eating Calories from Exercise

Options
brit21187
brit21187 Posts: 32 Member
Just wondering if it will hurt if you don't eat your Calories from Exercise. I always have like 300-500 calories left from my exercise.
I am attempting to drops lbs and build muscle. I have curves and really dont want to loose them and be skinny.. All advice welcome :wink:

Replies

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? I would say if you are, eat them back, some if not all. MFP already builds in a deficit into your calorie allowance for the day, so any extra calories you burn off adds to the deficit. I personally would be very hungry with 500 calories left, and I almost always eat mine back.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    This may be something you need to play around with to find what works for you.

You aren't eating the extra calories - are you hitting your weight loss, muscle building goals?

If yes, keep doing what you are doing.

If no, eat some of all of the extra calories until you start hitting your goals again, then stay where you are for awhile.

This is something that may need adjusting as you move along the path to your goals.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You should eat them back, as the other poster says, MFP already builds in a healthy deficit for you. Building muscle while eating at a deficit isn't very likely - you have to over-eat for your body to actually build new muscle. The best you can do is eat your cals back and resistance train (lift weights) - this will help retain what lean muscle mass you currently have. It's important to retain it because that muscle gives you your lovely shape, and it helps burn calories for you when you're not moving. This boosts your metabolism. Hope this is helpful!
  • brit21187
    brit21187 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thank you all!
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    some days I only end up 30 calories under my goal. Zumba days I frequently have 300-400 left. If I am hungry, I eat.
  • rladd6421
    rladd6421 Posts: 455
    Options
    Listen to your body, if your hungry eat them back, if not then don't.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I usually try to eat some of them back, but not all of them.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, I don't eat back exercise calories. I don't record my exercises on MFP so my calorie budget stays what it is. And i just eat that. Days i exercise and put in seriously hard work, (gotta be honest with yourself), i'll take in extra calories heavy in carbs. But for the most part, i don't eat back my exercise calories. And i'm currently at a caloric deficit and getting lean.

But i agree with the other poster that said you need to experiment and find out what works. Take a few weeks and eat calories back. Then the next few weeks, don't eat calories back. You're recording everything anyway (on MFP), so you'll be able to track and see the effects of doing both.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary from the last few days, you've only gotten a NET of 600 calories most days. I would definitely recommend you eat your exercise calories back.