Happy because I lost weight, sad because my knees are hurt.

Options
I was doing great keeping my calories in check, and working out....but now I can't do Cardio. My right knee is working against my success. I have to slow down for a few months. I know I can keep losing weight, but I don't want to get soggy in some areas. What should I do l?

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Chair exercises. http://www.squidoo.com/chair-exercise.. If you have access to a pool water aerobics, maybe it's low impact not zero. Also if you have a swivel chair you can sit in that chill and watch tv and swivel using just one leg to go back and forth. I dunno if I call it exercise but it's good for a slow burn when you aren't really doing anything else, so better than nothing.
  • patscottberteotti
    Options
    I would suggest that you try water aerobics, they are not hard on the joints and the benefit is great. There is always a way and I hope you will try it and succeed. Blessings.:flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    I was doing great keeping my calories in check, and working out....but now I can't do Cardio. My right knee is working against my success. I have to slow down for a few months. I know I can keep losing weight, but I don't want to get soggy in some areas. What should I do l?
    Well the first priority would be to find out what's causing your knee pain. You can still do cardio without having to "bang" your knees. Boxing is one great way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bonnieyode
    bonnieyode Posts: 21
    Options
    Chair exercises. http://www.squidoo.com/chair-exercise.. If you have access to a pool water aerobics, maybe it's low impact not zero. Also if you have a swivel chair you can sit in that chill and watch tv and swivel using just one leg to go back and forth. I dunno if I call it exercise but it's good for a slow burn when you aren't really doing anything else, so better than nothing.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I can walk but very slowly.
  • bonnieyode
    Options
    I would suggest that you try water aerobics, they are not hard on the joints and the benefit is great. There is always a way and I hope you will try it and succeed. Blessings.:flowerforyou:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I need to find a place for water aerobics. I just don't want to join a gym. I did in the past and it worked, but it was pricey. :happy:
  • bonnieyode
    Options
    Well the first priority would be to find out what's causing your knee pain. You can still do cardio without having to "bang" your knees. Boxing is one great way.

IDEA Fitness member
    Thank you for the advice. I think is my meniscus. I have an appointment Tuesday with my doctor.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    all i can say is try to find the best help you can before it goes chronic. VERY GENTLE movement within limits of pain is ok, forget pushing it with more than that.

will repeat: the best help you can. get recommendations. find out where the athletes get taken care of. there is great variety of quality of care out there. muscle and ligament injuries can confound even experts. and we don't really know what we need to look for, as patients. you don't want to become an expert in this. just get the best people you can (repeat repeat) on it, and don't push it.
  • bonnieyode
    Options
    all i can say is try to find the best help you can before it goes chronic. VERY GENTLE movement within limits of pain is ok, forget pushing it with more than that.

will repeat: the best help you can. get recommendations. find out where the athletes get taken care of. there is great variety of quality of care out there. muscle and ligament injuries can confound even experts. and we don't really know what we need to look for, as patients. you don't want to become an expert in this. just get the best people you can (repeat repeat) on it, and don't push it.
    Thanks. I want to get over this knee issue. I love playing soccer, and now I just sit and watch.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    but I don't want to get soggy in some areas. What should I do l?
    Avoid swamps.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I want to get over this knee issue. I love playing soccer, and now I just sit and watch.

It's frustrating, I know! But the last thing you want is for that situation to be permanent. Taking time to heal will get you there faster :)
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,841 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Thank you for the advice. I think is my meniscus. I have an appointment Tuesday with my doctor.

Be sure to ask
    --if the damage done to the knee can be reversed with just rest or proper exercises,
    --what exercise/sports to avoid further injury,
    --and if physical therapy would help restore your full use of it again.

Good luck!
  • polyseme
    polyseme Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No cardio? I recommend exercises focusing on the bits that still work perfectly: I particularly enjoy drumming (for far too many hours at a time), and walking with the crutches I no longer need. A good workout, and it all leaves my malfunctioning knee unstressed for when I want to work on it - and surrounding areas - individually.

Also, yes, avoid large bodies of water.