Motivation for Insanity?

Options
I just started the Insanity workout program on Wednesday, and today was Cardio recovery so it was pretty much just intense yoga which I could get through, but for the other days the exercises are just too insane! It is the most intense workout I have ever done, and I'm looking to tone up my abs. During the exercises I have to stop 1-2 times, and sometimes my muscles can't handle it. Has this happened to anyone? I'm not overweight, and I'm not that out shape. I'm a healthy active women, yet I feel like I'm having extreme difficulties with this. I'm going to stick with the program, just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get through an entire exercise without breaking. Also, I have been using a recovery formula which is just whey protein mixed in with a smoothie, will this help build up muscle? I don't follow the meal plan strictly because I can't, I eat very healthy though and try to limit the amount of junk food I eat mostly sticking to lean meats, fish, and vegetable. Does anyone have any success stories? This would really help me motivate myself. Thanks!

Replies

• yukino3006
    yukino3006 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your body will start to get used to it. Mine is and i'm overweight. But nothing will prepare you for month two. Just take breaks when you need to. Don't completely overdo it.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I'm in good shape as well (I run 10ks regularly and, before getting sent out for work, was running 20-30 miles a week), but insanity regularly beats me down into a puddle of sweat. I take pictures every rest day. I was feeling frustrated at the end of week 1 since I was so sore I could barely move and had seen no results. Then I looked at week 0 pictures next to week 1 pictures and was shocked at the difference. I take my week 2 pictures tomorow, and I'm stoked to see how I've progressed now. Your day to day perception may be that nothing is happening, but objective tests prove otherwise. The fit test helps with this too. It gives you a hard metric you can use to see how your endurance has improved.

I don't use the recovery formula, but I do use protein powder mixed with soy milk and vegan creatine after each workout to help meet protein needs. I'm a strict vegetarian, so I don't follow the diet plan either, but I do try to hit the calorie needs and macro distribution. You might build some muscle on this program, but you won't build much. This is primarily a fat burning exercise regimine. There are enough strength routines to convince your body to burn fat rather than muscle, but since you're only using your own body weight, you can only build muscle to a point. If you're looking to get visible abs, this is a good program for you. If you're looking to bulk up, probably not.
  • spiritedsoul11
    Options
    I actually have started to notice a slight difference, or maybe I'm imagining it. Doesn't matter! I still look a lot better, and even with the soreness I feel accomplished! I did take a picture before the workout and I was going to compare to week one, and I hope to see a difference.
  • Aprill42
    Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I pretty much go into muscle failure a lot during insanity. Lol I just finished week one, but wasn't ever really that sore the next day. Maybe a smidge, but not how I thought which I'd really weird to me. I feel if I'm not dore, I'm not doing something
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It is going to be super tough to get through. I started week 1 last week and after the fit test my body hurt so bad I could not move for two days. So I only did 4 of the 6 days.
    However, this week I was able to do all 6 days, the soreness subsided a bit, although not completely gone. But I am able to work through it. I have more weight to carry, so there are some moves I have to modify in order to do them, and some moves I just cannot do yet, but do them the best I can and stay moving.
    That being said, Insanity truly is INSANE. It is SUPER hard. It does take a lot of determination. I hate cardio...everything about it. But for some reason I LOVE Insanity. It challenges me and pushes me to do things I would have never dreamed of. My endurance is picking up, and I am gaining a lot of flexibility. So for 6 days, that is awesome.
    Keep to it. It will get better. Do not try and keep up with the people on the DVD. DO NOT give up good form for speed. It will help you in the long run. The speed will come later.
    You are doing great!! :flowerforyou:

ETA - Although it is tough and leaves me in a sweaty pile of human being, I cannot wait to push Play everyday. And the feeling of accomplishment for giving it your all leaves you feeling like the most awesome person ever. Walk / or wobble, away like a Boss!!
  • spiritedsoul11
    Options
    That's us exactly how I feel after a workout! Good to know I'm not the only one who feels like I'm dying! Thanks for the tips, I'm on to Pure Cardio and I'm kind if dreading it but I will get through it!
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just take breaks when you need to! I took a ton at first and I had great results from month 1 when I did it. But I ended up hurting my wrists from all the push ups somehow and never did month 2. I'm thinking of restarting it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    If you can't complete it, then you're not in shape for the program. And that's why people do it, to get fitter.

I've had a lot of people do my cardio Kbox class for several weeks, then have them step in to my TKO Kbox class (gloves and bags as well as plyometric and lifting exercises) and they can't get past the first 3 rounds (there's 40 overall). Doesn't mean that they're not in shape, but they aren't in shape for that workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I used to run some when I was in much better shape back in the early 1990s. Then I tried to push it too hard and hurt my knees. A few months back, I tried running again and my knees just would not allow me to do it and my breathing wouldn't sustain it either... so I put it on the shelf. The other day, I had to get on a treadmill that I was not accustomed to and I just on a whim decided I'd try it again... I had a measure of success with it. Today, I actually ran some on the track ... Not a lot but some... I say all that to say this... I had to get in shape to be able to run... I like doing it.. Maybe not the 5-7 miles I used to would do but maybe a half-mile... But it is a start... Soon it will be a mile, then two (since I am more into lifting and since I understand running hurts in the perspective of body fat ratio I doubt I'll do a lot of extended running) .... Start where you are... Build on it. I started out at about 100 lbs on a chest press and now I can chest press 225 on the same machine.. It did not happen overnight.. It happens gradually. Regardless of what it is that we do, we have to start where we are and move gradually forward.. that is why we refer to fitness as a "journey"... Best wishes on your every success. Do what you can do and build on it. Don't look back.