Feel so insecure at the gym

Options
I started going a few weeks ago and am fairly ok at using the machines I want to use. I don't like people looking at me because a lot of the time, I'll be using about half the weight I've noticed most guys are doing. Still, there's instructions and it's easy to see what I'm meant to be doing. Likewise with cardio stuff - I've either built up some stamina or gotten better at pacing myself so that I can last longer, which is a good thing and I'm happy about that.

But I wanted to try using free weights after hearing from a lot of people online that they're way better than the machines for building strength and stability. Doesn't really help that they're in a separate, sectioned-off area of the gym that's usually full of fairly macho guys. I, meanwhile, am 'skinny-fat' and very short and have no idea what I'm doing and am way too scared to interrupt anyone and ask.

I was at the gym today and tried to watch them for a while. All I saw was a room full of men doing bicep curls, and a few guys my own age who were mostly talking and joking around. After a while I had the guts to go grab some dumbbells and attempt something resembling a bench press but with dumbbells, which seemed to get me a few raised eyebrows, so I left just as quickly as I came in. It's easy to find out exercises online that I could do, but actually going into a room full of people and attempting it in public is another thing entirely. I've got a massive fear of looking stupid and making a fool of myself, which I really feel like I did today. I'm even contemplating just forgetting the gym entirely and buying a few weights for myself, but have no idea if that's a sensible option either.

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'd say "F it" and do what you do. You've got to start somewhere, right? If what you're worried about is "looking stupid", my first suggestion is to not worry about it, however, I know how hard that can be. Easier said than done sometimes, right? In that case, maybe purchase some weights for you to lift at home. Perhaps consider practicing certain exercises at home, and doing them right, focusing on form, making sure you're doing it right. Once you finally work up the balls to go to the gym, just remember your form, your reps, your breathing, and to just keep moving. Don't stop, except to use the restroom, drink water, or stretch. Be serious about what you're doing, and do it right. That way, there's absolutely no reason for you to feel stupid.

But I still say F it and don't worry about what others think, do what you gotta do, do it hard, and do it well! :)

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Bench pressing with DB's is good for you - it forces your weaker side to compensate for itself, whereas the barbell allows your dominant side to compensate. So, good choice there!

I understand being nervous to look like a fool in the gym...I decided to get some help. I hired a personal trainer (who, it turns out, is an idiot) without much success so I figured I had to learn on my own. I bought the New Rules of Lifting for Women - there are several version of this book/program so you can easily find one directed at men - or just anyone. The author is excellent at explaining the process, the purpose, the food stuff, the science behind his suggestions. And the one I got had 6 months of weight workouts included (I am fairly certain all of the books include the workouts).

There are also a bunch of people who swear by the Stronglifts 5x5 program available on the internet (maybe youtube?).

Do some research, wear your headphones and ignore everyone else. You can totally do this!!
  • oohashbee
    oohashbee Posts: 21
    Options
    My very first day at the gym I had no idea what I was doing. I went straight up to elliptical machine and lasted less than five minutes before getting off and going home and thinking about just cancelling my membership. Luckily my membership allows me to go to all of their locations so I tried a different location the next day, mostly to save face, and it turns out I like this one a lot better.

I talked with the staff and told them my concerns and turns out i got a free 30 minute session with a trainer, which I did and learned SO much in that 30 minute session.

Not gonna lie, It's a bit expensive on my income but I'm really spreading the sessions out. Especially for smeone like me, who literally has never worked out before but is so interested in lifting and strength training, my personal trainer has been an invaluable tool. The money issue, I just think the former me would've spent that easily on fast food in a months tme. This is a much better investment, I'd say!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Most of it is in your mind. Study a program you want to use. I'll strongly recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Read the book, follow his advice on form, and get with it. Hell, bring the book to the gym with you. You may get a raised eyebrow from the curl bros, but the handful of men and women in the gym who know what they're doing will pay attention and may even offer to help. If you don't like that book try The New Rules of Lifting, or Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. The important things are the focus on compound movements with proper form, and progressive overload.

Edit: Apologies, OP. I've edited my suggestions. Also take a look at Strong Lifts. My primary suggestion though is for Starting Strength by Rippetoe though because his advice and description of form is in such wonderful detail. He's a nationally recognized coach and is very good at conveying what should be done. I use Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program but he's not as good at Rippetoe with the "why" so I use Wendler's program and Rippetoe's technique help.
  • neil4ad
    neil4ad Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started going a few weeks ago and am fairly ok at using the machines I want to use. I don't like people looking at me because a lot of the time, I'll be using about half the weight I've noticed most guys are doing. Still, there's instructions and it's easy to see what I'm meant to be doing. Likewise with cardio stuff - I've either built up some stamina or gotten better at pacing myself so that I can last longer, which is a good thing and I'm happy about that.

