HELP!!!! Muscle Recovery Ideas

Options
OK, so I have just recently began exercising to help with my weight loss efforts and I am so freakin sore. I have muscles that hurt that I didn't even know existed. Its so bad that I can't even give the next day workout my all b/c of the pain and soreness. Some days I just want to give up but I know that if I do, I will start this stupid yo-yo thing all over again. Anyone have any ideas on what to do to help with the soreness and pain? I have tried stretching before and after work outs and I heard that protein right after helps too but nothing is working. Ideas Anyone?

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    What kinds of workouts are you doing? Running? Lifting?
  • VanessaG02
    VanessaG02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am doing Insanity, Zumba and Stair Climbing.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Protein and keeping warm (hot baths, warm clothes etc.).
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Bathing in Epsom salts helps me x
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel some days I am so soar i cant even get in my workout im lucky if i can walk.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    ^^Those. Also, slow down. If you just started, tone down the intensity and build back up. You'll still be sore, but not unbearably so. :) Also, look in to investing in a heating pad (like...$12 at drug stores). Mine is my best friend...haha!
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would recommend a lot of stretching while your muscles are warm to help prevent the soreness more then what is done during Insanity. Your body is adapting to the workouts therefore sore muscles. Insanity is a tough workout I am going into my last week of it. I would just follow the Insanity schedule and do just that workout. You may be over doing it also. Personally I drink the Results & Recovery formula after every workout and now in the second month during the workout. It's called recovery because it replaces your body with the right ratios of nutrients that your body loses during a workout. It really does make a difference. The first hour post workout is very important because that is the time frame in which your body is in recovery mode. Sure Protein is good for you but it's not the only thing your body needs post workout. Hope this helps. Good luck. :smile:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Protein really helps. Try to get in a minimum of 100 grams, 150 would be even better. Sugar can't fuel a workout for very long.
  • dellis83
    dellis83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1) You want grams of protein as close to your body weight in lbs as possible every day. I've heard steak cited several times as one of the best foods for muscle recovery because of the profile of amino acids it has.

2) If you are interested in supplements, BCAA (Branch chain Amino Acids), as well as L-Glutamine are the ones that help most with recovery. You can take these separately, but you can also fine protein powders that have them added.

3) Self massage tools like foam rollers and lacrosse balls help a ton

4) Stretching is good, but I've found Yoga is even better. :)

Hope this helps!
  • VanessaG02
    Options
    Protein and keeping warm (hot baths, warm clothes etc.).

Great ideas I will try that. As for warm clothes... I live in Florida and it is to hot for warm clothes would a heating pad work?
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options
    I take a protein shake straight after an intense workout, keep moving, stretch and get my hubby to massage it. I am almost always sore the day after my boxing class so I try and get a low impact walk in to keep everything warm. After some intense overhead punches I now know I have triceps and these weird muscles in and around my armpits... whodathunkit!

It does get better though! :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    This will go away when you build some strength and stamina.

Until then, make sure not to overtrain, and warm up properly. Supposedly, specific warm-ups (a lighter weight version of the same exercise you're preparing for) are better than general warm-ups. Stretching doesn't do anything for preventing DOMS.
  • VanessaG02
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the advice and support! I am motivated to get this weight off. 2013 will be my year!!!!!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You are going through the most painful part of training you will ever experience. When you are just starting up an exercise program your body feels a lot of soreness in the initial month and you will frequently feel drained and exhausted. Once you are through that stage you'll feel your runs don't take as much energy or effort as before. Eventually, you'll feel good when you run and will look forwarding to getting out there. But a lot of people don't make it through that beginning stage and will quit. It takes a huge effort to go from the couch to running 2 miles, but relatively little effort other than habit to go from 2 miles to 4 miles, and practically nothing other than extra time to go from 4 miles to 6 miles with intervals.

The same thing happens with respect to resistance training. At first you'll feel like the muscle soreness is almost going to shut you down, but that stage will fade if you're patient. A couple of things helped me: 1) getting back out there and doing the same workout but with lighter weights, 2) ibuprofen, 3) stretching and 4) hot tubs.

If you can make it past the beginning startup stage you'll start to see results that will help keep you going. But right now it is as much a test of heart as it is of body. So, find the place in your soul that keeps you from giving up, even when the rest of you wants to, and listen to that.