FIRST TO GO - SUGAR, CAL'S, CARBS OR SODIUM

Replies

• Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Post Script-
    if you absolutley feel you must target a caloric intake a rule of thumb is to use 10 calories per pound target weight and 1 gram of protein per pound target weight. But in my own experience, it's just the carbs.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Stay within your calorie limit, aim for at least 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, aim for at least .35g fat per pound of body weight, and let the rest fall where it may.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Please ignore all of this......

You can safely ignore managing sodium. See http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/we-only-think-we-know-the-truth-about-salt.html?pagewanted=all (google Taubes on Sodium New York Times if cutting and pasting is a pain). you can also ignore fiber in case you were wondering.http://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-weight-loss/1657454-science-no-evidence-fiber-vegetables-required.html

Sugar is a Carbohydrate so if you manage carbs you manage sugar directly.
    You need not manage calories, protein or fat. Yes, that's correct. if you manage carbohydrates, these manage themselves.

That leaves you with only carbohydrates to manage.

when you set up in MFP, the system will propose a carbohydrate level to manage you to. Mine happened to be 250 grams of carbs a day. Switch the goals so that you manage them directly instead of relying on MFP's guidelines. change the carbs MFP proposes so that you LOWER the carbs. You should be able to safely cut the initial MFP guideline in half. You can also safely go to under 100 grams of carbs a day (i.e. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc, all track to under 100 grams of carbs a day).

this will force your protein and fat intake up. don't worry about it. eat all the fat and protein you want. DON"T REDUCE YOUR FAT INTAKE! Yes, that's right. your body will need the fat for energy when it starts missing all the carbs. remember, your body burns FAT for energy, stores CARBS (AS FAT) and builds tissue out of Protein. It will take a few weeks for your body to switch to Ketosis and begin the FAT burning (instead of FAT BUILDING) that you're looking for.

You may find after a week you can attack the carb cycle again and take your grams of carbs down to 50 or so grams per day. don't worry. your body doesn't 'NEED' carbs. it doesn't need 'whole grains' or starches or anything. It just needs FATs and Proteins.

you're on your way. read Gary's pdf at
    http://www.dragaonordestino.net/Drachenwut_Blog_DragaoNordestino/Ernaehrung/Ernaehrung_arquivos/Notes-to-Good-Calories-Bad-Calories.pdf
    because you can't take me as an authority.

FAST - ok, you're next concern is how fast can this work. In my and my wife's experience it CAN work fast. my wife dropped about 30 pounds in four - five weeks, (175 to 145). the carbohydrate reduction will initially cause you to stop carrying so much water (that thing they keep trying to tell you salt does to you is actually done by carbohydrates).

Stay on it. don't worry about exercise beyond walking or swimming please. and walking in water is fine (great) too. no running at this point. if you're heavy as you suggest you are running hurts your body. walking on land or in the pool is fine.

that's it. you'll regularly drop weight each week. once you begin approaching your goal weight exercise to your heart's content but please do not think exercise helps you lose weight. it doesn't. it only works and builds muscle and any reduction in weight is incidental.

YOU MUST CONSUME ENOUGH CALORIES For your body to not start fasting! if you reduce your caloric intake the body will suspect you are in a famine and it will SLOW your metabolsim. You actually want to flood your body with protein and fat so that your body's metabolism will 'accelerate'. As the carbohydrates are removed from your system, the pancreas will finally stop pushing insulin (the adipose building hormone) into your blood stream, take a nice long nap and the body will begin to turn to its only other source of energy which is your STORED FAT. it will then begin to burn it. You need not exercise for this to happen.

it's so damn simple and society so miseducates us as to how it works that I'm actually distressed everytime i see an overweight person trying to starve the weight off.

you're going to miss bread! don't eat it. there are some low car breads at sprouts, like 8-11 grams of carbs per ounce but my suggestion is to stop eating bread, grains, cereal, potatoes, rice, sugar. if it's white it ain't right like they say.

you'll eat meat, chicken, fish, vegetables (cooked). stay away from fruit (sugar), milk (use almond milk unsweetened), use Truvia or Atkins bars for your sweet tooth.

good luck, keep us posted. this should be good for 10-40 pounds in the first month you try it.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,174 Member
    The first thing I cut out was white carbs....bread, potatoes, rice, noodles and pasta...and all processed sugar for one month. After that, I started to add in whole grain bread and pasta...stayed off rice and noodles. Potatoes I would have on occasion and only about 3-4 oz. at a time. I limit my sugars because I have diabetes. But if you have no medical condition that would cause you to limit sugar, I wouldnt worry about it.

