LOSING 50 LBS IN 3-4 MONTHS

Options
Hi everyone.
So I'm new to this site (literally joined 2 minutes ago), and I'm a senior in high school.
I'm 5'3, 162 lbs, 36% body fat. My goal weight is 110 lbs.
I tend to lose weight quickly, but I also gain weight quickly.
I don't eat at the right times at all. (Which is probably why I'm at this weight. )-: )

I'm trying to lose 50 lbs in 3-4 months.
I workout 3-4 times a week for 2 hours, and I target different parts on different days.
I seriously have no idea about how to properly lose weight/do anything in general lol.
So that's why I came here, to hopefully get some tips as tricks.
I want to change how I am. I don't want to be lazy and a potato anymore.
I want to become healthier so I can feel better about myself and gain confdence.
Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Change your goals to more realistic ones. It's too much to lose in that period and crash dieting only leads to regaining the weight at double speed.

I am of course assuming you're 18 (MFP has a minimum age).
  • Mplza
    Mplza Posts: 3
    Options
    I just don't want to feel ugly and fat when I head off to college next year haha
    Do you think I could lose 30lbs in that time span then?
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I just don't want to feel ugly and fat when I head off to college next year haha

Take it slow and learn about nutrition while you're at it.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hello, I calculated your TDEE for you, which is what you burn just existing in the world.
    This number is: 1878 calories a day to maintain your current weight.

To lose 1 lb a week, you must create a 500 calorie deficit by either eating less calories, exercising, or a combination of both.
    So you can eat 1378 calories a day with no exercise to lose weight.
    OR 1378 + calories burnt to maintain the same deficit to lose 1 lb a week.

If you are still a teenager, you need to eat more calories than suggested above because you are still growing, even if it doesn't seem like it.

As you lose weight, it will become slower, however I think you could definitely lose 30lbs by this time next year if you really stick to this.
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. You're on the right track. Along with going the the gym you need to figure out how to fit in healthy eating habits. It's simple math really, you need to burn more calories then you eat and that equals weight loss. Do not get discouraged if you don't hit 50lbs lost, that's quite a target to hit in 3-4 months. A healthy weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds per week. So at 2 lbs lost every week for 4 months = 32 lbs (which is awesome). You will have weeks where you don't lose and weeks where you lose 3 so don't get frustrated. Keep exercising and eating healthy and you'll lose weight.

Good luck.
  • shrinking_sarah
    shrinking_sarah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Aim for 1-2 lbs per week, so a more realistic goal for 4 months is 30-ish lbs. If you're exercising a lot, make sure you hydrate and eat plenty of protein. Avoid refined carbs (white sugar, processed flour, white rice); they cause blood sugar spikes/crashes which will make you feel more hungry.

I have a bodymedia fit armband (but there are lots of options on the market). It tells me how many calories I burn each day. I find it really helpful. It links with MFP, so each day I see how many calories I burned, now many I ate, and my "deficit." A 3500 calorie deficit is supposed to = 1 lb of fat loss.

Keep in mind that if you do strength training and build muscle, you may find your body shrinking even if the scale doesn't move down as much as you'd like. Keep track of measurements, too.

Best of luck to you!
  • Mplza
    Mplza Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all for the great tips!
    I might change my goal to 30ish lbs in 4 months then.

Keep them coming! I'm totally down to learn more/open to new ideas
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go to the gym. You can do plenty of work outs at home of many diverse kinds.
    The key for losing weight will come from learning about nutrition as some one above said.
    Good luck!
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) I was 165 when I started and currently I am @ 128, I am 5'6. I lost this weight from the end of Sept to now, so 8 months for 37 lbs. Yes some people lose fast, but those people are usually either a lot bigger to begin with or are doing an extreme form of dieting that is unhealthy... and most of the time the weight will come back quickly again after. I made a conscious decision that I wanted to attack the root of the problem and skip the years of yo-yo dieting and diet fads. You should really look at setting realistic goals, with an average of 1-2 lbs per week. So in 4 months you would be looking at 16- 32 lbs could be realistic and obtainable :) If you lose more, then awesome, but setting obtainable goals will be better for you because then you are less likely to get discouraged and give up if you don't meet certain deadlines.

Remember, it's not a race! :) Best of luck!
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great tips!
    I might change my goal to 30ish lbs in 4 months then.

