New Type II Diabetic

Options
Hi everyone,
I am a new type ii diabetic and am having such a hard time finding foods low in carbs and sugar. I have spent a lot of time searching the internet for recipe ideas. I eat a lot of fish, no red meat, chicken, or pork. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have to offer. I also have high blood pressure so I need to keep my sodium intake between 1200 - 1500mg per day.
Thank you!! :heart:

Replies

• JulesAussies
    Options
    Hi Lynne,

I'm in the same boat as you. Just diagnosed Type 2 diabetes this past Friday. I'm searching everywhere online, mostly from diabetic type sites for safe, good foods. I've been busy all weekend and haven't really had time for any of this to sink in yet, much less plan my meals while I'm out. When in doubt I've just been grabbing salads with chicken, no croutons or toppings, low fat/carb dressings. I need a plan and to go shopping,
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    A really good tool, is to limit your total carbs daily. I try to never go over 100 carbs and prefer to be in the 80 range.

There are so many things you can eat! Vegies, green peppers, red pepper, cucumber, lettuce, spinach, lean skinless chicken, fish, whole grains like quinoa and brown rice, that are complex and don't give you sugar spikes and dumps!

I have lost 39 pounds and have almost gotten off my diabetic medications! I had a minor setback due to having to take prednisone this week. All of this is from healthy eating, low carb.

I promise it gets easier!

Best way to keep your blood glucose as level as possible, is to eat every two to three hours, balanced protein and carbs!
  • Archer_ev
    Archer_ev Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello Lynne,

I am a Type II diabetic too. I have been on insulin for several years as well as Metformin. I also am on blood pressure and cholesterol meds. I have set up six different meals on my fitness pal app for the Kindle Fire HD. I take it everywhere and I eat every few hours. I am 6'5" and used to take in a lot of calories. I am now on 1930 calories per day and I have found that by eating snacks of 100 to 200 calories as well as light meals, My blood sugar is more consistent and in normal ranges. My last A1c was 6.1. I also have been averaging a 1 pound loss per week and have gone from 260 in February to 237 this morning. My goal is to reach 220. I recommend eating whatever you like several times a day as long as you try to stay on or very close to your daily calorie goal. If I can help in any way with your diabetes, please let me know.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My husband is a type 2 as well. You do however need carbs - just ensure that you chose high density carbs such as whole wheat pasta, multigrain bread and oats. These carbs are released slowly into your blood stream and you avoid the spike in blood glucose. I take it that you have some drugs on prescription, Metformin or similar to decrease your insulin It takes a time resistance? There really is no need to deprive yourself of good healthy food, and just live on salad! I concur with the post above that small regular meals are the best. Of course, raw sugars are not for you, but some fruit with skins is fine. My husband eats pears, blueberries and applies in moderation and also nuts too.
    It takes a while to get into a regime, but there is lots of help here.
    good luck on your journey.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 in August. Was sent on a nutrition for diabetics course and the main points were:

1. Stick to low glycemic index foods. Google GI or Glycemic Index for more information.
    2. Never have more than 45 grams of carbs at a single meal or sitting to prevent intraday BG spikes.
    3. Eating carbs with protein or fat reduces their GI, in that the rate at which they are broken down into glucose is slower.

Since my diagnosis I have lost weight. Once I lost about 10% of body weight my Hba1C had significantly improved and my GP advised me to start experimenting with reducing my meds (metformin). I am now on 500 mg of metformin daily down from 2000 mg as originally prescribed and my BG is normally at around 5.6 fasting. Hoping that if I continue to lose weight I can get off the metformin completely.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Lynne,

The My Fitness Pal program is a wonderful tool not only to help you adopt healthier nutrition habits, but also helps improve your blood sugar control and diabetes management when used as designed.

One of the first and paramount defenses in lowering your blood sugars is using a glucose meter to monitor the effects of the food choice you make on your blood sugars. By testing before meals and again 2 hours after meals, you will quickly learn what effect if any, those choices had on your blood sugars. The general consensus is to shoot for a test result in the range of 120 to 140 2 hours after mealtimes, however you should seek out target ranges to aim for from your healthcare provider.

The second and equally important defense is lowering your carbohydrate consumption as carbs raise and spike blood sugars to unhealthy levels for those of us with diabetes. Diabetes is a very individualistic condition each of us share and what works for me in controlling my blood sugars may or may not work for you or the next person. Your glucose meter is the new new sheriff in town and best friend, and it will also help you make the healthy food choices you need to make for good blood sugar control. As I mentioned earlier we're all different but, you might aim for 40-45 grams of carbs per meal, limiting yourself to one to two snacks a day at 15 grams of carbs each.

www.bloodsugar101.com

www.diabetesdaily.com

www.diabetes.co.uk

www.diabetesselfmanagement.com

The above links are packed with invaluable information designed to answer your questions about successful diabetes management practices.

I'm a T2 diabetic diagnosed in 1982. I'm successfully managing my blood sugars currently by using the My Fitness Pal program along with taking oral diabetes medication and insulin (MDI) therapies daily.

If you're interested, there is a very supportive, encouraging and knowledgeable group of other T2's at the MFP T2 support group.
    Have a look around the various threads and when you feel comfortable, ask questions.

I wish you quick success and good health!