Or you can just eat anything you want in moderation...its your choice. But keeping my carbs low has worked for me.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    It depends on your goals and your health. My first priority was cutting back on sodium because I have high blood pressure and wanted to come off my medications. Diabetics are going to be more concerned with sugars first. Really, everyone is different and their goals are different. You need to tailor your habits to you and nobody else. Me personally, I don't monitor fat intake because I'm more concerned about meeting my potassium requirements. Maybe talking to your primary care physician is a good place to start.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    You can safely ignore managing sodium. See http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/we-only-think-we-know-the-truth-about-salt.html?pagewanted=all (google Taubes on Sodium New York Times if cutting and pasting is a pain). you can also ignore fiber in case you were wondering.http://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-weight-loss/1657454-science-no-evidence-fiber-vegetables-required.html

Sugar is a Carbohydrate so if you manage carbs you manage sugar directly.
    You need not manage calories, protein or fat. Yes, that's correct. if you manage carbohydrates, these manage themselves.

That leaves you with only carbohydrates to manage.

when you set up in MFP, the system will propose a carbohydrate level to manage you to. Mine happened to be 250 grams of carbs a day. Switch the goals so that you manage them directly instead of relying on MFP's guidelines. change the carbs MFP proposes so that you LOWER the carbs. You should be able to safely cut the initial MFP guideline in half. You can also safely go to under 100 grams of carbs a day (i.e. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc, all track to under 100 grams of carbs a day).

this will force your protein and fat intake up. don't worry about it. eat all the fat and protein you want. DON"T REDUCE YOUR FAT INTAKE! Yes, that's right. your body will need the fat for energy when it starts missing all the carbs. remember, your body burns FAT for energy, stores CARBS (AS FAT) and builds tissue out of Protein. It will take a few weeks for your body to switch to Ketosis and begin the FAT burning (instead of FAT BUILDING) that you're looking for.

You may find after a week you can attack the carb cycle again and take your grams of carbs down to 50 or so grams per day. don't worry. your body doesn't 'NEED' carbs. it doesn't need 'whole grains' or starches or anything. It just needs FATs and Proteins.

you're on your way. read Gary's pdf at
    http://www.dragaonordestino.net/Drachenwut_Blog_DragaoNordestino/Ernaehrung/Ernaehrung_arquivos/Notes-to-Good-Calories-Bad-Calories.pdf
    because you can't take me as an authority.

FAST - ok, you're next concern is how fast can this work. In my and my wife's experience it CAN work fast. my wife dropped about 30 pounds in four - five weeks, (175 to 145). the carbohydrate reduction will initially cause you to stop carrying so much water (that thing they keep trying to tell you salt does to you is actually done by carbohydrates).

Stay on it. don't worry about exercise beyond walking or swimming please. and walking in water is fine (great) too. no running at this point. if you're heavy as you suggest you are running hurts your body. walking on land or in the pool is fine.

that's it. you'll regularly drop weight each week. once you begin approaching your goal weight exercise to your heart's content but please do not think exercise helps you lose weight. it doesn't. it only works and builds muscle and any reduction in weight is incidental.

YOU MUST CONSUME ENOUGH CALORIES For your body to not start fasting! if you reduce your caloric intake the body will suspect you are in a famine and it will SLOW your metabolsim. You actually want to flood your body with protein and fat so that your body's metabolism will 'accelerate'. As the carbohydrates are removed from your system, the pancreas will finally stop pushing insulin (the adipose building hormone) into your blood stream, take a nice long nap and the body will begin to turn to its only other source of energy which is your STORED FAT. it will then begin to burn it. You need not exercise for this to happen.

it's so damn simple and society so miseducates us as to how it works that I'm actually distressed everytime i see an overweight person trying to starve the weight off.

you're going to miss bread! don't eat it. there are some low car breads at sprouts, like 8-11 grams of carbs per ounce but my suggestion is to stop eating bread, grains, cereal, potatoes, rice, sugar. if it's white it ain't right like they say.

you'll eat meat, chicken, fish, vegetables (cooked). stay away from fruit (sugar), milk (use almond milk unsweetened), use Truvia or Atkins bars for your sweet tooth.

good luck, keep us posted. this should be good for 10-40 pounds in the first month you try it.

