1 "free" day

Options
Hi all

I have been toying with the idea of having 1 day a week where i am not bound by logging every calorie and wondering what people's thoughts are?

Now, I am not talking about indulging in a large pizza and bottle of wine to myself on a weekly basis, just on the day that I do my long, 90 minute run, having a day where I eat what I fancy? For example, today, I had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on toast, a footlong turkey ham sub with crisps (chips for those in the US) and tonight, I will be having a spanish chicken & chorizo dish with boiled potatoes. I just like the idea of having 1 day a week where I can not panic about seeing a red number

Would be good to hear thoughts!

Thanks

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I work out as hard as I can on Sunday, then I go home, weigh in for the week, and usually I pig out the rest of the day...ANYTHING I want. I really can't do this as much as I used to because I've lost the bulk of the fat I used to carry...I need to reduce this from a cheat day down to a cheat meal, but I guess I'm satisfied with the way my body looks. Eventually I'll have to restrict my diet to bust through my "plateau"...but in the mean time, DO IT UP, enjoy your cheat day. This will help you focus during the week, and it will help you from letting the cravings do you in.
  • evolutionbyariana
    evolutionbyariana Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey! I think that allowing yourself treats without obsessing over a number is really important! I know lots of people that incorporate free days or one free meal into their week. Many advise against having a whole free day, but I think that as long as you're not going on a crazy gorge-fest all day it's not going to hurt you!
  • kMcMahan2010
    Options
    I think it's fine. I'm doing it today actually (although I'm still putting on MFP just because it's such a habit). I was under my calories for most of the days this week and because of this I have 3100 calories before I exceed my weekly goal, so for breakfast I had pancakes, hash-browns and eggs. Probably won't eat lunch because I'm not that hungry, but this evening we are probably either going to my parents house for dinner for father's day, or taking my dad out to dinner, and then we will probably have cake and ice cream.

Enjoy your day and don't stress over it!
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have them, but I still try to log. The allowance I give myself is the calories in my deficit. I personally do not want to exceed that.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I have some days where I don't log but still try to keep within the calorie goals using portion control. I think I've been doing this so long that I have a rough idea of the calories in everything now! I also want to feel that I can cope without logging.

I also have the occasional meal/day where I let myself go over, but still track. Why track? Because it's reassuring to me, that I never seem to go very much over. If left to eat to taste and appetite, I'll tend to eat around my TDEE or just above. I know that won't mess up my weight loss.

And then I have the occasional meal/day where I don't track, log or try to stay within my calories. I don't overdo it, but just relax. It's usually when I have a meal out with my boyfriend!

I don't have a tendency to binge or comfort eat so it works well for me to relax the rules a bit sometimes.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    In reality, there's going to be a day when you've reached your goal weight and you're going to stop logging everything. You'll weigh weekly to make sure you're not overindulging.. but otherwise you'll have 'finished your training' as it were. Really, I think we're all here to LEARN how to live a healthy life. Once we've learned it the program can be done and we leave with the knowledge of calories in/out, & self-control.

So yes, I believe a day of not logging is a good idea. Consider it part of the training.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Don't do it - Log it all and feel good about it. IF/when you hit a plateau you will want to know why...
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    In reality, there's going to be a day when you've reached your goal weight and you're going to stop logging everything.

I am not so sure I will stop. "Ballparking" calories has failed me. I suspect I will continue to log more often than not even at my goal weight.
  • bbygirlbelle
    bbygirlbelle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually give myself one day a month, to take a break, eat what I want within reason and not log my intake. I log everything that I consume the rest of the month and plan to continue this for the rest of my life. For me having accountability is key to long term success and maintenance.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. Seems to me the general idea is even if I want a day as described, to log and just get on with the next day - just not worry too much if it's in the red - although that will be the red for weight loss as opposed to maintenance
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just logged the day - convinced it would go over and I am actually left with 17 calories!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I never, ever have a free day. All of it gets logged. This is because, as time has gone by, I have learned to really think about if I really want a food knowing it will put me over my goals. To be honest, there is no reason to go over your goals. Just move a bit more if you want extra food or a treat. The 80/20 rule is about make healthy decisions (like eating clean) 80% of the time, not blowing your calories 20% of the time.