Injury + No Insurance = Now What?

Options
Phrick
Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down as far as what the injury is, I think I have a mildly strained left hip flexor. Everything I can find online fits. It doesn't sound like it necessarily needs medical attention, just forced rest but I could be reading that in since we're currently without insurance and will be for the foreseeable future. I noticed the pain ~3 days ago but thought it was just minor muscle pain that would go away, but it hasn't it has gotten progressively - although still mildly - worse. Obviously need to do SOMEthing just not sure what. Definitely don't think it's ER-worthy so... advice?

Oh one other bit of information, I can't take OTC anti-inflamatories due to the fact that I take lithium for another condition; since lithium is already hard on kidneys I've always been advised by my doctors and pharmacists to avoid OTC anti-inflamatories because they're also metabolized by the kidneys and taxing them with clearing both drugs could be too much. So if your suggestion is to take Ibuprofen, thanks but I can't :(

Replies

• kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Put a heat pack on that puppy and rest. Rest is usually the best medicine for a mild sprain. Also try Bengay, IcyHot Patches or Salonpas or something along those lines. Those help my back muscles work out the kinks. :)

Hope this helps! :D Feel better!

PS - I'm REALLY injury prone...and too broke to pay co-pays. So I deal with my own injuries a lot. Haha :)
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Tylenol is not an NSAID and may help. I had bursitis and tendonitis in my hip. Ice applied to the hip for about 20 minutes may also help.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Take off your regular routine. If it has been a couple of days, use heat to warm it up, do some mild stretching and strengthening exercises, then ice to cool down. Unless you have some thing more serious, an injury such as this is often self-treatable, although you have to be willing to stop exercising and do rehab, which can be hard to do.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Look at diet to help. Increase protein to help rebuild muscles and eat some berries. Berries are in season and are anti-inflammatory.

You need to probably take 2 weeks minimum off for your body to repair, then start back into your routine lightly. If it still hurts then take more time off. Find a topical such as BenGay or Tiger Balm to try and ease the pain. I like Aspercreme but it does have an nsaid in it. Aspercreme Heat doesn't and I find works pretty good. I also like the foam top applicator on it, keeping the nasty off your hands. Never underestimate the power of a good heating pad either. Also, you may be curious to try youtube for some rehab exercises but do so with caution as you are self diagnosing your injury.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My plan for now is the obvious "take it easy" to start with as well as heat since I'm pretty sure I remember when it happened and it's been over a week so past the most acute stage. Following that I'll see my chiropractor who also does sports therapy and get her take on it (can afford that bc she's much less expensive than a full-on MD) and possibly work something out with the massage therapist in the same office for some massage treatments. Sycoholic I have looked at YouTube a bit this morning, most of the stuff looks pretty safe but before I do anything toward rehab, like I said I'm going to run it past the good chiro first. I appreciate all your answers and help!