I am embarrassed to ask this

Options
2»

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

I checked your exercise diary from yesterday. I highly doubt you burned THAT much from dancing. You're over-estimating your calories burned and eating them back. The only exercise I would even consider eating back are the ones burned from your insanity workouts.

The dancing is legit, I swear. I weigh 250 lbs and my HR was around 140 - 150 for about 2.5 hours straight. It even got around 170 for a moment when I jumped around to some 80's music. (I had to settle down a bit after that, though, because I didn't want to get overly fatigued.) I wore a HRM the entire time and was moving for the sake of the burn, not just for fun. I didn't stop or sit at any time and my butt burns like a mother today. ;)

I personally would NEVER add in more thant 100cals/minute of exercise. 2.5hours would be 1500cals at best. I do hill sprints and work my heart up to 180-190 at times, and I never have had my HRM give me more than than a burn of 10cals/minute. You gave yourself 2600cals from exercise, so unless you are legitimately working out for over 4 hours (which I think would be RIDICULOUS) there is no way you are burning that much.

I use a Polar FT4.
  • Reepir
    Reepir Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Looking over your profile with the medical issues you have that can cause water retention to be higher then normal especially when you start moving a lot more then you were before ( like with insanity). Give it around three weeks to see a change on the scale. Until then get a cloth measuring tape and take some body measurements and I am sure you will see a change there first! Also make sure you are drinking enough water before and after the work out. Drinking at least 1 liter before working out is best for your body because it will soak it up and sweat it out instead of using what you have and dehydrating you even as you drink more while moving! Make sure to drink at least 1 liter of water after as well to balance what you burn out. This is the best practice for high intensity work outs such as Insanity.

But seriously I have been at this for 10 days lost 5 pounds in the first 4 days and haven't lost a pound since but have dropped an inch across my entire body.

I sent you a friends request cause I have PCOS as well and I feel we can relate on a number of things!
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity, and the first month I lost over 10 inches and ONE pound. I looked way different, but on the scale it only said a one pound loss. So yes, take measurements and photos. Don't worry about the scale, the scale doesn't say anything about they way your body looks.

I followed your advice - and the advice of a few others - and took my measurements. I've lost 4.5 inches (total) from my waist and hips!!! That's crazy! :D

I am so shocked by this!
  • CysterWigs
    Options
    I personally would NEVER add in more thant 100cals/minute of exercise. 2.5hours would be 1500cals at best. I do hill sprints and work my heart up to 180-190 at times, and I never have had my HRM give me more than than a burn of 10cals/minute. You gave yourself 2600cals from exercise, so unless you are legitimately working out for over 4 hours (which I think would be RIDICULOUS) there is no way you are burning that much.

I use a Polar FT4.

I am using a MIO watch of some kind. I don't remember the model. It's pretty accurate, though, because I am enrolled in a metabolic study at UGA for the effects of aerobic exercise on fatty liver and I was able to compare my results to the ones on the monitor they have me wear for the study. It's pretty right on.

A big reason why I burn more calories is my weight. Try doing your current routine with enough weights strapped to you that you end up weighing 250 lbs. Then you'll get why my burn rate is so much higher. Fatter people actually have faster metabolisms (on average) than people of a normal weight. Our bodies have to work a lot harder to do basically anything because we also have to support our weight.

I don't normally work out such a "ridiculous" amount. If you look at the rest of my journal, you'll see that I average about 40 minutes or so a day. Yesterday was different because I went dancing. And you bet your sweet bippy I counted that as exercise. All 2.5 hours of it. I was sweating like a hog and had a great time doing it. (And, if any of y'all live near Athens, GA, I would be happy to have you join me next Saturday.) :)
  • kanadian_bear
    Options
    Are you absolutely sure there are only 176 calories in a 32 oz chocolate shake from Sonic? I would guess it to be somewhere between 840 and 1,410 myself.
  • CysterWigs
    Options
    Are you absolutely sure there are only 176 calories in a 32 oz chocolate shake from Sonic? I would guess it to be somewhere between 840 and 1,410 myself.

I only had a sip of my boyfriend's shake. I did not consume one to myself. I thought I was actually over-estimating to be a tad conservative.

Likewise, the sampler from the day before was just 1/2 a fried cheese stick, but it's hard to account for calories when you go out to eat. I always try to over-estimate a tad just to play it safe.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    you have some good advice above so I so I wont go over it.

I'm not sure what a lunar bar is, but I'm guessing its a processed cereal bar. for 190 calories you could have an egg with a piece of toast and a pretty big serve of mushrooms with some spinach. personally, I'd say that lunar bad is doing nothing for you.

a little bit of googling and I found a 5 best / five worst nutrition bars, luna ranked no1 worst.

"Just because it’s advertised as a “woman’s bar” doesn’t mean it should have a place in your purse. These bars are filled with difficult-to-absorb minerals and vitamins (like Vitamin D2) that will slow your body down instead of giving you that desired burst of energy, says Hundt. We're also nervous about the amount of soy and the presence of vegetable glycerin in it, too."

http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/07/16/the-5-best-and-worst-nutrition-bars/#the-5-best-and-worst-nutrition-bars-7

there are 5 good options there. but you could probably do better for breakfast than something like that.

not tryin to be a hater, just tryin to help :)
  • CysterWigs
    Options
    not tryin to be a hater, just tryin to help :)

I totally appreciate it. I will have to check into that. Thank you for looking that up for me. I would have never thought that would be an issue!
  • scubar17
    scubar17 Posts: 43
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of good advice and I'll just add my own experience: I've been doing a Brazil Butt Lift/Insanity/Hip Hop Abs hybrid program for 30 days now but have only lost 3.8 pounds--what a disappointment for all that sweating I've been doing! I too was asking myself, "What am I doing wrong?" "How could I not be losing more weight?" But at the same time, I've lost 9 inches; people are starting to call me skinny; and I've gotten into clothes I haven't been able to wear in years!

I've stopped weighing myself every week--now it's only monthly and I take measurements (and photos too!). The scale really doesn't tell you the whole story so keep doing what you're doing--never give up and you'll eventually reach your goals.

(Your fellow Georgian)
  • kanadian_bear
    Options

I only had a sip of my boyfriend's shake. I did not consume one to myself. I thought I was actually over-estimating to be a tad conservative.

Likewise, the sampler from the day before was just 1/2 a fried cheese stick, but it's hard to account for calories when you go out to eat. I always try to over-estimate a tad just to play it safe.
  • kanadian_bear
    Options

Great idea when you're just not sure. I do the same. I overestimate my calories when I don't trust what I've been told and it's so far worked out well for me. I wish you well on your journey.