salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1/4 cup honey
1 lemon, zested, halved and juiced
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 yellow onion, quartered

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Rinse the chicken under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Season inside and out with salt and pepper.
2. Place the chicken in a large roasting pan.

3. Roughly chop two sprigs of the rosemary. In a small bowl, mix together Dijon mustard, honey, chopped rosemary, lemon juice and lemon zest.

4. Place the remaining sprig of rosemary, a lemon half, the onion quarters and garlic in the cavity of the bird. Using a pastry brush, coat the outside of the bird with the lemon honey glaze.

5. Place the roasting pan in the oven and baste the chicken every 15 minutes with any remaining glaze. Roast until a thermometer inserted into the thigh reaches 180° and juices run clear, about one hour. Remove and discard the skin. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Serving Size: 1/4 of chicken

Number of Servings: 4
Per Serving
Calories
Carbohydrate
24 g
Fat
7 g
Fiber
2 g
Protein
47 g
Saturated Fat
1 g
Sodium
333 mg

Replies

• jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts in the crock pot with a little salt, pepper, garlic powder and 1/2 cup to a cup of water. High for 5-6 hours, and it is absolutely falling apart then you can do anything (chicken burritos, bbq chicken, soup, chicken salad). I try to do this on a Sunday afternoon then I can have the main ingredient for several meals for the week. My kids love it too!!!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My chicken is always tough when I try to slow-cook it. Do you use boneless? Or bone in?
    And you use HIGH heat for 5 - 6 hours? Not low?
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    1 whole chicken, washed and dried
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 T fresh cracked black pepper
    1 orange, halved
    3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
    1/2 bunch parsley

mix salt, garlic powder and pepper together and seasong chicken on inside and in between skin and bird. Stuff the inside with orange, garlic and parsley. Roast in preheated 375 oven until juices run clear and thermometer hits 180. I use one of those cool satelite thermometers for in the oven... (best gift ever!) so I never pay attention to the times. I often roast the bird on top of roughly chopped root veggies with a lil white wine and butter mixed in.

Bones and leftovers are great for making soup/stock. Or leftovers for anything you could imagine!
  • jamiesgotagun
    Options
    My chicken is always tough when I try to slow-cook it. Do you use boneless? Or bone in?

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Yes I use High heat usually ends up being close to 6 hours, and it has never been tough. Do you add a little water too it??
  • mstarrett01
    mstarrett01 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paulgee11369
    Options
    I always use low heat for chicken over 3 hours and make sure there is some fluid in there. I like ff low sodium chicken stock/broth for the flavor. I also use boneless skinless chicken breast. Thighs also come out great and tend to be juicier but have a little more fat as well.
  • paulgee11369
    Options
    here is a recipe that sounds wonderful and I am trying tonite

Lime Chicken
    Serve with a green salad and your favorite vegetable..

Servings: 4
    ‹ Back to Entrees

• 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
    • 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
    • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    • 1 teaspoon lime zest
    • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
    • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    • 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper

Mix all marinade ingredients.

Place chicken in zip lock plastic bag. Pour marinade over chicken.
    Close bag and toss to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 3 to 4 hours. Drain and discard marinade. Broil, grill or pan sauteé chicken breast just until done.

Per Serving: 155 Calories; 2g Fat (9.0% calories from fat); 2g Saturated Fat; 28g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 1311mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Yes I use High heat usually ends up being close to 6 hours, and it has never been tough. Do you add a little water too it??

Yes, I usually use low sodium chicken broth. Perhaps I add too much liquid and end up boiling them!
  • jamiesgotagun
    Options

I usually only add 1/2 cup of water, unless I am doing more than 4 breasts. Guess you have to keep playing with it, good luck!!

Yes, I usually use low sodium chicken broth. Perhaps I add too much liquid and end up boiling them!
  • paulgee11369
    Options

another thing to try is either using a gravy mix packet like McCormick's or fat free cream of mushroom soup and this will help the chicken stay moist and you also have a little low cal gravy on the side. My wife also likes it when I use fat free cream of chicken and add some frozen mixed veggies and some seasonings it comes out very much like a pot pie with a fraction of the calories.
  • paulgee11369
    Options
    here is a recipe that sounds wonderful and I am trying tonite

Lime Chicken
    Serve with a green salad and your favorite vegetable..

Servings: 4
    ‹ Back to Entrees

• 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
    • 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
    • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    • 1 teaspoon lime zest
    • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
    • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    • 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper

Mix all marinade ingredients.

Place chicken in zip lock plastic bag. Pour marinade over chicken.
    Close bag and toss to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 3 to 4 hours. Drain and discard marinade. Broil, grill or pan sauteé chicken breast just until done.

Per Serving: 155 Calories; 2g Fat (9.0% calories from fat); 2g Saturated Fat; 28g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 1311mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
    tried this for dinner tonite and it really had way too much lime taste for our liking and aslo seemed to be missing something. I really believe a little less lime juice and some cumin like 1/2 tsp would do wonders for this.

2.5 out of 5 stars
  • booch221
    booch221 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Balsamic Chicken

1 pound of chicken (thighs, breasts, whatever pieces you like)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    3 or 4 cloves of garlic chopped

Mix oil, vinegar, basil and garlic in a shallow pan. Add chicken and marinate an hour or so. Bake in an 350 degree oven until done (about an hour) or grill on the bbq.