Protein Shakes are they all created equal?

Options
I drink protein shakes for convenience.. I am currently drinking the Boost protein shakes since I can grab one and drink it on my way to places.
Are there better ones?

Replies

• xolat24ox
    Options
    i'm not sure but i would be careful as some protein shakes are actually high in calories... goodluck !
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Most of the "grab 'n' go" protein shakes aren't all that great for you. They're typically very high in sugar, carbs, and calories, while being just "okay" in protein.

Protein powder might be a tad less convenient, but there are less negatives nutritionally speaking and much more protein per serving.

Edit:

Boost Strawberry (meal replacement, essentially):
    8 oz has 240 calories, 6g fat, 33g Carbs, 18g sugar.
    ***8 oz is TINY - seems like a lot of waste here.

1 Scoop of ISO-100 100% Whey Protein Powder (add to a smoothie, oatmeal, yogurt, etc):
    106 Calories, 0 Fat, 0 Carbs, 25g Protein
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have powdered protein, I'll go back to taking the time to do those.. You are correct they are quite a bit less especially since I only use water.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    With the ready-made stuff you generally buy carb shakes, not protein shakes. They're ridiculously high on sugars and stuffed with fillers, so there isn't all that much room left for protein.

Buy a good whey (or, if you're lactose intolerant, hemp) protein powder. By 'good' I mean 25+ g protein and no more than 3 g of carbs per 30 g serving. A 2 lbs tub of that will cost you around $30, which works out at $1 per shake, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the ready-made shakes, especially as you're not paying for crap like fillers.
  • Jewels_Ka
    Jewels_Ka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Designer protein shake is 100 cals per scoop! you can add fruit and coco powder, or rice milk,or make it with almond milk for much better results. That is my fav!
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Most of the "grab 'n' go" protein shakes aren't all that great for you. They're typically very high in sugar, carbs, and calories, while being just "okay" in protein.

Protein powder might be a tad less convenient, but there are less negatives nutritionally speaking and much more protein per serving.

Edit:

Boost Strawberry (meal replacement, essentially):
    8 oz has 240 calories, 6g fat, 33g Carbs, 18g sugar.
    ***8 oz is TINY - seems like a lot of waste here.

1 Scoop of ISO-100 100% Whey Protein Powder (add to a smoothie, oatmeal, yogurt, etc):
    106 Calories, 0 Fat, 0 Carbs, 25g Protein

Is ISO the best kind?! I have been using GNC 100% whey chocolate I thought I was doing good it has 20g protein for 130 cals but 25 gs for only 110 way better!

Is ISO the kind you use? or is there an even better?!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes for convenience.. I am currently drinking the Boost protein shakes since I can grab one and drink it on my way to places.
    Are there better ones?

protein shakes are different and the best ones are the ones that are priced the lowest per gram of protein. lots have a bunch of filler carbs and fats like brands such as muscle milk... best brands are Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize, and wall-mart brands... dont get caught up in the concentrate, isolate, hydrolized protein ur body will absorb them regardless.

now protein itself is not created equal. some whole foods are not complete proteins like protein shakes are. complete proteins are proteins that contain all essential amino acids. complete proteins are foods such as milk, eggs, animal meats, fish and soy. if you get your protein from primarily beans, nuts, vegetables, lentils, etc. you are missing some of the essential amino acids primarily responsible for protein synthisis such as the amino acid leucine.
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i drink shakeology and i love it!here are the comparisons of shakology vs other shakes

http://www.team-ice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Compare-Shakeology-with-other-shakes.jpg
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I make my own..., a chunky monkey! a frozen banana, whey protein, scoop of peanut butter & Vanilla soy milk. Blend it & drink up! Yumster!
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I currently have moved to THEPROTEINWORKS company for their protein powder from Reflex Nutrition - no negatives about Reflex just a bit more expensive ... In fact you can get a free pack of protein powder if you spend £10 (in the UK) from https://www.theproteinworks.com/rewardpoints/index/goReferral/referrer/20556/
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Check out this page for a protein shake .. its called profit and its the best out their

http://themullens.myitworks.com

Reported
  • Dacia327
    Dacia327 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I keep some Premier Protein on hand they are pre mixed have 160 cal,1g sugar, 5 carbs and 30 g protein.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I drink Promasil. It has 22g protein 0g carbs and 1-2g fats (can't remember but it is low) for a total of 98 calories per scoop. Tastes pretty awesome too. I love the milk chocolate one. :)