Still Eating

boomstick13s
boomstick13s Posts: 70
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I am amazed and inspired by all the people who have joined this community and are looking to change their lives for the best. However, reading the posts about meals and snacking are a little discouraging to me. I have no plans to change what I am eating (unless I'm adding new things) I just want to cut back the amount I am eating. Portion control is my biggest issue. So when I'm cooking for my family I'm not giving them foods tailored to my weight loss and I'm not cooking them regular food while making something else for myself. Is there anyone else out there still eating the same stuff, just less of it?

Replies

• bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    That might work for a bit or for someone really overweight, but with only 20 pounds to lose you might need to switch to heathly foods, if your not already eating them.
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    That's the way I started - and it didn't work well. I was eating crap, less of crap is still crap so I didn't lose much. I didn't really start losing until I started actually paying attention to what I was eating (not just how much), and changed it up to eat much less processed foods and more whole and organic foods. After that change, then portion control worked better.

If you are truly eating good foods, but just too much, then this will work for you - but take a good look at your diet and see if that really is the case. If not, you'll want to change the foods you eat not only for your own weight loss, but for your family's overall health.
  • Yes I am, I also just try to make a better choice more often. It is helping so much I wonder why I didn't do it sooner!!
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    That's what I'm doing! I mean, I'm still eating snacks, just not every day. and I'll still eat pasta, just not a whole bag of tortellini by myself. I think lasting weight loss relies more on changing how you eat than what you eat, unless you're a very unhealthy eater to begin with
  • I'm definitely the one in the family that eats the least healthy foods. My kids love vegetables (I have no idea where they got that!) and are extremely active. I'm not as concerned with losing the 20lbs as I am with feeling like I can keep up with them without feeling cruddy the rest of the day.
  • I don't know how accurate your profile info is...but if you're drinking a whole lot of Mountain Dew, then there's one big thing you could cut out there. Soda is full of empty calories. I also wouldn't differentiate too much from healthy food and regular food? Adding fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet as well as your family's is always a good idea! Keep up the good work! I need help with my portion control as well!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Here is an inspirational blog of a 505 pound man who lost weight just by counting calories and nothing was off limits. But to my relief, the closer he got to his goal the healthier his diet got.
    Previous poster got it right. If you only have 20 to lose you are going to have to eat healthy, but aren't those the goals you have for your family also?
    http://losingweighteveryday.blogspot.com/2008/10/day-1-calorie-wars.html
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    I'm definitely the one in the family that eats the least healthy foods. My kids love vegetables (I have no idea where they got that!) and are extremely active. I'm not as concerned with losing the 20lbs as I am with feeling like I can keep up with them without feeling cruddy the rest of the day.

That being said you probably would benefit from better food choices. Good food=great energy! Crappy food=sluggish and an eventual crash! Good luck to you!!!!!!
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    i still eat a lot of the same things that i have always eaten (including fruits and veggies), but in smaller portions and i make sure to workout hard when i know that i ate/will be eating something that is not so good for me :) i know that i will indulge overtime if i entirely deny myself the things i love...that being said, i know that my progress has been much slower than if i completely cut out my love for candy, dessert, and other munchies...it is a balancing act and it is important to be realistic about your goals and progress :)
  • Something else you will find that many people, including myself, have learned. When you eat the same high carb, high sugar foods but less ( a previous poster said "less crap") you'll find you get hungry faster and more often. Empty calories, simple carbs and refined sugars, cause physiological processes that cause your body to burn that energy faster. So you run out sooner and find yourself needing a "pick me up."

Fruits and veggies have complex carbs and fibers that cause them to breakdown slower in the body providing more energy longer.

Someone else pointed out that this lifestyle change is not just for you but for your family. Many researchers and nutritionists believe childhood issues such as ADD, ADHD and symptoms that mimic autism are actually caused by poor nutrition.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    I'm still eating snacks, just not every day. and I'll still eat pasta, just not a whole bag of tortellini by myself. I think lasting weight loss relies more on changing how you eat than what you eat, unless you're a very unhealthy eater to begin with

This exactly! I think it's counterproductive to go insane and eat nothing but salads with the goal of becoming healthier for life, because it's not sustainable... maybe it'll help with weight loss, but not with being healthy for an extended time frame. That being said, just because you eat ___ calories doesn't mean you'll lose weight or feel better (I've tried it myself, and I always feel worse eating fewer calories of junk than more calories of good stuff). I don't want to assume that you're eating fast food or chugging sugary drinks, but if you are, straight portion control won't be that helpful. *But*, I applaud you for realizing that you need to be realistic about how you eat. :)
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    For the most part, I don't deny myself anything. But I have simply started preparing healthier meals in general for my family to help them out and to set a good example for my kids. Also I've printed out charts on portion control and when the kids get a candy, they get one serving rather than the whole bar or box to help them realize what they are eating and why.
  • I don't think my kids could finish an entire candy bar each. They always take a couple bites then stick it in the fridge. A candy bar can last my 7 year old a week!
This discussion has been closed.