1900 calories a day

Options
hey guys, so i was wondering, As a 5'9 210lb male does 1900 calories a day seem like it is too much/too little food? Part of what i've seen on the forums indicates that a lot of people eat closer to 1200 calories, but another part suggests i should eat in the mid 2000 range. Does anyone have any advice as to weather or not im consuming too much or too little? I eat almost completely whole foods and my goal is to lose weight, until about 170lbs. any advice welcomed and appreciated!

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you don't exercise at all and are very sedentary that is about right for calories. If you are exercising then you will need to add a couple hundred or more to your calorie goal.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I'd start on as small as a deficit as possible. 1900 at your size starting out can only spell ruin. Can you imagine how few cals you will have to eat when you need to cut cals two or three times throughout your cut?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a 45 year old 135ish lb female, and my daily goal is about 1950. I ate at 1800 until I landed at goal weight, but am still losing fat after moving up to 1950. I would think you'd need at least 1900, especially if you're active and working out.

I set my goals according to the info and tools in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    you're consuming too little.

Find ur Total daily energy expenditure. Decrease calories by 500 and u'll lose a pound a week
  • frenkinstein
    frenkinstein Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ok so the general consensus seems to be eat more haha, I looked at the link amyrhubarb game me and the number that came out for me for -20% TDEE is 2300 calories. that seems like a lot to me haha, but maybe not, what do you guys think?
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Sounds right to me!