homemade crockpot yogurt

Options
momof4greatkids1
momof4greatkids1 Posts: 88 Member
I've made this now twice with excellent results. It's important to allow the milk to heat up to about 170, then cool it down to between 120-130 degrees F before adding your starter. I use yogourmet yogurt starter, but you can use just some plain yogurt, the fresher the better. The young cultures are stronger and more potent.
I cover my crackpot with a quilted pillow case and it maintains the temp very well.
I use organic whole milk, just for a special treat, but you can use any kind of milk, from non-fat to whole depending on your tastes.
Oh, also I skip the straining step. Mine came out with a pretty decent consistency so I just eat it that way.
I make 1/2 gallon at a time and it's very budget friendly.

INGREDIENTS & SUPPLIES
8 cups of milk
1/2 cup yogurt with live cultures
Crockpot
Bath towel
Cheesecloth
Strainer

DIRECTIONS
Pour 8 cups of milk (or 16 cups which is 1 gallon if you're doubling the recipe) into a large crockpot. Set to LOW for 2 1/2 hours.
Turn crockpot off and let sit with lid on for 3 hours.
Add 1/2 cup yogurt (or 1 cup for a double recipe), place lid back on, and wrap a bath towel around the crockpot. You're goal is to make a dark, insulated environment for the live cultures to exponentially grow.
Let crockpot sit covered (with lid and towel), not heating for 8-12 hours. I usually try to start the yogurt process by 3pm in the afternoon so this 8-12 hour step happens overnight.
In the morning, your milk will look like the top photo above - YOGURT!
Line a strainer with a cheesecloth and strain yogurt to desired consistency. Without straining your yogurt will be a drinkable consistency - perfect for smoothies. But, if you're wanting to spoon eat it or make it more like "normal" you'll want to strain it for 15-30 minutes.

Replies

• lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am really interested in trying this! How long does it keep in the fridge and would you subtract calories from your recipe for the drained whey? I read each cup of whey is 59 cals.
  • freshpika
    freshpika Posts: 6
    Options
    Bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've made this now twice with excellent results. It's important to allow the milk to heat up to about 170, then cool it down to between 120-130 degrees F before adding your starter. I use yogourmet yogurt starter, but you can use just some plain yogurt, the fresher the better. The young cultures are stronger and more potent.
    I cover my crackpot with a quilted pillow case and it maintains the temp very well.
    I use organic whole milk, just for a special treat, but you can use any kind of milk, from non-fat to whole depending on your tastes.
    Oh, also I skip the straining step. Mine came out with a pretty decent consistency so I just eat it that way.
    I make 1/2 gallon at a time and it's very budget friendly.

INGREDIENTS & SUPPLIES
    8 cups of milk
    1/2 cup yogurt with live cultures
    Crockpot
    Bath towel
    Cheesecloth
    Strainer

DIRECTIONS
    Pour 8 cups of milk (or 16 cups which is 1 gallon if you're doubling the recipe) into a large Crockpot. Set to LOW for 2 1/2 hours.
    Turn Crockpot off and let sit with lid on for 3 hours.
    Add 1/2 cup yogurt (or 1 cup for a double recipe), place lid back on, and wrap a bath towel around the Crockpot. You're goal is to make a dark, insulated environment for the live cultures to exponentially grow.
    Let Crockpot sit covered (with lid and towel), not heating for 8-12 hours. I usually try to start the yogurt process by PM in the afternoon so this 8-12 hour step happens overnight.
    In the morning, your milk will look like the top photo above - YOGURT!
    Line a strainer with a cheesecloth and strain yogurt to desired consistency. Without straining your yogurt will be a drinkable consistency - perfect for smoothies. But, if you're wanting to spoon eat it or make it more like "normal" you'll want to strain it for 15-30 minutes.
    Mind sharing the link? Thanks for the recipe... I know I've seen it but have since misplaced it.. perfect timing!:wink:
  • Shadowcub
    Options
    Here's another thread that has a lot of info about making yogurt various ways, including in a crockpot and the nutritional analysis for the whey you drain off to make Greek-Style yogurt.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Here's another thread that has a lot of info about making yogurt various ways, including in a crockpot and the nutritional analysis for the whey you drain off to make Greek-Style yogurt.

You forgot to post the link :wink: At least, I can't see one on my iPad.
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Shadowcub
    Options

You forgot to post the link :wink: At least, I can't see one on my iPad.

EEEK! Bad cub! Bad!

Here's the link for real this time:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1013648-makin-yogurt?hl=makin'+yogurt