Sleeping through the day to reduce overeating?

Options
I do this whenever I dont feel like eating coz I know Im full. Im only at home, hopefully to go to college by next year or maybe not.LOL! but, I just want to know. .DOes this not cause weight gain for anybody who will tend to sleep instead of eating?

Replies

• KuriChan44
    KuriChan44 Posts: 18
    Options
    Good question, I did that today too! It's the weekend though, so I didn't have much to do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Kinda hard to eat and exercise and calorie burn would be much better than sleeping.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have done this in the past (as a teen) but it was mostly likely a sign of depression.

Now I would rather get up move around and live life than sleep it away. Plus moving more gives me more cals to eat. Win-Win all the way around.
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably not good. While getting your full night's sleep is important, more than ten hours and you are just being as sedentary as humanly possible. Move. Eat for fuel, not fun. Enjoy life!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you were to do it regularly I wonder, would lose muscle mass? Thinking along the lines of what an arm looks like after being in a cast for a couple of weeks....
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk instead. If you still feel like eating after, well, you earned some free calories anyway.
  • nee90
    nee90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When you sleep your body burns calories much slower than when you' re doing anything else. Also it' s not healthy to go to sleep with a full stomach... that's why every expert says that you should eat 3 hours before you go to sleep.

If you want to sleep during the day it's ok, but try not to do it after your meal.
    If you just sleep to avoid food I 'd aggree with Bulbadoor:
    Go for a walk instead. If you still feel like eating after, well, you earned some free calories anyway.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It really cuts down your calorie burn -- you may find that you need to eat even less than calculated to lose weight, because even sedentary assumes that you're doing SOME movement.

I second the recommendation to do some exercise instead and then eat the calories.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Awful habit physically and mentally. Sitting up uses more calories, standing up a lot more, walking more still.

If you're full and trying to lose weight get moving and don't eat any more.
  • carpe_librum
    Options
    I have done this in the past (as a teen) but it was mostly likely a sign of depression.

Now I would rather get up move around and live life than sleep it away. Plus moving more gives me more cals to eat. Win-Win all the way around.

I used to do this as well, but I wasn't at all happy. And I *did* lose weight (lots of weight), half of which I've put back on. I wish I had have educated myself about healthy eating than slept :) That said, I couldn't help it. I was depressed. I really do think, though, that it's best to learn about the whole weight loss thing and how to do it healthily than avoid the issue.
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Probably not such a good idea, being up and about uses more calories- try doing something to keep your mind off food.Lying around isn't keeping you toned and is not raising metabolism any eithor.