That's not true about not needing to worry about sodium or sugar. I've come off 3 different blood pressure medications by monitoring my sodium intake. My mother stays off diabetic medications by monitoring her sugar intake. Blanket statements like this shouldn't be made.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    First to go was calories. That's worked well for the last 18 months. If I start fussing with the rest, I'll let you know which comes up as #2. Eating healthier foods in general will take care of everything else. And I eat plenty of white carbs, white bread, white rice, etc. just to give you yet another take on the matter.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Well I haven't cut out anything. And I'm not going to. I have cut down on the amounts I eat of almost everything, except veggies, but to cut them out completely sets me up for failure. On the weekends I normally eat out once on Saturday and once on Sunday, and what I order is determined by the amount of bicycling I've done that day. Yesterday was rainy, so when I went out for dinner last night I had a diet soft drink, poached salmon, and a salad. Today I may get out more, so I may make different choices because when I bike, I need more calories. It's all simple math to me.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    For me, it was sugar & milk/cheese. I rarely have dairy now because apparently I'm allergic to milk--I cannot give up the occasional slice of pizza or Greek yogurt, though. And a can of Coke is a once or twice per month treat these days. I think cutting out the soda and cutting way back on beer has made the biggest difference for me.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 449 Member
    sugar. ever since i watch my sugars i have lost more
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    I think you should take a step back and see with which item you have the biggest issue with then start cutting accordingly.
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    You shouldn't need to cut/reduce any specific thing. Just replace crappy foods with better ones and watch your portion sizes. If you are counting calories, just eat balanced and you should be fine. When I started, I didn't worry about cutting this or that out. I just increased protein and fiber... so if you increase those and have a calorie limit, you will automatically reduce fat and carbs.

Sugar and Sodium should be watched so you aren't getting too many of them. But I don't find them to have much affect on weight... generally the people I know that cut sugar out of their diet also just started eating a lot less food.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition or a family history of one, sugar and sodium aren't really something to worry about.

If you aim to hit your macros, ie carbs, protein and fat, on a regular basis and stay within your calorie deficit you will lose weight. With that being said, it doesn't hurt to get in nutrient dense foods as much as you can to help out with fullness and satiety, but don't beat yourself up for enjoying the food you eat even if it does contain more than the arbitrary 30g of sugar that MFP sets up or the outdated recommendation of less than 2500mg of sodium per day.
  • alexadevyn
    alexadevyn Posts: 26
    I am starting at ground zero ... again. However, someone posted, and I'm paraphrasing, "find what you have the biggest issue with." For me that is and will probably always be Dr. Pepper. So- No Dr. Pepper for me. :) It's strange, but on the 6/3/13 I was getting ready for work, couldn't stand how I looked in my clothing, weighed myself and decided that I needed to let it go. I haven't had one since. Do I want one? Duh! But I enjoy feeling a little healthier so much more. More than feeling healthy, I feel like I am in control of my choices. That may sound really lame, but I have always been a very compulsive individual and when I put the soda down I feel like I have the power again. What are you giving your power to?

You are in control of your own destiny! Chose one thing that you know you're allowing to attack your success and ... kill it!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Stay within your calorie limit, aim for at least 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, aim for at least .35g fat per pound of body weight, and let the rest fall where it may.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

Repped. This
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    My first to go was gluten for the last 18 months. But do to high blood sugar i've cut all grains and added sugar now too. Tho i do get sugar from vegs, fruit, stevia is my sweetener of choice.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    The first thing I cut out was white carbs....bread, potatoes, rice, noodles and pasta...and all processed sugar for one month. After that, I started to add in whole grain bread and pasta...stayed off rice and noodles. Potatoes I would have on occasion and only about 3-4 oz. at a time. I limit my sugars because I have diabetes. But if you have no medical condition that would cause you to limit sugar, I wouldnt worry about it.

Or you can just eat anything you want in moderation...its your choice. But keeping my carbs low has worked for me.

If you lower any macro you will lose weight because all macros=cals
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Sugar #1. Do this for 4 weeks.

If you read Sweet Poison by David Gillespie or follow blogs, forums, & the scientific evidence it is pretty clear rhat fructose interferes with leptin (an appetite control hormone).
    Eliminating fructose allows your appetite to settle down.
    Many longer term people who have cut out fructose find they loose a kg a month without dieting.
    Be warned, there is added sugar in most things. Aim for less than 3% sugar (3gm per 100gm).
    Once you have the sugar down, you can try to do other calorie reduction strategies but recognize that in over 60 studies people who went on diets and then measured 2 years later weighed more!
    So if you are a yoyo dieter,one has to have a lifestyle change. It has to be a long term change.
    PS. Clarify. Glucose is ok. We have insulin feedback. Fructose has none. Sucrose (added sugar) is half glucose half fructose. Keep fruit to 1 piece per day, and have it whole.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,174 Member

If you lower any macro you will lose weight because all macros=cals

Agreed. I lowered the carbs so I could eliminate the cravings and because I have diabetes. But, as I said, you can just eat in moderation....ie: lower your calorie intake. It all works.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    I need to lose weight, and a lot of weight. I am sitting here comparing all the different brands from coles, woolies, aldi's etc for the best dietary buy in sugar, white bread, etc. Obviously they all vary different in carbs, calories and sodium.
    When compariing so many items, I usually do a first sort by calories (and get the lowest), then if it's applicable by fiber (the highest). By then, I usually have limited it down to only 1 or 2 choices where it's more practical to look at the totality of the nutrient information.

YMMV