I didnt think this site would help me but....

Options
Since I started a little less than a month ago, I've officially lost ten pounds today! I'm so excited about this and it is giving the drive to continue doing what I'm doing to reach my goal and to reach out more to the MFP community. I usually have a hard time sticking to things but the site/app helps keep me honest. Yesterday, a friend treated me to five guys and at first I didn't want to log it. Then, I resolved to log it (I mean, really, no one was going to shoot me if I went over my daily caloric goal) but I choose a meal that I didn't feel guilty for consuming. I got a Little Cheeseburger- BUNLESS, which seriously cut down on the calories and it tasted just as good (got all fresh, no grilled, toppings). We shared a Little Fries and I ate only half my portion so that helped as well. I was so proud of myself- in the past, I always went for the regular cheeseburger (the one with two patties) and me and my bread-junkie self would not even contemplate the fact that I could or would ever ask for no bun. *happy dancing* I am so glad this site exists!

A bit about me: I'm 24, female, living in VA. I've always been a little overweight- I'm 4"11 and that makes my healthy weight 93-124lbs, which is ridiculous for my body. I've always felt my best at 130. Since I started working at a daycare with toddlers, I've really packed on the pounds- between coworkers picking up lunch and always snacking with the children who basically only eat and poop all day, i was up to 161 before I noticed something was wrong. For a while, I only got up right before I had to go in and was not walking my dogs at all. For the past month, everyday I have resolved to wake up between 5-6am and be in bed 9-10pm. This extra time has really helped and it hard to realize how much time I was wasting lying in bed flipping through Netflix. I think holding myself accountable is what's helping me the most and I plan on continuing this practice even after I reach my goal. Best of luck to everyone :)

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

Congratulations on getting rid of the 10 pounds. You should be proud of yourself. I am glad to see that you are logging everything you are eating. I believe this is key for success with MFP tool.

what it worked for me

1) Log everything. Measure your food. Use kitchen scale, measuring cups and measuring spoons. I was shocked to find out my eyeballing portion was way off.
    2) Invest in a good Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) to measure your activity burned calories. HRM with chest strap works better. I use mine for all physical activity , including gardening.
    3) I will quote Michael Pollan: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Good luck in your journey
  • librarypage
    Options
    wow, thanks for the positive post and congrats on your commitment to a healthier lifestyle. Way to go!!! :flowerforyou:
  • skymel14
    skymel14 Posts: 30
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • changingmylife85
    Options
    I've been here for nearly a month as well. I've used it in the past and I LOVE IT!! you find really amazing supportive people. We're all set on the same goal. Creating a better person, inside and out. When you're healthier, you're happier :) Feel free to add me :)
  • LouiseOverbeck
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    great post, and a huge well done for your commitment, glad you are getting the results that it deserves :)
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Terrific job. Thanks for the post, really uplifting.
  • katemcon
    katemcon Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, it has given me extra incentive.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Yep MFP works if you follow its principles. I have and lost 51 lbs in five months, and more importantly, changed the way I think about food, so I am very optimistic for the long term! Well done on getting rid of your first 10 lbs, it's a nice feeling :bigsmile:
  • CarleyJo89
    CarleyJo89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Brilliant story! Congrats on losing 10lbs x
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Well done for losing 10lbs and sharing your story x
  • lilbrighteyes
    lilbrighteyes Posts: 9 Member
    Options

2) Invest in a good Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) to measure your activity burned calories.

I did! and I helped so much. It calculates calories, heart rate, steps, miles walked. I read somewhere that it's best to do at least 10,000 steps a day and that's what lead me to getting one.

• dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! You are creating life-long healthy life-style habits at a young age! Keep up the great work!!!!!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Great job and the weight loss. Its a bear trying to get it off but with consistency, it will come off. And dont sweat the Five Guys. I would have ate the regular burger bun and all with a regular fry too. I love their burgers. But it would have fit in my calories or I would have exercised to make sure it fit.

Keep it up and you will reach your goals.

And thanks for the friend request. I love friends!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Congrats !!!!! Your doing great!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!!:)
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Great post! I have had a similar experience -- like with most things, I think you get out of this site what you put into it. Being honest and accurate with logging leads to awareness, which for me was the most valuable thing and helped me to make positive changes and stick with them. Great job!