Cheat day good or bad?

Options
I u derstand the body needs change in order to see results. I have been eating 1200 cal day all week except for Fri. This is my cheat day where I consume around 1600 cal to rev up my metabolism. Has anyone else used the cheat day method? I have lost about 1 pound per week and have 7 more to go at this point. Do not want to mess things up!!

Replies

• changejen2013
    Options
    Cheat DAY = bad idea
    I prefer a cheat MEAL. At that meal I can eat whatever I want but the rest of my day needs to be healthy and well proportioned.
    If I give myself a day, I've noticed that the next few days I don't work out or eat right. I have a problem with binge eating and so I've found this works terrific for me. That way I feel the pleasure of whatever I want without guilt.
  • Kathley
    Kathley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If it works and you are healthy doing that - don't fix it - I do the same thing but have a lot to lose so I only do that maybe once every few months. I usually trick out what exercise I am doing by the week.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    First it's all individual; people need to do what works for them. With that said, 1600 is still more than likely eating at a cut for you and hardly would be consider a cheat.
  • dixieracer27
    dixieracer27 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have cheat days but we're all different! I don't want to undo all the hard work I've done all week by eating what I want in one day. If I want something I'll eat it, then I go and workout! It makes me think twice about eating junk. I'm sure this will be brought up, but 1200 calories a day is very low, maybe you should adjust to a higher number so you don't feel bad eating. If you're exercising you definitely need to be eating more. You need to fuel your body.
  • davidparker12
    Options
    I don't think you understand the term 'cheat day' or commonly known as 'cheat meal' 1600 calories is nothing, not even a cheat, your still in a calorie deficit eating 1600.. you won't get much of a 'boost/kick' in that metabolism from that. if you want to help out the metabolism skip the cheat day idea (A cheat day is when you go over your calorie maintenance by anywhere from 500-3000 calories on your cravings) what you want to do is have a 'refeed' simply keep your fat's the same, lower the protein and increase the calories from 1200 all the way to your maintenance from carbohydrates, this will spike your leptin and increase thyroid hormones and stop the metabolism from adapting to 1200 calories as it's maintenance. This will increase your performance the next day at the gym and benefit you more for losing weight long term.
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I used to be ultra good with diet and exercise and then she I stepped on the scales and there was not much change it would make me feel deflated after putting my all in every day. I started weighing myself Saturday morning and then using the rest of the day to eat whatever I wanted and found that I would lose more. Some people might find it easier to have a treat day then get back on the diet but others might find that nice they have had a bit f what they fancy, they get hooked back on it
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I never eat exactly the same amount each day and don't need to do any kind of sophisticated calorie confusion to get results if I create a consistent deficit throughout the week. I usually just try to stick to my general calorie maximum.

I think that cheat days would be a bad idea for me. My ordinary pattern, even if if not exactly what I'd eat were calories not a factor, should not be so bad I feel I have to "cheat" once a week. I also am concerned about subconsciously thinking that it's OK to go over, and on a designated cheat day I'm sure I would end up going well over even my cheat day limit, especially if I drank alcohol. That's why I don't even want to open the door.

Of course I have days when I end up eating much more than is desirable and I try not to beat myself up too much over them. But that's different from actively planning them. I also allow myself to eat anything I want on my birthday, at major family events and holidays.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are very popular but the idea doesn't suit me. This isn't a test.
  • jenniferwoodweeg
    jenniferwoodweeg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well, I hear varying opinions and what works for some does not for others. As a new perqson to MFP and working-out I appreciate all of the input at any rate.
  • Y05H1
    Y05H1 Posts: 9
    Options
    Having a cheat day is fine. I was 270 last december and am 211 now, and I've always had a cheat day. 1 day isn't going to harm you, your body can only process so much. Its not like you can gain lb's of fat within a 24 hour period.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Well, I hear varying opinions and what works for some does not for others. As a new perqson to MFP and working-out I appreciate all of the input at any rate.

Exactly. Cheat days work for me and have for almost 2 yrs. I have found that certain foods like pizza, certain treats etc do not work in moderation for me. I am a stress eater and simply can't have things in my house for that reason. So yes once a week we have pizza or whatever meal we want that is not "healthy" per say and I eat over my TDEE. I cycle my calories to begin with so it works for me. Those who don't understand it, think their way is the only way or mock it have no understanding of how something's done unless its their way and that's the only way. I think I'm doing ok if I can get down to 13% bodyfat and my husband getting down to 7% by doing what works for us. For others they can't and do well having something small everyday or cutting things completely out, that works for them and there's nothing wrong with it. End point, there's no right or wrong answer here. Try it and see how you do.
  • ShaunaMcMac
    ShaunaMcMac Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a cheat day, but I think it's good to have a day in the week where you go over your cal by a few hundred. I had two significant drops after a day of increased cal intake followed by two days of normal cal restriction (for me ~ 1400).

That's been my experience.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I dont do cheat day, someday I just allow myself to eat more than others. I would rather occasionally allow myself to possibly lose control if I'm having a free/ cheat day.

That again I think it about your eating habits. I'm known for binging and during my stressful times I turn to that and so I cant allow myself a free/ cheat day. If that not a problem for you than reigning it to one day may work very well. :)
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Exactly. Cheat days work for me and have for almost 2 yrs. I have found that certain foods like pizza, certain treats etc do not work in moderation for me. I am a stress eater and simply can't have things in my house for that reason. So yes once a week we have pizza or whatever meal we want that is not "healthy" per say and I eat over my TDEE. I cycle my calories to begin with so it works for me. Those who don't understand it, think their way is the only way or mock it have no understanding of how something's done unless its their way and that's the only way. I think I'm doing ok if I can get down to 13% bodyfat and my husband getting down to 7% by doing what works for us. For others they can't and do well having something small everyday or cutting things completely out, that works for them and there's nothing wrong with it. End point, there's no right or wrong answer here. Try it and see how you do.

Exactly. There are so many ways to hit your goals. What works for one person may not for the other. I have cheat meals, cheat days, whatever fits my schedule really. I've maintained 6-7% body fat for over a year. If cheat days work for you and you are still hitting your goals, continue to do so. Some need that mental release, some can't handle the pressure and choose not to have a cheat day/meal. Its personal preference, so do what works for you.