muscular legs (my dad played rugby - I have his thighs!) but zero upper body strength. I'm working on it though, doing 3 sets of 10 'girly' press ups 3 times a week so I'll get there some day...
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I have very bad wrists. (injured them years back when I was in gymnastics) So I do my pushups on a closed fist that way I'm not putting the same type of pressure on my wrists. I started out doing the girlie ones(started with 2 reps of 10 now up to 2 reps of 20) and when I went to the restroom I would do them on the sink(started with 10 each time now up to 30). Now when I do my full pushups with my closed fists I can do about 10 before I feel like I'm gonna fall over and die...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Then I usually force myself to do 2 or 3 more just to build endurance. You've gotta start low and build up. I used to only do maybe 1 or 2 and quit...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Back in the day I was knicking out around 100 in a one minute timed test. Now after several wrist injuries (right with you Kel) I can knock out around 60 before I am overcome with pain. Oh well. 60 is still decent I guess. (I hate getting old) :cry:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    One.

If I'm lucky.

Actually, I've been working more on my arms lately, although no focus on my chest. Maybe I'll try one at the gym today and see if I can make it to two!
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    i cant do any:blushing:

jackie
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    I can do

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Back in the day I was knicking out around 100 in a one minute timed test. Now after several wrist injuries (right with you Kel) I can knock out around 60 before I am overcome with pain. Oh well. 60 is still decent I guess. (I hate getting old) :cry:

Is that 60 with or without MAnda under U.

Sorry MAnda I had 2 :laugh: :laugh:
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    24!!!!:bigsmile:
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options

Is that 60 with or without MAnda under U.

Sorry MAnda I had 2 :laugh: :laugh:

If Manda ids under U I believe U on the minute part. Stud.:bigsmile:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I can do around 105...
    I could do more but thats when my wrists start to hurt
    and its certainly not under a minute
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    0!

But I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! My excuse is that I'm pear-shaped and have strong and naturally muscular legs (my dad played rugby - I have his thighs!) but zero upper body strength. I'm working on it though, doing 3 sets of 10 'girly' press ups 3 times a week so I'll get there some day...

That was my problem as well i am very muscular in my legs but never focused on my upper body until now no more excuses for me- I want to up my number