Weight Loss and Hypertension What is your Experience?

Options
2»

Replies

• LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    I also vote for taking the pills as a preventative measure. You may be able to reduce your BP with lifestyle changes and come off the meds but also keep in mind that for some people, it will be purely genetic. Either way, the longer your BP is high, you will be damaging your arteries and heart and putting yourself at unnecessary risk.

Incidentally, I remember doing a uni assignment on the effect of lifestyle interventions on blood pressure and reading that exercise could potentially lower it by up to 35%, weight loss could lower it by up to 25% and reducing sodium could lower it by up to 5%. Of course, combining all 3 would have the best results.

Good luck :)
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and have been taking meds for high BP for maybe 6-7 years now.Since taking off some weight and getting exercise my BP has gone down into the normal range, and after consulting with the doctor, we will attempt to take me off them in a few more months. Like so many others have said, take the meds, work with your doctor. Perhaps some medications will cause adverse side effects, but there are lots of others. Not controlling BP will almost certainly lead to grief.
  • oskybosky4
    oskybosky4 Posts: 62
    Options
    I too have high blood pressure and take tablets for it. I have lost over 22lb slowly over the last 5 months or so and now do an exercise class once a week - aquamed - I do other exercise such as the walking at home Leslie Sansome and walking outside when I can but as I also have psoriatic arthritis so it depends on how good a day I am having what amount of exercise I do.

However I went for my 3 month bp check up last week and fully expected it to be lower but in fact it was higher so loosing the weight and the increased exercise had made no difference at all.

I am trying cutting down on salt and foods that have high salt content, and drinking more water. The only side affect to the tablets I have noticed is the frequency of which I need to run to the toilet and the urgency too at times when I have drunk either coffee or a diet coke.

I have to admit that lowering my bp was not the primary reason for wanting to loose weight but I had hoped that it would come down as my weight came down. Having said that I still have a long way to go being 18st 2lb when I started so maybe in time I will see health improvements.