UK: Local free 5K events

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
Just found out about a charity called Parkruns - they hold 5k training races every Saturday at local parks for free. They have volunteers who marshal the events and take place every week. I've just found one in a park about 3 miles away and over 200 people take part every week.

The website - http://www.parkrun.org.uk/ and it is all free. You just have to register and you can run at any event.

Replies

• uk_james
    uk_james Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just saw that too yesterday, there's one about 2 miles from me, might give it a go next week, looked at results for the 120 runners yesterday, ranged from about 16 mins (wow!) to 48 mins - my current outdoor pace would bring me in at about 35 mins I think.

It only started locally near me in mid April, there's a really good write up at http://www.parkrun.org.uk/maidstone/news/author/maidstoneoffice/ - just read this and sounds good.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Its useful looking at other's time - I walk/run 5k in under 50 so there are people slower than me. I'm going to have a go in a couple of weeks as I'l almost finished my 5k training.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 now enjoyed them both, gives me a regular target each week, I'm doing around 28 mins (would have been 37 mins in January)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Wow that is a major drop in time.
  • abideedum
    abideedum Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So gutted there isnt one in my area :/
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Parkrun.ie for the same gig in Ireland. There is 1 in Cork and 3 in Dublin, Malahide/Lucan/Marley.

I've signed up but with my current training schedule haven't made it yet. Can't wait, meant to be a great buzz.
  • uk_james
    uk_james Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Have done my 2nd Parkrun today, my new weekly "thing", a great start to the weekend. Think I shaved a bit of time off last week's 5k, waiting for official confirmation later today!
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Was wondering what the "Park Run" was, had seen a number of people on site mention it. Definitely (that I know of) don't have it here in Manitoba. Too bad , it sounds like a good thing to look forward to on the weekend.
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I can walk 5km in about 52min at the moment, this is just thing I need to start looking towards C25K!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I was suppose to do my first this morning but have a stomach bus. I can walk/run 5k in about 42 mins.
  • caitlinjm74
    caitlinjm74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What a cool idea! I was just thinking of switching my running route to a park a bit further away from where I live and this site has shown me that there's a Park Run in that very place. Now I just have to try and get there for half 9 in the morning ready to run a 5k :)
  • Slatzuk
    Slatzuk Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Did my 12th ParkRun in a row this morning. Two minutes slower than my pb, this felt like a failure.
    Then I remembered I'd just done my 12th ParkRun in a row. That is real success.

Next week will be better. 1st ParkRun 39mins, pb 32 mins.

It has taken me 30 years to get this out of shape. Getting back into shape is a long term project.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Ive never seen this before! Im so going to do that!!
  • Slatzuk
    Slatzuk Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Our local run today had a fancy dress theme as one of the regulars was starting here Hen Party with a 5k run.

I was lapped by one "bridesmaid", but managed to keep ahead of the main bridal party.

fbwdhv.jpg
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Our local run today had a fancy dress theme as one of the regulars was starting here Hen Party with a 5k run.

I was lapped by one "bridesmaid", but managed to keep ahead of the main bridal party.

fbwdhv.jpg

Wow now that is a park run with a difference.

Second week now with a time of 40:30. Red hot in the park so had to do lots of walking but will get there.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Parkruns are great, mine is by a lake and its lush! Love seeing my times fall, 27:22 for my second one! I am chasing 25 mins :)