But I wanted to try using free weights after hearing from a lot of people online that they're way better than the machines for building strength and stability. Doesn't really help that they're in a separate, sectioned-off area of the gym that's usually full of fairly macho guys. I, meanwhile, am 'skinny-fat' and very short and have no idea what I'm doing and am way too scared to interrupt anyone and ask.

I was at the gym today and tried to watch them for a while. All I saw was a room full of men doing bicep curls, and a few guys my own age who were mostly talking and joking around. After a while I had the guts to go grab some dumbbells and attempt something resembling a bench press but with dumbbells, which seemed to get me a few raised eyebrows, so I left just as quickly as I came in. It's easy to find out exercises online that I could do, but actually going into a room full of people and attempting it in public is another thing entirely. I've got a massive fear of looking stupid and making a fool of myself, which I really feel like I did today. I'm even contemplating just forgetting the gym entirely and buying a few weights for myself, but have no idea if that's a sensible option either.

Everyone needs to start somewhere. I would just ignore others and do what you need to do. As for getting help, if you can't afford a trainer who can give you a basic workout routine to get you started, I'd start looking at books and devising a rounded routine that has you hitting all the different muscle groups. I really like a text titled "Strengh Training" (DK publishing) -- but the important thing is to find a text that gives you some sample workouts.

Starting with dumbells may be advisable, but I'm aim to move to barbells as quickly as you can. Even if you have very little weight on those barbells, you'll be working the important stabilizer muscles that you may miss with a dumbell workout.

Just get in there, and don't worry about anyone else. If they're taking time to stare and raise eyebrows, then they are wasting their energy.

edit: I must have been typing my post just as the poster above me had entered his (so sorry for the redundancy)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Most of it is in your mind. Study a program you want to use. I'll strongly recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Read the book, follow his advice on form, and get with it. Hell, bring the book to the gym with you. You may get a raised eyebrow from the curl bros, but the handful of men and women in the gym who know what they're doing will pay attention and may even offer to help. If you don't like that book try The New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. The important things are the focus on compound movements with proper form, and progressive overload.
    Agree.

I was totally intimidated at first, too. But I used Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting. I read them, studied them, and looked everything up on YouTube so I could watch explanations and see people doing it, so that I could walk into the gym like a boss. I still did a few dumb things, but I felt way more confident. After a few times in the weight room, you'll walk in like you own the place.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's pretty much all in your head. i know, because i was the same way.

remind yourself that all the guys there started where you are now.

remind yourself that they are their because they are still working on themselves.

remind yourself that their work out is not your work out, and vice versa. concentrate on yourself.

and if you really have a problem with it, go really early. thats what i did. at 530am, there is no one at my gym.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Most of it is in your mind. Study a program you want to use. I'll strongly recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Read the book, follow his advice on form, and get with it. Hell, bring the book to the gym with you. You may get a raised eyebrow from the curl bros, but the handful of men and women in the gym who know what they're doing will pay attention and may even offer to help. If you don't like that book try The New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. The important things are the focus on compound movements with proper form, and progressive overload.

This!

Also, realize that there are multiple "right" ways to do certain things, and there are many wrong ways, too. After you learn a bit more about form, you will realize that most of the guys at the gym don't really know what they are doing. They never learned, probably because what they do know was passed to them through bro lore.

Dumbbell bench presses are a fantastic alternative to barbell bench presses, by the way. Rippetoe discusses this.

The difference between Starting Strength and NROLFW is that SS emphasizes depth, whereas NROLFW is more a breadth book. SS discusses a handful of exercises in excruciating detail and gives you a simple (for some, boring) program to follow. NROLFW spends a lot less time talking about form, covers a lot of ground with a variety of exercises that require more equipment (such as Swiss balls and cable machines), and might appeal to you if you prefer more variety. I strongly favor SS of those two books, but that's the difference.

P.S. I see you're a guy not a gal, OP, so I took a quick look at the male version of NROLFW, New Rules of Lifting. My points apply to NROL too.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    F the haters! :drinker:

Honestly, to me, those guys are often the ones who look like idiots, not the people who are there genuinely trying to learn and better themselves. I'm often the only girl in the free weights area surrounded by a bunch of those macho guys and I feel self conscious sometimes too, but then I see them all trying to lift way heavier than they actually can, popping veins and dropping the weights heavily on the ground with a big grunt like 'yeah, look how strong I am'......long story short don't feel self-conscious among the dudes that are just there to show off. You're there for you and everyone has to start out somewhere!

