VEGETARIANS/VEGANS - Where do your protein?

Hello there!

I must admit I'm getting rather frustrated lately with my protein intake. Despite protein powder I rarely meet my daily protein goal. It is so difficult to find something to eat that is high in protein but low in carbs/fat. Today I was at the supermarket and they had this great deal on low-fat quark so we took some of that. Only later when I was trying to find cheese with microbiological rennet, did it occur to me to check the quark. As it turned out, it also contains normal rennet. So I went home frustrated and without cheese or quark. The only thing I got left is icelandic yogurt (Skyr), which they did not have in that supermarket. I would very much appreciate some tips where you get your protein from and how you deal with rennet and gelatine being "hidden" everywhere?

Replies

• TonyRi
    TonyRi Posts: 65
    Handful of nuts? :D
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Lentils and black beans are high in protein, fiber and potassium.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Dairy, eggs, beans, lentils, quinoa & other whole grains, protein powders, bread, cereal, nuts, etc.

I'm not sure where you live but the US requires ingredients lists on just about everything, so I just read EVERYTHING before I buy. I find that dairy is "hidden" in a lot more things than gelatin. If you're concerned about rennet, just don't eat anything with cheese you're not sure of.
  • kgeldreich
    kgeldreich Posts: 73
    Seitan and tempeh might be good options. Lentils have low net carbs.
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    I am a vegetarian and also struggle with my protein intake. A couple of weeks ago I started having protein bars and put on 3 lbs in a week and having the protein bars were the only thing I changed so no more protein bars.

I try and eat cottage cheese most days and have almonds as a snack. x
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    If you open your food diary, people will be able to give you more tailored advice.

How low carb/fat do you need to go - is it a medical necessity, or just a preference? Tofu, seitan, tempeh, textured vegetable protein (makes a delicious replacement for oatmeal!), veggie burgers (I like Boca brand - high protein, low carbs!) and plant-based protein powders are my staples. I supplement those with protein from mushrooms and broccoli - it adds up.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    I get PLENTY of protein as a vegetarian. If on a certain day I don't feel I've had enough, I'll have RAW Meal (a meal replacement powder that is vegan).

Usually I eat nuts, seeds, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and eggs. I will have some protein source with every meal.
  • optimisticShark
    optimisticShark Posts: 136 Member
    Cottage Cheese
    Nuts
    Greek Yogurt
    Lentils
    Sprouts
    Low/Non fat milk
    Beans
    Eggs (if you eat)
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Vegetarian diets are easy. Dairy, eggs, nuts, tons to pick from.
    Vegan is harder, but it is still possible. IF you can do soy.
  • I'm vegan and don't usually have trouble meeting my recommended protein level. Yesterday I went way over, mainly because I had one cup of Mujadara (lentils and rice). Eat lots of legumes, whole grains, and tofu, and if you want add some tempeh and seitan. You'll be fine. If you're eating eggs and dairy, then you have other options of course. It can be instructive to look at other people's diaries as well. Feel free to add me and look at mine (not that it's perfect, but some days I do really well!).
  • I am a vegetarian and also struggle with my protein intake. A couple of weeks ago I started having protein bars and put on 3 lbs in a week and having the protein bars were the only thing I changed so no more protein bars.

You put on pounds because protein bars are ALWAYS high in calories. It wasn't the protein that did you in.
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    I am a vegetarian and also struggle with my protein intake. A couple of weeks ago I started having protein bars and put on 3 lbs in a week and having the protein bars were the only thing I changed so no more protein bars.

You put on pounds because protein bars are ALWAYS high in calories. It wasn't the protein that did you in.

But my calories were still under 1400 on the days I had protein bars. I thought it must be the bars as I have since lost the extra weight during the last week without having the bars. x
  • VicPuff
    VicPuff Posts: 18 Member
    Hello there!

I must admit I'm getting rather frustrated lately with my protein intake. Despite protein powder I rarely meet my daily protein goal. It is so difficult to find something to eat that is high in protein but low in carbs/fat. Today I was at the supermarket and they had this great deal on low-fat quark so we took some of that. Only later when I was trying to find cheese with microbiological rennet, did it occur to me to check the quark. As it turned out, it also contains normal rennet. So I went home frustrated and without cheese or quark. The only thing I got left is icelandic yogurt (Skyr), which they did not have in that supermarket. I would very much appreciate some tips where you get your protein from and how you deal with rennet and gelatine being "hidden" everywhere?

I use Vega Protein powder.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    I'm watching this topic as I'm considering transitioning back to lacto-vegetarian.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    You can supplement protein with shakes. I like the gnc soy ones, they are low carb, 25g protein, only 130 calories.
  • Dixie2111
    Dixie2111 Posts: 30 Member
    avocados are a good source too! I eat fish and eggs as well as Philadelphia light which shows locust bean gum and carrageenan, which is derived from seaweed I believe and is used in place of rennet, in its list of ingredients, although it is cows milk I'm afraid. I also eat some sheeps cheese, but that wouldn't be an option for a vegan diet, alas. (ignore my ticker by the way, its incorrect I have lost 6 pounds to date (four weeks in) and 28 pounds to go and I don't know how to reset it to pounds lost not pounds to go!)
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Beans of all kinds, tofu, tempeh, seitan, edamame (soybeans), TVP are all excellent vegan sources. I cook quinoa about once a week, too, as that's a nutritionally complete protein. I snack on whole raw almonds, and they provide some protein too.

I'm lucky in that most Canadian cheeses are made with microbial rennet, so I'm covered there. I have two friends who keep chickens, so I get my eggs from them :)

I do use protein powder as I love smoothies, but it's by choice not necessity.
  • Rena42
    Rena42 Posts: 66 Member
    I'm vegan and I'm often over on protein. You're welcome to look at my diary to see where I get it. (Not that I believe you need as much protein as they say in the first place)
  • MizzEngelChen
    MizzEngelChen Posts: 71 Member
    Thank you all for the input!
    I will try to include more beans, peas, lentils, and mushrooms in my diet.
    What I have seen a lot when looking at the diaries is the use of soy. I am not allergic to soy but I try to avoid it since I'm afraid it's messing with my hormones (I had some issues with that so I'm avoiding sources of trouble just to be sure). A little tofu every know and then is fine but I don't want to make soy products a part of my normal diet.
    I like to snack on nuts, too, but they are very high in fat. Sure, it's the good kind but then I'm faster over my limit than I reach my protein goal.
    Once a day I use some protein powder (after workout) but I don't want to increase that since 1. I don't like the taste (hemp - ugh) 2. I'd rather get my nutrition from real food 3. my stomach is never too happy when I take too much of it at once (taking one scoop).
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Have a look at my diary.

Meat substitutes such as Quorn but tofu and soy will have the same benefits. Dairy, lentils, beans...You can get natural ingredient bars with added protein. I just bought a Trek bar which is vegetarian* and has 12g of protein. Chia seeds have a decent amount too.

Edit: Vegan even!