Belly Fat

Options
So I have heard "You can't spot reduce" and I've heard "Abs are made in the kitchen" and both statements confuse the crap outta me.

If you can't spot reduce then why are some exercises for certain parts of the body like push ups and crunches? And if abs are made in the kitchen then what exactly should I be eating/not eating? My stomach is my main focus as of right now and I want to know what has worked for other people.

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Certain exercises might build certain muscles, but the fat comes off wherever it wants to. You can't control what shrinks.

As far as abs being made in the kitchen, the point is that in order for our abs to show, we need to reduce body fat and just not overeat or eat too much junk. Ever hear of a "beer belly"? That's what you're trying to avoid.

So, count your calories, do your workouts, and hope for the best.
  • jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is the last to go, and requires the greatest attention to detail with your diet. The spot reduce thing is basically you can not control where your body burns fat. So even if you do 100 push ups you might burn the fat that is stored elsewhere. Abs made in the kitchen is a reference to dieting. You can do abdominal work all day but if the food coming out of your kitchen is fatty, and junk food your hard work will never show.

This is just my understanding. I am sure others can elaborate more.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    Cut out wheat and dairy completely for a while and see if it makes a difference.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Junk food is basically salt and sugar, they tends to gather around the stomach area. That's where the saying *made in the kitchen come from- also the workouts for specific body parts are more designed for ppl who have already got rid of the fat. In order to see them abs you had to get rid of total body fat. That's the way it works -of our wad as easy as getting advd for abs and doing it, every one would have a sic pack, but it's not
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can't choose where you lose weight. For a lot of people the belly go last. Even if you train your muscles in that area there will still be a layer of fat over the muscles. If you never work out you will see an amelioration from extra attention to this area - toning - but if you already work out it won't make a difference if you don't loose the fat over it.

In the kitchen is like the saying losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise: you need a calorie deficit to lose fat.

It can also mean some food will make you bloated, but that would be only temporary.

Some exercises are for certain parts of the body: to make them toned or stronger and bigger. That won't make you lose weight.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The short version is that the exercises tone the muscles, but you're not necessarily going to see them until you clear away the padding with diet, and there's no way for you to control where you're doing to lose / store the fat. So it really comes down to getting your body fat percentage to a point that looks good to you & exercising to get the muscle definition that you want.
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    So basically I should be doing more cardio and eating correctly to lose the fat instead of doing more toning to lose belly fat?
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well everyone here will tell you to do both.

I'd say follow MFP guideline to lose a pound a week and add whatever toning or strenght exercise you like. I suggest 30DS and lot of people here will suggest heavy lifting.
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Good one OP, you nearly got me.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    So basically I should be doing more cardio and eating correctly to lose the fat instead of doing more toning to lose belly fat?
    Cardio some days. Toning other days. And diet EVERY day.

That would be my suggestion.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

I'd say follow MFP guideline to lose a pound a week and add whatever toning or strenght exercise you like. I suggest 30DS and lot of people here will suggest heavy lifting.

I agree!! I know a lot of people who lost weight following MFP and doing 30DS.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You cannot out train a bad diet, eat clean and do 4-5 days a week of HITT cardio..and weightlifting to build up your muscle tone.
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I agree!! I know a lot of people who lost weight following MFP and doing 30DS.

Thanks for the suggestions MFP peeps! I just wasnt sure if I should be doing A LOT of cardio to lose the fat and THEN do weight lifting. But I will continue to do both about 50/50.. I guess I just have to be patient :grumble:

Oh and I actually already did 30 day shred :bigsmile:
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You cannot out train a bad diet, eat clean and do 4-5 days a week of HITT cardio..and weightlifting to build up your muscle tone.

I don't think I'd have enough energy reserve to do that much HIIT AND lifting. You have to toy with the balance and see what your body will allow you to do. When I first started lifting anything, I was so sore, I had to take more "off" days after. Now, I can fun a day (2-3 miles), lift a day, alternate with one day of rest a week, plus some "fun stuff" like tennis. Still working on mine.