I also strongly recommend having even just one session with a trainer. They will set you up with some exercises and teach you how to do them properly, so when you're there on your own you won't feel so clueless. It really is a big help.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    remind yourself that they are their because they are still working on themselves.

remind yourself that their work out is not your work out, and vice versa. concentrate on yourself.

Also, this!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i used to think like yourself and worry i was being judged. i found that is the case but a lot of the times people sense you are new and are looking at your form.

if someone offers you tips on your form dont hesitate to change it. while they may not be where they want to be they may have a bit more knowledge than you and trying to help you prevent an injury.

a friend at the gym was spotting me on my bench press and noted that my hands were a bit closer than normal and suggested i widen my grip. i did and handled the weight not only easier but within a month increased my weight by 20lbs
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    no words of advice from me, just positive thoughts going your way that you'll work it out in a way comfortable for you. just doing something seems admirable to me.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I was a scrawny weakling when I began lifting in high school. Trust me when I say that all those macho guys started somewhere and didn't look that way in the beginning of their journey.
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    Raise your eyebrow back.

Also do an actual program, don't just do a few random exercises with the free weights - Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 are both great beginner programs that should give you great strength gains pretty quickly because they teach form first and then add more weight (preventing injury), and since you're a relatively new lifter. Doing a program will help you focus on you and not to worry too much about bicep curl dudes.

And for goodness' sake don't skip leg day. :)

Seriously though, if you're not causing yourself injury, just ignore 'em. Preferably while wearing a tshirt with this on it:
    ORjElJv.jpg
  • Phil185
    Phil185 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength. Do it.

There's a great thread down at bodybuilding.com that summarizes the workout and answers any questions that you might have (Farley runs it and he is pretty much the most consistently helpful person I've ever met on the web):

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131379243

You're allowed to link to other websites, right? Some forums are weird about that. Sorry if you aren't.

Also, regarding the people who you think are looking at you, they aren't. They really don't care. Everyone is just really focused on themselves. If you are convinced that they are looking at you, or making fun of you, take solace in the fact that if you do Starting Strength and eat right then you'll be twice as strong as them.

You could also try IceCreamFitness's Novice 5x5, which I'm currently doing:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148036063&page=1
  • fastfree2003
    Options
    I have been going to the gym to lift weights for 15 years now! I believe most people are not looking at or judging you--it is paranoia! You are correct that free weights are more intense. Just start out with lighter weights and then incrementally build up to heavy weights! Most Macho guys at the gym are deep down "*kitten*" I have talked to many strong guys who can bench 400 pounds and they are very insecure! If you go to the gym during (non busy) hours it will help. If you use correct form and lighter weights it is WAYYY better than incorrect form and heavy weights! I am a female who can bench 100 pounds and use the lateral pull down cable machines at 100 pounds. SO IF YOU CAN do more than that then you are very much on your way!! Go for it!
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    You really can't judge a book by its cover.

Years ago, I used to avoid gyms because of a wide variety of insecurities. Only after getting a personal trainer did I first start to interact with these "perfect body" lol people and you know what? They don't have any higher likelihood of being judgmental a-holes than the rest of the population. :) And as you surely must have noticed in the MFP threads, many enjoy sharing their expertise...although face-to-face delivery is infinitely more polite than what must surely be anonymity-driven tones.

Also, you should not assume that people are sizing up your performance just because they look at you. I am usually wondering how much longer you're going to be before I can use it lol and trying to hover about to keep things going in the order I prefer.

And it could just be that the person thinks you're cute. :) I got the shock of all time when a heavy lifter who I never in a million years would have thought found me attractive, much less noticed me at the gym, asked me out. He liked my attitude and my smile.

Just hang in there. The gym is not the catwalk; everyone is there to do work and likely just respect you for doing the same.
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I definitely will check out some of the programs you mentioned.
  • amandahurm27
    amandahurm27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel real insecure about my body too but thank GOD I have an in home exercise machine, so i don't have to go out an embarrass myself . The more weight I lose the more confident i will be.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    If you do the same program on the same days at the same general time youll always see the same people and it will no longer feel so awkward. The awkwardness is short lived.

Everyone starts out with bad form and most start out in poor shape. You're just gonna have to suck it up and realize that those guys are more experienced than you.

Pick a program and stick with it. Within a couple months you'll have much better form on all the exercises. As for lifting lighter loads, it is what it is. The weight will go up fast in the beginning stages.