Keep them coming! I'm totally down to learn more/open to new ideas

Great!! I think this is much better! :)
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Losing weight too quickly will only be a temporary fix. It will be a worse let down in the long run because you will gain it back and each time this happens the bigger the disappointment and becoming very discouraged. You need to trust MFP. Be very honest and put in your number's. It is about life style changes and eating healthier. Working out is great. At your age I was doing the same as you are now and still was at 40 so, this part is fine, but choose healthier foods. Have healthy snacks around, but you still need to treat yourself once in a while. It is very exciting to get motivated and start a program like this, but losing it slowly has a much better out come in the long run. You are welcomed to friend me if you want.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Don't put a time frame on when you want to have lost the weight. Just start, start now and see where you are when you start college. It will be better than now eben I'd you haven't reached your goal weight by then. Setting very ambitious goals like that is only going to make you miserable, both when you don't reach it and all the way throughout your weight loss journey.

Just start ans celebrate eher pound you lose!
  • bhenderson87
    Options
    Me personally I would aim for 15 to 20lbs
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you've been overweight for several years, you need to go into this with the knowledge that the child's body you remember having is probably unobtainable. You can lose weight; you cannot make puberty go away. The body that emerges as you lean out will still have hips, will be wider and will likely naturally gravitate towards a higher body fat percentage. What you are thinking of as your ideal weight may not work as well.

That said? You're at a good age to hear this: Lift weights. Build lean muscle mass. Make it a lifetime habit, to protect your bones. Starting now is so much better than starting after you realize you've begun to lose it....
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You can make a big difference by the time you go to college. The question is, what happens when you start college?
    This is a perfect opportunity for you to make a plan to lose the whole 50 (but by the way, a body fat goal is probably more important).
    Lots of people gain weight freshman year. There is a lot of food (and drink!) -- but there are also fantastic fitness opportunities at college, for free, and even for credit. Be the one in your dorm who is known for working out and eating healthy, but eating!
    So I would advise you to make a plan that will take you through the whole year to get to that 50 pounds, with losing over half of it before you get there. That way, you won't starve yourself and work out crazy til you start, then put it all back on. You will start to lose more slowly after you lose that first 30, and that's OK. But the good habits will be built by the time you start, and -- best yet -- you will be losing while most of your classmates are gaining :)
    Remember, no one sees the number on the scale; they see what you look like. What kind of equipment/resources do you have available to you over the summer? A progressive strength program would be great to start now. I have a pair of jeans that fit me at a certain weight a few years ago, and I'm at least 10 pounds over that right now, and they fit better. If you lift all summer, the vast majority of your losses will be pure fat, which is exactly what you want!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Losing that much that fast is not only difficult, its insane. Don't even try it. It isn't healthy, its hard on your body, almost impossible to get adequate nutrition...and you know what? It would be almost guaranteed to come right back within a short time. Do this smart,, do this sensibly, and do it slower.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Since you said any help is appreciated, slow down your weight loss goals. You can probably lose that amount in that time, but you may do so at a cost to your health and energy levels, and if you're not taking the time to teach yourself habits for life, you may end up gaining it back.

I know people who gain and lose the same 30-50lbs their whole lifetime. I gained weight through college and being a newlywed working 2 jobs (on-call teaching and waitressing), and it was stress, lack of exercise, and not getting enough vegetables in my diet that led to my weight gain. Until I dealt with that, and built in new habits, I would have been in the same trap.

I lost weight through eating well - go and see a registered dietician, not a nutritionist (I could go online and get certified as a nutritionist today, but I'm not really equipped with the knowledge to really help people specifically) to get a plan for you and your lifestyle. I also lost and continue to maintain my weight loss through exercise. I aim for 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days per week. Some days I fall short, but I make sure to push harder and longer next time.

tl;dr: establish the goals of healthy habits rather than fast weight loss.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

You are not ugly and fat.

Speaking as someone who lost 80lbs and kept it off = my life rocked at 245lbs and it rocks now at 163. Conversely, the same stressors are in my life.

If you want to feel great about yourself when you head off to college, go for health not the number on the scale. I have every confidence in you that you can lose weight, but your mindset needs to be about doing this for life, not just Frosh week.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting! I agree with all the good advice you've been given.

You won't believe what a big difference even those first 20 pounds will make. If you exercise - do situps and planks and all those strength moves - you will LOOK so much better even if you haven't lost the weight you want to yet.

I also would just find clothes that look great on you at whatever weight you're at. Develop a style and then keep losing. Enthusiasm and smiles and confidence are more important in making someone attractive than anything else. I am a professor and look at students interacting all day long. Really.

When you get to school, DO watch your portion sizes, avoid junk food, and take advantage of the fact that you're going to do a lot of walking just to get to class.