What's the point?

TKelly06
TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have been at this for a while and found out that I need to eat all of my exercise calories to be able to lose my pound a week. So what's the point of exercise? Isn't the whole point to have the deficit to lose more weight? I'm slightly annoyed. Any input would be great.

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    The point of exercise:
    1: for you heart. Many people fat and skinny kill over from heart attacks because they don't put healthy stress from workout out onto their hearts at least three times a week.
    2: muscle. most women suffer from Osteoporosis not just from lack of calcium but because they never did any weight bearing exercise in their life.
    3: to look d@mn good.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    If you don't exercise, you can end up losing muscle weight as well as fat weight, which will not be good for your metabolism. Also, you would be "squishy" instead of lean and toned.

I second the motion of osteoperosis and heart attacks!
  • The point is... exercise tones and strengthens your muscles, it makes your skin look better over those new defined abs, arms, legs, etc. It gives you more energy, helps to clear your mind and fight stress. If you don't want to eat all those exercise calories... don't, you may just end up losing a little more but it is recommended to eat some of them so your body doesn't slow down in the losing process.

You've lost 60+ already... you've obviously been doing something right! Congratulations!
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    You'd have a calorie deficit even if you didn't exercise. If you're settings are to lose 1 lb per week you'e already at a 500 calorie deficit/day. By eating your exercise calories you are maintaining that deficit, not undoing it. Exercise is key to maintaing the weight loss, as well as your health.
  • Van3ssa_2468
    Van3ssa_2468 Posts: 76 Member
    exercise is good for you in so many ways.
    Also, you don't have to eat all of your exercise calories. I eat about half of mine or none and I lost 3 pounds in 10 days.
  • how did you lose 61 pounds? just diet alone?
  • So I have been at this for a while and found out that I need to eat all of my exercise calories to be able to lose my pound a week. So what's the point of exercise? Isn't the whole point to have the deficit to lose more weight? I'm slightly annoyed. Any input would be great.

Your deficit is already calculated into your base calories.
  • well it looks like you've lost a bunch of weight anyway.

and the point is to have a SMALL deficit to lose weight. but if you're 300-400 over? then your body is going to go into shock mode and start saving up all the fat it can because it thinks the apocalypse is coming! 100 or less is a good deficit. (i say this as i have a 300 something deficit staring me in the face from working out so much today DX) but if you're WAY over? GO AHEAD! indulge a little. you have LITERALLY earned it :drinker:

also. ditto what edorice said.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Perhaps if you made your diary public people can better advise.

On MFP you are given a daily set of calories depending on your activities. If you did nothing but laid all day that set calories without any extra exercise involved is how much your body needs to function everyday. Now if you added extra exercise to it you would need to replenish your body in order to maintain its functions otherwise it goes into "starvation mode". Your body will start to eat itself and you could lose muscle by doing this and slow your metabolism down.

But everyone is different.

You don't have to eat all your exercise calories. Just eat some or most 30-50% and see how that goes. Try eating little portions but often, about 5-6 times a day which also can help.

Also, are you drinking enough water? I can't stress enough how important drinking lots of water a day which really does aid weight loss.
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    You could lose weight by just eating less, of course, but that won't help you build muscle. You'll be stronger and in much better shape if you exercise as part of the journey.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Thanks to everyone! I drink lots and lots of water, ask people at work I pee all the time! I have tried not eating the exercise calories all the % in between and found that i have to eat ALL of them to even lose 1 pound, i don't and i dont lose any. been experimenting for a while now. I exercise here and there but most of my weight loss has been strictly calorie counting. I was up to 80 lost at one point but fell off the wagon for a bit but back on it for good now. I guess you all make valid points about being healthy and gaining muscle so I guess I'll have to add a little exercise to the routine now. Thanks again everyone.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Weight training not only makes you look and feel toned and makes you stronger, but muscle tissue also burns more calories at rest than fat does. What this means is that if you put on a few pounds of muscle, your metabolism will burn more just sitting on your duff than if you hadn't. Think of it as a car with the idle set a little higher - it'll burn more gas sitting at a red light than the car with the idle set lower.

Go have some fun!
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Take if from me, someone "well-seasoned"............ :laugh: :bigsmile:

It's VERY important to exercise for so many reasons, as well stated by others.

You will have less health concerns & issues as you age if you establish good exercise habits now while you're young! I still go on & off my workouts and always feel like CRAP when I fall out ..... physically & mentally. Depression & bad moods can hit hard ....... especially during times of stress. Exercise is the best remedy for those situations.

Stay with it Girl! You'll be glad you did! :love: :flowerforyou:
  • bazuukajoe
    bazuukajoe Posts: 49 Member
    All the "doctors" in this thread are forgetting one thing: It's impossible to gain muscle in a calorie deficit.
This discussion has been closed.